Snowmobile World banner

Mechanical Problems

9K views 52 replies 27 participants last post by  HonksRX-1 
#1 ·
:D have you guys noticed that in the other forums that their are alot more mechanical problem questions then in this forum..............makes you kind of glad you bought the best,most reliable sled out there dosen't it.and yet we are a minority,what's with that. ??? do these other brand guys like working on their sleds all week before they ride them or what ??? or have they just bought into marketing hype,buy north american :blahblah:

Webmaster Mode: EDIT

Poor choice of topic.

#2 ·
Just for the record i'm not trying to start snowmobile world war 3. But wifes cousins 2000 SXR 500 with 2,000 miles: hand warmers don't work, choke on 1 carb sticks, replaced 1 trailing arm, replaced the "W" arm in the rear, broke 1 motor mount, eats belts every 800 miles. Its not perfect by any means.

#5 ·
:D No complaints from me!...my 97 SX 700 has just turned over 7000 miles on it with a blue-printed, piped, clutched engine! Not once have I ever had to "raise the cab" on her while riding with all our buddies.

#7 ·
So far this year. Ive stopped to help a bunch of sleds.

3 Yamahas
4 Arctic Cats
2 Skidoos
2 Polaris.

Funny thing was that almost all of them had the same problem except the skidoos (One had a clutch failure, the other a engine failure) But all the others lost there driveshaft.

IMO this season was real hard on drive shafts. I dont know why but that seemed to be the numberone cause of breakdowns this year for me.

Anyone else find the same.

#8 ·
Powder, it always kills me that when we start a nice post the next thing you know everybody and their brother is on us like a buzzard on a gut wagon hammering Yammy! Jeolousy you say, I think this could be it possibly?.
No sled is perfect. Point well taken, and Yammy has more than enough problems as pointed out here with mid 90's twins (gas hogs, not really great performers, ect), and other models.

From a numbers point also, we are a small minority. At a recent dealer meeting for 2002/3 Yammy is about 11% of all new sled sales in Canada, while Doo is about 40%...not hard to figure out who the market leader is! Also keep in mind that Doo has been around longer and harder, with many more dealerships. In the immediate area of us we are the sole Yammy dealer for 100 miles, yet there are 4 Doo dealerships!

Realistically then from a numbers standpoint, it is logical to think that there should be 4 times as many Doos (or Cats or Polari) broke at any given time in the shop than Yammys? Im here to tell you this is not the case!

Im certainly not picking on Doo here, worked for them for years, owned them and still love them! (just doing a numbers illustration because Doo is definitley the King of sales, and even more so next year with the huge mass appeal of the Rev design). Our sleds are definitley more market/segment specific (ie RX-1), and we dont have nearly as many models!

What kills me is guys who talk from second hand experience or just inexperience (ever own any other sled or brand other than the one they are currently driving).

SXMan, I definitely agree with your points and I guess that is what I was leading up towards. Do this for a living (every day, not just on weekends) for years and see not only the stuff you sell come back, but the competition, and you get a pretty good idea of where the problems are and with who (and for the most part it aint Yammy!)(we fix all brands and sell lots of used).

Talk to our parts manager...we stock more of the competitions parts than our own!

Just my opinion and observations over years........all brands have excellent models in one form or another! The only bad sled is one that leaves you stranded in -40 or costs you too much money!

#9 ·
Actually to tell the truth down home there are a few older 250s, 300s and 340s. The by's love em and it's pretty tough to best the longtrack Bravo in the woods , and the shoet track is almost bullet proof.
Question? With these oil injection units ( dosen't matter which brand) how come they only put a low oil warning light on them? I seen guys loose their pump while riding at night (no light comes on) then lose their engine (all brands). One guys pump stuck wide open while hauling logs out at night, needless to say the oil in the tank didn't last as long as it usually does. Driving slow with logs in tow, he didn't notice the performance loss until the oil ran out ( found out later the light was blown). Although most people down home use Ski-Doo's But they swear by those Yammies :)

#10 ·
maybe i'm just being mean but i honestly get sick of people bad mouthing my ride without any facts to back it up.i have not had any problems in 4 years on my sled and when i tell people this they say i must have the only one...........what's up with that ???

#11 ·
Powder it seems to me that you started the bashing with your comments - I have owned and rode all brands - IMO Yamaha has the best fit and finish of all the sleds but lets face it no one brand is better than the rest hands down - I currently ride a F7 - I had a problem the first day I had it out but after that it has ran perfect. The front rail cap came off and tore the track, but I had the same thing happen on a Mountain Max. There is nothing wrong with being brand loyal but lets all face the facts, all man. make good and bad sleds.

#14 ·
:thumbsup: It's so different to have the dealer call me more than I have to go visit him-He calls to make sure I'm a happy camper and to thank me when I send him a customer. Feels funny not signing my paycheck over to a dealer.........

#15 ·
So far ive got 42000 trouble free KM with all my skidoos together. They still pull like Day one. Some are sold now but only becasue I wanted somthing new.

Only thing is right now my Mach seems a little week. I need to refresh the clutch and maybe change the reeds. But after that im back in buisness.

#16 ·
who really cares, why do most of the people have to bash what other people ride and why does everyone have to try and sell their brand of sled to other people i dont really care. you better believe that im gonna spend my money on what i wanna ride and not something someone tells me to.

im so sick of "this sled breaks down more than this other sled," "this sled is faster than this sled," "that rev will really outhandle anything you've ever ridden even if your a sucky rider," "my mom can out wrestle your mom," and other crap like that

sorry just venting

#18 ·
I'm not going to start brand bashing here but i think the Ski-Doo Rev has the nicest fit and finish, and for the reliablitly part they are fixing all motors problems.

By the way i'm not saying i dont like Yamahas, they're nice sleds. But i think the 2-stroke ski-doo is and will be always at the top. I think that the majority of riders like 2-stroke over 4-stroke. ???

#19 ·
:hallo1: I agree most people like 2-smokers over fours, but until this year, what choices were on the market in the 4-stroke world? The AC 660 with a whopping 58 h.p.?

4-strokes are the wave of the future, especially with the tree-hugger movement and the 2006 pollution statutes in the states. The new Ski-Doo 4-stroke 1000 touring is nice, but for shear go-power the Yamaha is hands-down the sled to go with. AC is introducing the 660 Turbo for 2004-think they would have done that if it wasn't for the RX-1? I still have a 2-stroke, but the RX-1 just makes it look OLD.

#23 ·
:thumbsup:

Machzzzzz1-

Change in the market place happens slowly. Yamaha has come up with an out of the park home run (yeah, it's springtime) in the RX-1. I've ridden but never owned ski-doos. I understand they are good machines. I feel like the RX-1 is a better machine and other manufacturers will be chasing after them making the next big break through. Like throwing a turbo on a 660. Maybe your French (o.k. French Canadian) Buddies at Bombardier will figure out a transfer case and a clutch so you can have a 4 speed sled with overdrive-who knows what's next? Most likely with politics in the mix, You'll see a lot more 4-strokes in the next decade. By 2006, I don't think the SDI will meet the emisisons standards.

Enjoy your sled, let me enjoy mine........

#26 ·
Originally posted by piped bravo@Apr 16 2003, 03:20 PM
were does it say the s.d.i. met the emmisions for 06 and the RX did not.....just curious. :doh:
I read it somewhere also, but i also read in other mags that the rx1 does meet the 2006 emmitions. Then it some it says it doesnt but they can easily add a clean running efi to meet the emmitions standard but it would add to the cost of an already pricy sled the article said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.