Fuel Primer? Fuel Shutoff Valve? - Page 2 - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

There is a shutoff valve that looks exactly how you described, but it appears to be attached to the cooling system. I can't figure out why you'd want to shutoff the flow of coolant.

I guess I'm not prepared to put in a primer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 10:21 AM

Primers work, but it is way too easy to flood an engine with it. I know cuz I did it lots of times. Chokes are more fool proof.

Shut-offs are a must and are recommended by all manufacturers if you "trailer" the sled. Trailering vibrates the heck out of the float valve and will put raw gas into the engine. Yet another reason to have EFI since they won't be doing that. Lots of sleds have burned down at the first pull after a trailer ride.

As far as a primer is concerned you don't have to drill the carb out. Just put a "bleeder hose in the intake of the carb. Priming puts a shot of fuel in the carb to draft into the engine without need to have fuel all thru the system which is what a choke does. Newer sleds should not need them, unless you get one with a primer. Besides a primer needs to be pumped before starting and then a few times after it starts to keep it running. They work best in very cold climes.

Don't need to do all that with a efi system since once primes the pump and the second pull will fire it up.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

So once again...am I just confused, or is the coolant shutoff that I found really the fuel shutoff? Is there such a thing as a coolant shut-off?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 12:46 AM

The fuel shut off for my 97 700 RMK is attached to the coolant tank, it is a convenient place to mount it. If you follow the hoses going to it, they go to the fuel pump, not the coolant bottle.

2007 RMK 700, 2008 RMK 600, 1995 AC Prowler 2-up, 1980? AC Cheetah
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Whew!! It took a long time to get to that answer. Thanks BC Dan.

Thanks to everyone else too. I suppose if I've got the fuel shut-off, I'm set. Since my choke seems to work well enough, I'll stick with that instead of installing a primer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page