Mechanical Problems - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

have you guys noticed that in the other forums that their are alot more mechanical problem questions then in this forum..............makes you kind of glad you bought the best,most reliable sled out there dosen't it.and yet we are a minority,what's with that. ??? do these other brand guys like working on their sleds all week before they ride them or what ??? or have they just bought into marketing hype,buy north american :blahblah:

Webmaster Mode: EDIT

Poor choice of topic.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 07:59 PM
Just for the record i'm not trying to start snowmobile world war 3. But wifes cousins 2000 SXR 500 with 2,000 miles: hand warmers don't work, choke on 1 carb sticks, replaced 1 trailing arm, replaced the "W" arm in the rear, broke 1 motor mount, eats belts every 800 miles. Its not perfect by any means.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 12:20 AM
1700 miles so far on the SRX and nothing but smiles .

(I'm tapping on the simulated wood grain finish of my computer desk as I type this, though ).

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 02:48 PM
There also aren't as many yamaha riders on this website as other brand riders.

"The older I get the better I was"
"If I let you win will you go away?"

2002 XC 500 SP BLUE EDGE X
Summer Toy...
#32 Wissota Super Stock
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 10:21 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to SXman
No complaints from me! 97 SX 700 has just turned over 7000 miles on it with a blue-printed, piped, clutched engine! Not once have I ever had to "raise the cab" on her while riding with all our buddies.

Y A M A H A .....World Leading Technology
Harley-Davidson....a mans machine!
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 08:48 AM
They all have their problems.I seem to remember yamaha giving up on twins
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 10:51 AM
So far this year. Ive stopped to help a bunch of sleds.

3 Yamahas
4 Arctic Cats
2 Skidoos
2 Polaris.

Funny thing was that almost all of them had the same problem except the skidoos (One had a clutch failure, the other a engine failure) But all the others lost there driveshaft.

IMO this season was real hard on drive shafts. I dont know why but that seemed to be the numberone cause of breakdowns this year for me.

Anyone else find the same.

Looking back, Only to see the sound barrier.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 04:52 PM
Powder, it always kills me that when we start a nice post the next thing you know everybody and their brother is on us like a buzzard on a gut wagon hammering Yammy! Jeolousy you say, I think this could be it possibly?.
No sled is perfect. Point well taken, and Yammy has more than enough problems as pointed out here with mid 90's twins (gas hogs, not really great performers, ect), and other models.

From a numbers point also, we are a small minority. At a recent dealer meeting for 2002/3 Yammy is about 11% of all new sled sales in Canada, while Doo is about 40%...not hard to figure out who the market leader is! Also keep in mind that Doo has been around longer and harder, with many more dealerships. In the immediate area of us we are the sole Yammy dealer for 100 miles, yet there are 4 Doo dealerships!

Realistically then from a numbers standpoint, it is logical to think that there should be 4 times as many Doos (or Cats or Polari) broke at any given time in the shop than Yammys? Im here to tell you this is not the case!

Im certainly not picking on Doo here, worked for them for years, owned them and still love them! (just doing a numbers illustration because Doo is definitley the King of sales, and even more so next year with the huge mass appeal of the Rev design). Our sleds are definitley more market/segment specific (ie RX-1), and we dont have nearly as many models!

What kills me is guys who talk from second hand experience or just inexperience (ever own any other sled or brand other than the one they are currently driving).

SXMan, I definitely agree with your points and I guess that is what I was leading up towards. Do this for a living (every day, not just on weekends) for years and see not only the stuff you sell come back, but the competition, and you get a pretty good idea of where the problems are and with who (and for the most part it aint Yammy!)(we fix all brands and sell lots of used).

Talk to our parts manager...we stock more of the competitions parts than our own!

Just my opinion and observations over years........all brands have excellent models in one form or another! The only bad sled is one that leaves you stranded in -40 or costs you too much money!
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 05:16 PM
Actually to tell the truth down home there are a few older 250s, 300s and 340s. The by's love em and it's pretty tough to best the longtrack Bravo in the woods , and the shoet track is almost bullet proof.
Question? With these oil injection units ( dosen't matter which brand) how come they only put a low oil warning light on them? I seen guys loose their pump while riding at night (no light comes on) then lose their engine (all brands). One guys pump stuck wide open while hauling logs out at night, needless to say the oil in the tank didn't last as long as it usually does. Driving slow with logs in tow, he didn't notice the performance loss until the oil ran out ( found out later the light was blown). Although most people down home use Ski-Doo's But they swear by those Yammies
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
maybe i'm just being mean but i honestly get sick of people bad mouthing my ride without any facts to back it up.i have not had any problems in 4 years on my sled and when i tell people this they say i must have the only one...........what's up with that ???
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page