96,97,98 triple/triple crank failures - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Anyone out there that had a crank failure on a 96,97,98 ski doo triple/triple please e-mail or respond to my posting. If you had any luck getting ski doo to stand behind their f@$k up plese share the info so others may benefit. I am a die hard devoted ski dooer, but my pride has definately been hurt and I am currently jaded towards my second love (Bombardier) at how she has disappointed me. Ski Doo definately had design flaws in the 96,97,98 Mach-1 and F-III triple/triples and they knew it. They sent out service bulletins to the dealers , but didn't recall the sleds or even send out service warnings to the owners of therse sleds. Worse yet when they blow up (not if, but when) they left tens of thousands of once satisfied dooers, hanging out to dry. I find this pretty ironic for a company reputed to be the industry leader to do something like this, they don't even give the replacement parts for free or even at a discounted price, so not only are they f@$#ing us customers, they are making money off of their own engineering screw ups. Enough bithching by me, it's time to hear the concensus of the masses. If we can get together enough people together, I will see what I can do to get Ski Doo to right their what harm their erroneous judgement has caused their reputation, and see if we can't all feel satified in their resolution
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 10:13 AM
I guess I am lucky then. I have had 9 triple-triple's 95-97 but after breakin I use synthetic oil at full injection rates. In fact my improved stock 1996 F-111 turns 10,350 rpm at it's designed peak, being an improver I premix oil-synthetic. How about Mike Houle dominating his F-111 Class and not blowing a triple for years. I do know it can happen, I bought a sled that had replaced under warranty at 120 miles. I wish you way better luck in the future! It sounds like Cat when the first Zr 600 twins came out- no recall to begin with but the dealer in West Yellowstone had 90 new engines on hand within a month of release, but customer knew nothing of the problem. Large companies will try to cut corners, we should be paying less for our sleds and parts because of our dollars strength over the Canucks, for our new Doo's.

sharkey the snowman
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 02:33 PM
I just had my 96 Formula III 600 triple blow the bearing on the PTO side of the crank this past weekend, taking out the piston on that side too. *I started doing some research and it appears I'm not the only one!

Any recommendations out there from those that have gone through this? *

I want to get it fixed (especially since I've only put 20 miles on it personally since I bought it from another private party). *I'm hearing quotes anywhere from $800 on up to new sled prices.

Any recommendations on reputable place for service? I'm in SE Wisconsin (Kenosha County). *I'm more than willing to drive awhile if I can get it fixed and done RIGHT!

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 02:54 PM
Send a message via MSN to jwheeler
A buddy of mine got a 97 Formula III 600 and his went to pieces last week, i mean pieces when we took it apart it was completly ruined, pistons, cylinders, and crank. ??? *He had 5500 kms on it.

Its brothers are the LEARJET and the NEW YORK CITY SUBWAY..... care to debate performance and durability?

Theres still nothing like it...

01 700 MXZ , MBRP Race can, 1.5" Doo Sno X Track, 3" Bar Riser with FLY Mini guns, Laced with yellow and Geared to go.** ALSO FER SALE**
<span style="font-family:Optima">Skidoo.com
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 03:37 PM
ive heard even some crank bearings on the99 triple's are questionable..i agree not good pr for ski-doo.

post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

*??? *
Bad news just in; called the shop and they finished tearing down my motor: crank is beyond salvage, bearings sucked up and chipped nikasil in two cylinders, two pistons shot, two intake boots melted.....$1700.00 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Damn am I proud to ride SKi Doo,I had to get towed back by a 98 polaris with 7800 miles that hasn't been through anything other than plugs and fluids. Who else can you throw em $6500.00 bucks for a machine thats good for 2500 miles and have say thank you for your business. but f#@k you thats your problem our triples are junk. Starting to make cat or polaris look real good.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 06:33 AM
Yes, the FIII 600's were known for their bottom end bearing failures. *What I have been told from Skidoo techs was lack of oil getting into the bearings. *I run Amsoil racing oil in my '97 FIII at stock oil settings. *This will give the engine extra oil since the Amsoil flows better than other oils. *It does smoke a lot though. *Just had the engine rebuilt after 5500 km. *Some of the bearings were rough even running Amsoil. *Engine probably would have grenaded in the next 1000 km. *Suggest running synthetic, and having engine rebuilt every 4000Km.

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 07:33 AM
Seen bad crank on 97 mach1 2 97 machzs, 1 98 formul;a 111700 and 1 96 formula111600. Between the cranks and the stators I agree something should have been done.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 10:59 AM
Next time you get the engine rebuilt have the dealer make the oil jornals bigger buy drilling them out. *That will give the bearings more oil. *THat is the fix.

Looking back, Only to see the sound barrier.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:26 PM
Frustrated or skidmarks..... *Email me at snowdesigns@earthlink.net. *I know of a triple crank for a couple hundred bucks at a local dealer in *East Central WI. *He stands behind it 100%..... It was there a few months ago and I almost bought it just to have. *Dont remember if it came out of a 98 mach 1 or Z, but I can find out if you want me to.b *It will save you a few hundred bucks instead of buying a new one.
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page