Yamaha Ss440 Low Speed Bog - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
I am having trouble. The motor was rebuilt, I put an aftermarket airfilter on to make carb mods easier. I have a bog at low to mid throttle positions. Seems that it runs lean in the low spoeed circuit. It is a keihin carb, I have a 172 main jet (up from the factory 165). The plug color is great after 20 miles at that jet#. It has an #80 pilot. I decided late at night to drill out 2 of the 8 metering holes. It did not seem to get rid of the bog. I noted that the 1985 ss440 came with a #92 pilot jet. Or is therere something I am missing? Air screw is 1.5 and the bog does not occur if I give it a little "choke" as I go along.

Help is need as it is a pain for my daughter to "putt" around the yard...Thanks...Joel
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 06:36 PM
my ss433 had somewhat the same problem it was the fuel pump just make sure it is working proper
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Sounds like you need to fatten up the pilot jet.. Those butterfly carbs are kinda finicky. Unlike a slide valve carb, you need enough pilot jet to make the transition to mid throttle position. Try a #85 pilot first. If it gets better, play with the air screw a little. I think stock setting is 2 turns out on the SS, so try that. if you need to go more than 2 turns out, you need to go fatter, like say the 92. My SRV is at about 1.5 turns out.
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page