96 Polaris RMK Ultra bogging and dying - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

96 Polaris RMK Ultra bogging and dying

I am having issues with my 96 RMK bogging and died now it acts like its not getting gas. Im thinking plugged or frozen moisture in fuel filter. Any input would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 07:08 PM

Have you cleaned the carbs?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 09:44 PM

You may want to siphon out some gas into a clear container and let it separate to see if it has water in it...

+1 on cleaning the carbs, that should be yearly maintenance and is a good place to start.

2007 RMK 700, 2008 RMK 600, 1995 AC Prowler 2-up, 1980? AC Cheetah

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

I just bought it and was told that the carbs had just been cleaned although they dont look like it from the outside. I figured they would look clean but they look dirty. This sled is a triple and I cant wrap my head around three carbs doing the exact same thing at the same time. The only sense I can make of it is the problem has to be before the carbs. There is a mechanical fuel pump but once there is a hole in the diaphram they are done and this has become an intermitten problem. am I thinking right here?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

I should fill in the blanks. A couple weeks ago on a cold day (about 20 degrees) I was riding wide open and the sled started bogging a little so I took the sled home. After a spell of warm weather ( about 40 degrees) a storm rolled in and the cold returned. I started the sled ran around town for about an hour with no problems, I put fresh premium gas in and headed up the mountain, after about 3 miles it started bogging, just a little at first but getting worst. I turned around to head down off the mountain and it died. I got it to fire but only for seconds like the bowls on the carbs were running dry then nothing. My thinking is if one carbs was having float issues I would still get something.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 12:23 PM

X2 on testing the gas for water. Problem could be several things. Start with the basics. Clean the carbs good (should be done on any new to you sled and every year). Check all gas lines and replace if any doubt. New plugs. Trim back plug wires. New fuel filter. Check the gas line in the tank (could be cracked, broken, or disconnected causing the sled to starve for fuel). Check impulse line from engine to fuel pump (if there is fuel in it, diaphragm is ruptured). Clean and inspect clutches.
It's important to eliminate the basics first before further testing. I would test the compression also so you have a base line.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 06:27 PM

Next time it dies, check for spark. It could also be a coil going bad or a stator problem that has issues when it's warm...

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 01:46 AM

Thinking outside the above...

Look through the carbs at the pistons and make sure you don't have a broken skirt.

Check for leaks in the carb boots and crank seals.

2015 Renegade Backcountry 600
1999 Jag 340 Deluxe
1999 Z 370
1996 Touring E 380
1995 Summit 583
1994 Indy XTL SKS 600
1986 Tundra 250
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

I figured out that the sled runs out of gas at about a quarter of a tank by the guage so as you mentioned it has to have something to do with the hose in the tank. I have found a couple other issues that have to be dealt with first. I had a coolant problem and in searching for the leak I discovered the o ring on the cap for the middle cylinder was blown out and when I pulled the cap off I found a crack in the head and a small hole melted thru the head on the crack. That explains the o-ring being blown out and the coolant issue. I also found the two cylinders on the pto side leaking gas and the floats are set right so I am picking up a new head and new needle and seats today.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 12:30 PM

Isn't working on snowmobiles fun! (keep saying that, over and over and over )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page