Snowmobile World banner

Zrt Broken Choke Lever

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ed sal 
#1 ·
Hello,

Looking for some help for a guy whose not to carb/snowmobile mechanics knowledgeable.

I have a 1997 ZRT 600 triple. My choke lever broke the other night while getting the sled ready for some riding. I bought the replacement kit from a local Arctic Cat dealer. I unscrewed the "round" screw washer holding the piece from going back into the dash. But I'm stuck now as to how to proceed. I still cannot get at the 3 way channel piece to secure the three choke cables. Do I need to take apart the plastic dash to the right of the handlebar stem to get at the pieces? Also/or should I undo the choke from the three carbs (if so, please explain how to undo cable?) .

Even if I undo the three choke cables to release some slack, I still think I have to somehow get under the plastic dash to get at the three way "T" piece. If I allow the assembly to fall/go back through the hole and through and under the dash to install the "three way T piece", is it then possible to then "snake" it back under the plastic dash back and into the hole to secure it in the dash? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.
Ed :bash:

See less See more
#2 ·
We had to change one on my buddies T-cat (96) last year in the freexing cold during a snowstorm and all we did was unscrew the first piece you said, then I remember fishing the broken piece ot with needle nose and then just knocking out the pin adn puttin gthe new one in. It was reall pretty simple, I kinda think you may be making a mountain out of an ant hill. If you still haven't got it let me know and I will look at his to remember exactly how we did it.

Originally posted by ed sal@Jan 1 2005, 06:49 PM
Hello,

Looking for some help for a guy whose not to carb/snowmobile mechanics knowledgeable.

I have a 1997 ZRT 600 triple.  My choke lever broke the other night while getting the sled ready for some riding.  I bought the replacement kit from a local Arctic Cat dealer.    I unscrewed the "round" screw washer holding the piece from going back into the dash.  But I'm stuck now as to how to proceed.  I still cannot get at the 3 way channel piece to secure the three choke cables.  Do I need to take apart the plastic dash to the right of the handlebar stem to get at the pieces?  Also/or should I undo the choke from the three carbs (if so, please explain how to undo cable?) . 

Even if I undo the three choke cables to release some slack, I still think I have to somehow get under the plastic dash to get at the three way "T" piece.  If I allow the assembly to fall/go back through the hole and through and under the dash to install the "three way T piece", is it then possible to then "snake" it back under the plastic dash back and into the hole to secure it in the dash?  Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.
Ed :bash:
[snapback]382525[/snapback]​

#3 ·
If just the handle part broke and the eyehook part is ok, just unscrew the plastic nut and remove the little pin. You can then put on a new handle.

But, a lot of time the whole thing breaks, in which case you'll need to unscrew the round plastic nut, then push it into the underhood area. Grab the choke cables and pull. You should then be able to get at all of it, removing it completely.

You'll replace the WHOLE thing all the way to the carbs. I don't believe you can successfully take it apart at the Tee.

They break all the time, it's a real poor design. The especially break easy when the chokes get gummed up in the carb. Clean that area well and do it every single year.

#4 ·
Corey, mine broke and I got a replacement through rec leisure,,,, the box did come apart and the new piece is a t that hooks right into the 3 choke cables,,,, then snapped right back together,,,,
cost was about 5 bucks with shipping,,,, sure beats buying a new choke cable,,,

Ed, the box will come apart, it isnt that hard. I think I used a screwdriver with some prying,,,, no problems,,,

#5 ·
Thanks guys for the replies. If you'll stick with me I'd sure appreciate it.
The kit was $6 and has 3 plastic pieces, a 3 slot/port T shaped piece (one slot per choke cable), the flip top lever, and a tiny plastic pin. What broke on mine is the very end of the T piece, the stem end with a tiny hole, where the flip top is attached by the plastic pin.

It sounds as though I need to push the existing T piece through the dash, and work on it out from under the plastic cover/dash. Remove the 3 choke connections and reinstall onto the new T piece. Then, with needle nosed pliers somehow try to snake this thing back underneath the plastic dash cover (to the right of the handlebar stem) and through the dash whole, then secure it with the screw washer. Then snap the flip top lever in place and secure with the plastic pin?? Does this sound about right??
Poor design by AC, second time around for this. Dealer did it before while there for other service. THANKS a lot for staying with me on this!!!
Ed

#6 ·
thats all you do, simply pull it through the dash and get it out where you can work on it,,,,
yours broke in the same place that mine did,,, I think the harderst part about replacing it was getting the little pin to get in,,,, that was fun, but the rest was pretty easy,,,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.