Snowmobile World banner

Ski Doo Suspension Upgrade

11K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  shockless-rider 
#1 ·
is it possible to upgrade from a sc 10 to a scII or scIII without much modfications

#3 ·
i was wondering the same thing. how much trouble is it installing the sc10II into that s chassis. and how much better is the sc10II vs the sc10.are you looking for a better ride,handling,is it faster? i know my sc10 goes great when you are pounding over the bumps fast, but in the slow stuff it gets a bit rough at times. tks dan

#5 ·
As Matt said, the SC10 II is a bolt in and it's a fully coupled skid which is very complient on washboard trails or giant whoop de doos. There are a few things to watch for when buying a used SC 10 II or III skid.
1) Oval or elongated holes in the rails on the front lower shock cross shaft.
2) Coupler shaft and bushing worn out.
3) Idler wheel locations not optimized for low snow conditions
4) Regular (non take apart HPG shocks) worn out.
5) poor maintenance

I purchased an used skid which had only 2400 miles on it and it showed all of the above except for the shocks which are TA racing models.

#6 ·
As Matt said, the SC10 II is a bolt in and it's a fully coupled skid which is very complient on washboard trails or giant whoop de doos. There are a few things to watch for when buying a used SC 10 II or III skid.
1) Oval or elongated holes in the rails on the front lower shock cross shaft.
2) Coupler shaft and bushing worn out.
3) Idler wheel locations not optimized for low snow conditions
4) Regular (non take apart HPG shocks) worn out.
5) poor maintenance

I purchased an used skid which had only 2400 miles on it and it showed all of the above except for the shocks which are TA racing models.
[/b]

is the sc III the same bolt in procedure as the sc II?
I've often considered the swap for my 97 Formula Z 583, it's absolute mint and I feel
would be worth the time and trouble and expense. I can see bolt/bushing wear being a
common problem. What would be a ball park cost of a decent used suspension?
Cheers
Dave

#7 ·
the SC 10 III skid you need to move the mounting holes 5/8". A lot of people said they did a lot of tinkering to get the front suspension right but I am still tinkering with mine and I only have the SC 10 II in it.

Ballpark.... Put my skid in for $220 and sold my old one on ebay for $200. That was with HPG take aparts in good condition.

#8 ·
I'm in the process of installing a SC10 III in my Mach right now, anyone who's done this I would appreciate any input. Thanks!!! It's not looking like the holes are matching up right now :bash: The mount holes in the '03 Machz must be different than mine?...

Attachments

#9 ·
LEEZER, been down this road.
You have to use your old shaft and spacers for the front mount, so just forget about that add on, its for the REV chassi, it's not in the way and wont bother anything so dont try to remove it.
Before you install, braze a 1/4 28 nut on the shaft for a grease zerk.

#17 ·
It's quite simple, all I did was held a wheel hanger (the aluminum block) up to where I wanted the wheel, and drilled through the block, that way the holes are exactly the right height.

#18 ·
It's quite simple, all I did was held a wheel hanger (the aluminum block) up to where I wanted the wheel, and drilled through the block, that way the holes are exactly the right height.[/b]
Not sure where to ask, I'm a newcomer and trying to find my way around here... anyways Can I replace stock shocks on a MXZ 380 and swap shocks from a bigger ski-doo like 600 (HPG, or any rebuildable shocks) opps, centre and rear shocks on rear suspension? THanks... been doing research for couple days now with no success...[post="help"]Newcomer HELP!![/post]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.