Snowmobile World banner

Track Tension

12K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  paul yarek 
#1 ·
What is the proper track tension for a 2002 MxZ 800 (1" track)? What is the best way to check it without any special tools? I have heard I should lift the back off the ground and set 20lbs on the track (bottom) and it should sag about 1 inch. What do you all say? Thanks.

#3 ·
The shop manual says with 16 pounds of force the track should deflect 1 3/16" to 1 3/8". Measurement is supposed to be done at around 68 degrees F. As to the best or the easiest way.....the easiest is mentioned above. Get it up in the air, and exert some down force and measure. You don't want it too tight as it causes excess friction and your slides will wear quickly. Too loose and it will rachet.

#4 ·
Wanted to add that my track is studded. I put 20lbs on the bottom of the track with the back end up in the air and I got 1". Is this to tight for a studded track? Thanks.

#5 ·
I always start with the manufacturers specs and then loosen from there. If your track ratchets on hard take-offs it is too loose, so you want your track as loose as possible (for the least amount of resistance) without it ratcheting. Make sure that when adjusting track tension you also pay attention to alignment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.