I Got No Spark - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING EXTRAS! > VINTAGE SLEDS

Old 02-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
panteraguy

Mileage: n/a
Primary Sled: 76 ski doo bombardier
Where I sled: 76 ski doo bombardier

whats up, i am new to my 76 ski doo and know nothing about them. last summer i got this one for free and had it running for the most part (some fuel delivery issue), but now that the snow is falling she again doesnt run. now the issue is a no spark. i was told that the kill swithch is the first thing to check, it was a broken, but i think it still functioned, so i grounded both sides and still nothing. i replaced the plug wires, and cleaned the tips of the mags, but i have no idea where to go from here. please help me, i wanna use this thiing this year.
panteraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:54 AM   #2
Stealthrtsc

Primary Sled: Drifter
Where I sled: MI

Test the Coil, Make sure its good.
Check Points (If equiped)
Change Spark plugs
Check Kill switchs, I would disconnect the kills and see if it runs if so its got kill switch issues!

hope it helps
Stealthrtsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
panteraguy

Mileage: n/a
Primary Sled: 76 ski doo bombardier
Where I sled: 76 ski doo bombardier

Quote:
Test the Coil, Make sure its good.
Check Points (If equiped)
Change Spark plugs
Check Kill switchs, I would disconnect the kills and see if it runs if so its got kill switch issues!

hope it helps[/b]
how can i test the coils?
panteraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
bwiencek

Primary Sled: 83 Polaris 440 sport, 74 Skidoo TNT 440SE

Quote:
how can i test the coils?[/b]
Voltmeter - set it on the resistance setting and check resistance between the 'power' leads, resistance between plug tower and ground, and resistane between plug tower and 'power' connections. The "I don't know electricity" method to test the coil pack is to get a plug, set it on the engine ground then take a pair of wires and momentarily TOUCH a 12v battery - it should spark real strong at the plug - don't hold the wires on the battery as it'll burn up the coil.

If it's a dual cylinder then chances are that it's NOT the coil as the chances of both going bad at once are pretty darn rare. Actually I'd say it's in the wiring as if it's a dual cylinder that means 2 points, 2 condensors, 2 coils - each one almost acts like an independant 1 cylinder engine (they share a common magneto coil though).

Pull the electrical harness connection by the engine that runs to the handlebars - if it starts or you have spark then you've got a wiring/switch problem. If no spark still then start troubleshooting - you'll probably have to pull the starter rope and get to the points and clean/replace them.
bwiencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:40 AM   #5
mchlmarkes

Mileage: 100
Primary Sled: 1990 yamaha exciter570
Where I sled: massena,ny

hi there i'm new to this sight but see that u have same problem with no spark my kids sled is 1977 bombadier tnt everest with a 399 not original motor but last year it did the same thing . when it did start it run good for few hundred feet then stall out wait 5minutes then run another few hundred feet stall out .brought it to shop it was in the stator plate replaced that ran fine for a while but did the same thing . this year it only has spark on clutch side not other external coil is good but internal keeps failing about tired of it.dont know anymore.somebody told me it will only spark one side until its running then both will engage dont really know.
mchlmarkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
Dimetera

Primary Sled: 1999 Polaris XC 700
Where I sled: Anywhere and Everywhere
Send a message via MSN to Dimetera

they both should have spark at all times. if the stator was replaced i really do not think that would be the problem. check your carb settings and if you only have spark off of one coil then check your wiring because you should have spark coming off of both.

Past Sleds
1975 Alouette Super Brute 440 F/C
1982 Polaris Indy 340 TXL

Visit My Snowmobile Website @ http://www.betsysledz.tk
Dimetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
billww
Premium Member

Mileage: 1500++
Primary Sled: 1998 Summit 670 600zl cat
Where I sled: WIS Beaver Dam Or a snow coverd lake
Send a message via Yahoo to billww

Check your plug wires to are you replacing plugs one side all the time pm me let me know?
Advertisement