Chaincase issues on Polaris Indy Touring - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Chaincase issues on Polaris Indy Touring

Hello, I'm currently having some issues with the chain in the chaincase, on the Polaris Indy XLT Touring (1996). The chain isn't tight enough, as you can see all the slack on the left side in the picture below. I've tried to tighten it up with the bolts, but it just pushes it towards the gear in the middle and eventually hits it. Still doesn't do much at all. I'm wondering how I can get rid of all of the slack, as tightening the bold doesn't seem to do anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 03:09 PM

It looks like the chain is stretched or the wrong chain for the sprocket combination is being used. I'm not much help on the reverse chaincase, I've never had a Polaris one apart. But the adjuster should definitely be tightening the chain way before it is at the max. It appears to be a 66 pitch chain which is correct, so that would leave stretching if sprockets have not been replaced.

You may be able to compare your chain to a new one at the dealer to confirm yours is longer.

2007 RMK 700, 2008 RMK 600, 1995 AC Prowler 2-up, 1980? AC Cheetah
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDan View Post
It looks like the chain is stretched or the wrong chain for the sprocket combination is being used. I'm not much help on the reverse chaincase, I've never had a Polaris one apart. But the adjuster should definitely be tightening the chain way before it is at the max. It appears to be a 66 pitch chain which is correct, so that would leave stretching if sprockets have not been replaced.

You may be able to compare your chain to a new one at the dealer to confirm yours is longer.
Okay, thanks! It's probably stretched quite a bit, as we don't know the last time its been changed.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 05:20 PM

Sprockets are correct... That chain is stretched out badly and needs to be replaced. Given the dirty/discolored appearance, I would be suspicious of it having been run with little or no oil.

2012 Rush 600 Pro-R: https://plus.google.com/photos/11364...CObw59TN6NWvJg
1998 Indy 440: https://plus.google.com/photos/11364...10516040672513

Thank You to all of the members of the US Armed Forces
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 10:05 PM

The chain is probably not so much the problem as is the upper sprocket. As near as I can count, the teeth are 20 as they should be, and the chain appears to be a 66 pitch, which is standard. However, the upper sprocket is very worn which is obvious from the 'swept' appearance of the teeth. Additionally, the center sprocket shows a lot of wear as well. Chains don't "stretch" so much as they wear inside (which increases the effective chain length). And any time one of these components (Chain, main sprockets) fail or wear excessively, I would replace all three.

But there is so much slop in the pictured stuff you have there that I'd also wonder if you have a totally failed bearing on either the jack or the drive shaft. (You have more room above the upper sprocket than seems normal.)

Formerly known as 63November, and before that as Golsovia.

Riding since 1983.

-Scorpion Whip
-Ski-Doo Skandic
-Yamaha Enticer LTs
-Polaris Trails

Current:
-99 Arctic Cat 550 Panther 14,000+ miles
-08 Ski-Doo 550 Backcountry
-340 eBay Edge from AK, and 10+ other states
-'11 AC T570 brand new...4000 miles

Last edited by 162Whiskey; 12-27-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page