Snowmobile World banner

sized engine?? 2000 indy 340

1K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  Newfryder 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok guys, looking for some input here.

I have a 2000 polaris 340 touring appx. 7xxx miles, all stock.
The wife took it out for a day of riding with her friends, had a blast and parked it. About 3 or 4 hours later she went to start it and the electric start just made a clicking noise and the pull cord wont move. So she calls me for help.

So I have read in some posts that if you play with the primary clutch, trying to turn it by hand, after a grinding noise it may loosed up and be fine(crank bearings coming apart) In other posts it is said if the crank bearing is gone one can move the primary clutch from side to side by hand. Mine does not do this, so I don't think it is the problem. But...

I can turn the primary clutch forward and back maybe 2 or 3 inches with both plugs pulled. As I am turning the clutch I hear a loud grinding noise, think it is from the clutch side cylinder but not sure. I am wondering if it is the crank bearing and I haven't played with the clutch enough or if it is a melted piston?

Anyway, we are in the middle of a blizzard here in Newfoundland right now and the machine is buried in snow a mile from home so I haven't tried too much yet. Just turning the primary and spraying wd40 in each plug hole.

What do u guys think my problem is here?

Will post more when I get the machine home and have a better look at it.

Thanks, Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
Well the blizzard ended, just got the machine home and it turns out it is the crank bearings.
I can play with the primary and move it each way a little at a time to where the thing turns completely over, so piston is not melted.
So now its time to tare it down and see what damage is done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.