Synthetic Oil For 600 Sdi - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Which oil do you use for the 600 SDI. I notice that BRP has a new oil for the SDI engines for this year, a synthetic blend, what happened to XPS II? What do you use: XPS II, AMsoil, Blue Marble, Ipone, Legend ZX, Castrol, Bardahl, Shell, etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 09:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Steimy
Ski-doo now calls all of their oil just XPS. There is xps mineral, xps synthetic, xps semi synthetic ,bla bla bla. You must at a minimum use the semi synthetic in your SDI. I use the xps synthetic. My dealer when I asked said the very best oil you can use for this sled is the xps synthetic. Not just to make a sale either because when I asked about grease for the chassis he could have told me the $18 grease from ski-doo was the best but he said the $3 white lithium is just fine.

91 safari 377
96 formula sl 500
00 mxz 700
05 mxz 600 H.O SDI (now)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 10:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to JasonF
I really wonder about this issue as well, my dealer now says that Doo is recomending the XPS blend, so doesn't this mean just about any good synthetic would work? Amsoil, Klotz, Blue Marble, and so on are all good sythetics that would seem to me to exceed a blended oil.

[img]Past
77 polaris colt 340
78 artic cat el tigre 440
96 formula sl 500
98 formula z 583
02 mxz 700
current 05 Renegade-X 600 SDI w/1.75 track
04 GSX 500ss (wife)
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 10:12 PM

I'll be running Amsoil in mine as I did with my past two machines... never had a problem with sticky valves, although I've always done preventative maintenance and cleaned them every 2000 km or so.

“Love is like racing across the frozen tundra on a snowmobile which flips over, trapping you underneath. At night, the ice-weasels come.”
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 10:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Steimy
He said other synthetics are fine, He said the amsoil interceptor was a good oil. His biggest point was that ski-doo spends millions in research on these oils so that they are formulated to work best for their sleds. That other blend (semi-synthetic) was just offered because it is available for a lower price if you don't want to spend $40 a gal. or whatever it may be.

91 safari 377
96 formula sl 500
00 mxz 700
05 mxz 600 H.O SDI (now)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 12:44 AM

Quaker state just sent out a promotion package about a new full synthetic, "Xtreme watercraft/snowmobile". Looking at the specs and msds it VERY close to the xpsII. They even go as far as to claim its a subtitute for rotax oils. It's iso-egd rated and should sell for $15-16 a gal. Looking at the specs it should be a good buy, we'll see.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steimy@Nov 18 2004, 10:44 PM
He said other synthetics are fine, He said the amsoil interceptor was a good oil. His biggest point was that ski-doo spends millions in research on these oils so that they are formulated to work best for their sleds. That other blend (semi-synthetic) was just offered because it is available for a lower price if you don't want to spend $40 a gal. or whatever it may be.
[snapback]365131[/snapback]
That's the most hilarious thing I've ever heard! SkiDoo contracts out their oil business just like all the rest of the manufacturers so they actually spend next to nothing. You just pay more for the SkiDoo name on the same synthetic made by a major supplier. That's why the other synthetics are "fine". I buy whichever I find on sale - Klotz, Blue Marble, and Amsoil all work great and reduce smoke and carbon build up.

G MAN
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 09:35 AM

It is well known that Ski-Doo oil is made by Castrol. It's a special blend, but it's made by Castrol. I am sure the million and one other quality synthetic oils on the market provide the same or better protective qualities as the Ski-Doo oil.

The Quaker State oil sounds interesting, especially if it's in the price range mentioned.

“Love is like racing across the frozen tundra on a snowmobile which flips over, trapping you underneath. At night, the ice-weasels come.”
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 03:41 PM

When I bought my GSX Limited 600 SDI I asked my Ski-Doo dealer which oil to use and he recommended the Amsoil Interceptor Oil. So that is what I have been using and the sled runs great.

2005 Mach Z
2004 GSX Limited 600 H.O. S.D.I.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to revrnd
Quote:
Originally posted by JasonF@Nov 18 2004, 10:29 PM
I really wonder about this issue as well, my dealer now says that Doo is recomending the XPS blend, so doesn't this mean just about any good synthetic would work?* Amsoil, Klotz, Blue Marble, and so on are all good sythetics that would seem to me to exceed a blended oil.
[snapback]365123[/snapback]
I was thinking the same last winter after 'doo gcame out w/ the blended oil.

I see White Water Marine in Peterborough is now selling Ipone.

"A bad day on the trails, beats a good day at work!" Revrnd
"We're on a mission for God" Jake & Elwood Blue
"Remember, if you haven't got anything nice to say, say it often." Ed the Sock
1981 Elan
2004 Chev K2500HD
1986 Chev Monte Carlo SS

http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums/distance.php

http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums/accomodations.php

Previous Sleds:
1983 Citation 3500
1985 Formula MX
1990 Mach 1
1995 MXZ 440
1998 MXZ 500
2001 MXZ 600
2004 Legend 600SDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page