indy 500 no spark - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Question indy 500 no spark

hey everyone i am new to this forum, i was wandering if someone could help me with an issue i have with my 1999 indy 500. its a liquid cooled fuji engine. the other day went riding and the sled ran great, then 2 hrs later aafter it sat awhile, it just quit and would not get any spark and the headlights did not even try to come on when it was pulled over. a guy told me it cannot be the stator, i have tried unhooking the key switch and the kill switch, but i am still stumped, still wont get spark. is it the throttle safety switch, cdi or sumthing else? any help is greatly appreciated, i am not very electrically inclined so how too would be awesome. thanks again
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:25 AM
There is a single dark wire which has a connection near the engine. It comes out of the stator along with a bundle of wires. By disconnecting that, you remove all switches which can kill the engine. If you have no spark with that disconnected, then you'll have isolated the trouble either to the stator coil or the CDI. If you do get spark by opening that wire, you'll know your trouble is in the wiring, (a ground short), or in one of the switches.

If the problem is at the engine, first try testing the wires coming from the stator coil where they are connected with the three-prong plug. You should not read "open" or "0" on any of them. Each pair of wires should have a resistance value between infinity and 0. If your readings are clearly bad there, the stator is your likely problem. If you get resistance values between 0 and infinity, it's more likely that your CDI is not functional.

Formerly known as 63November, and before that as Golsovia.

Riding since 1983.

-Scorpion Whip
-Ski-Doo Skandic
-Yamaha Enticer LTs
-Polaris Trails

-99 Arctic Cat 550 Panther 14,000+ miles
-08 Ski-Doo 550 Backcountry
-340 eBay Edge from AK, and 10+ other states
-'11 AC T570 brand new...4000 miles
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
ok thanks alot, i hope this is my issue
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page