Snowmobile World banner

88 Yamaha Phazer

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  blizard 
#1 ·
hey

im looking at buying a used phazer for next year, but it has a small problems. the cowling, seat, track and everything is mint, but the crank shaft wont turn over. the engine was taken a part and the pistons, cylinders all look good. its just the crank would turn.

what could be causing the this?? how much are bearing?? are they hard to replace? can you buy new crankshafts?? is it worth just replacing one bearing in the middle of the shaft??

also, what are phazers like?? i know its a 485, but is it a nice ride?? how quick are they??

thanks for any help

alec

#3 ·
personally i wouldn't touch it if you dont know for sure what is wrong in the bottom end you might end up with it and figure out the case is messed or the crank is bent or siezed or something else and a new crank would cost you about 500 bucks or maybe 300 for a rebuilt one and the sled isn't even worth how much you might have to put into it but maybe there isn't that much wrong with it and you will change a bearing and it will run like new but i wouldn't make that kind of gamble on that sled

#4 ·
i bet its the crank bearing, my 90 phazer had the same problem, it seized up on my in a field. turns out it was the clutch side crank bearing, it was just destroyed. if it is that bearing it wont be too bad to fix, although i did all the work myself, i didnt send it out to get done(which may be quite expensive) if it is in the center of the shaft its a different story, that might be very expensive...bearings are $40 a piece, and a new crank could be $700, thats what i saw.

i like my phazer, it has plenty of power and is pretty fast, great acceleration.

good luck

#5 ·
also, if you are going to replace the middle crank bearing, replace them all while you are at it.

#8 ·
If you do buy it the previuos posters are right it will cost about 400-500 to get it re-built ad you likely cant do it yourself all the bearings should be replaced and the crank machined. Also while you have it apart put a fuel shut off valve in, I rebuilt my entire motor just so i could do it again. seems that Phazers have a problem with hydraulic lock. The cylinder heads can fill with fuel during trailering or in the truck and when you go to start it boom, the rod is bent in no time.

#9 ·
what do you mean they have a problem with hydraulic lock? what is that? and how does the cylinder fill up with fuel? (this would be useful to know so it doesnt happen to me)

#10 ·
A hydraulic lock is when the cylinder is full of liquid, like gas. What can happen is that without a fuel shutoff and from bouncing down the road the floats will not keep the needle shut and the carb will overflow into the cylinder.

#11 ·
ahok, thanks

#12 ·
I have two Phazer cranks with two sets of bearings.

The one crank is all put together, but out of spec. All the connecting rods, bearings, seals are good.

I was going to list erverything on E-Bay, but would sell all for $125.

Worse case scenario you take the crank to shop and have them align. Local shop here wanted to charge me $90 todo.

I'm guessing they may have to take apart and put back together.

All bearings are in good shape.

I decided to part out cases, crank cyl etc.

e-mail me at moneal@fbx.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.