340 Enticer Starts In Reverse - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Can anyone on here tell me why this thing is starting in clockwise rotation, it starts and runs good ,its just rotating wrong way. This is a motor that was purchased used and slapped in...thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 11:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to whanker57
So basically you are saying that the primary sheave, the one on the motor, is rotating clockwise?

First off...there isn't something stupid wrong is there? For some stupid reason is the engine supposed to run that way? I can't imagine that it would, but I dunno, this is kinda weird...

Now, how is the motor started? Do you pull start it, or electric?

Either way, I suppose its possible that the motor timing is so far off that the spark is occuring BEFORE the piston reaches Top Dead Center, causing combustion forcing the piston the OPPOSITE way, and basically running the motor backwards, much like the reverse system used by manufacturers today...

When you pull/electric start, does the engine turn over (when pulling) and then the pull cord jerk when the engine fires? I am just pulling at straws here, as I have never heard of this occuring...

I personally would check out the timing, but before you do, figure out what if that is the right engine...
I wouldn't expect it to run very smooth if it is running backwards with bad timing, but I suppose anything is possible.

I hope this information helps, but if someone has a better idea, lets hear it...
~Pat

Hey, don't write yourself off yet
It's only in your head you feel left out or
looked down on.
Just try your best, try everything you can.
And don't you worry what they tell themselves when you're away.

It just takes some time, little girl you're in the middle of the ride.
Everything will be just fine, everything will be alright.

Hey, you know they're all the same.
You know you're doing better on your own, so don't buy in.
Live right now.
Yeah, just be yourself.
It doesn't matter if it's good enough for someone else.

~The Middle, Jimmy Eat World
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Hey PAT, ya its the right motor and everything, when I pull start it practically takes the handle out of your hands and starts backwards. The primary rotates counter clockwise when you pull start it wich is normal, but when it fires it goes the opposite way and runs like that.
I'm thinking its got to be the timing, will open it up and check the stator plate for position, might be totally opposite of where it should be.......thanks for the feedback :slick:

Quote:
So basically you are saying that the primary sheave, the one on the motor, is rotating clockwise?

First off...there isn't something stupid wrong is there? For some stupid reason is the engine supposed to run that way? I can't imagine that it would, but I dunno, this is kinda weird...

Now, how is the motor started? Do you pull start it, or electric?

Either way, I suppose its possible that the motor timing is so far off that the spark is occuring BEFORE the piston reaches Top Dead Center, causing combustion forcing the piston the OPPOSITE way, and basically running the motor backwards, much like the reverse system used by manufacturers today...

When you pull/electric start, does the engine turn over (when pulling) and then the pull cord jerk when the engine fires? I am just pulling at straws here, as I have never heard of this occuring...

I personally would check out the timing, but before you do, figure out what if that is the right engine...
I wouldn't expect it to run very smooth if it is running backwards with bad timing, but I suppose anything is possible.

I hope this information helps, but if someone has a better idea, lets hear it...
~Pat
[/b]
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 09:33 AM

well your some what right. it is your timing causeing this. when you retard your timing detonation occurs after the piston reaches tdc. check your shear key and make sure everything is in order. replacem it. if nothing happens advance your timing a few degrees.

by the way, this usually happens when your motor is rebuilt. happens all the time on blasters. nothing major to worry about
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 09:34 AM

My guess is you put the starter cup on backwards/upsidedown. It'll run in whatever direction you start it, and if you were pulling it counterclockwise, there is no way it could run clockwise.

2007 Dragon 700, stretched to 136"
1998 XC 700 with a 121" recycled Ripsaw.

Want to snowmobile in paradise?? Check out Western Newfoundland!!!!

Are you a Fredhead too?
Check out Fred Eaglesmith's web page

Stay Alert, Stay Safe, But Have Fun.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 09:35 AM

also by the way check to see if your stator holes to bolt it up are longated. this may also be causeing your timing to retard
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 12:31 PM

I'd guess the flywheel key has sheered.

Located in Western Quebec

Kilos traveled this season 2750
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Well the flyweel key is ok, and I turned the stator all the way opposite and it still starts backwards but runs terrible......could it be the cdi box ? I think the motor is from a 1980 340 and the snowmobile I put it in is a 1983 340 and I'm using that cdi from the 1983.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 11:15 AM

ive got a cdi for an enticer. pm me if interested.

heres all about your sled running in reverse. its about a quad but it still should tell you about why its running in reverse.

what happens is, instead of the plug firing and allowing the piston to get a few degrees before tdc, it fires either too late or too early, thus having the intake charge fire at the way wrong time and when it fires over, it actually stops forward rotation of the crankshaft and everything starts going in reverse...this is an instantaneous thing as soon as the kicker gear releases from the primary kicker gear...an internal cumbustion engine doesnt care which way it rotates, it will run in either direction. trust me, it CAN happen. someone on thus forum had it happen, they rebuilt and it ran in reverse. if it wasnt possible, why would i have spent the time making this thread. i'm not here to blow smoke up your ##### guys. and, being a mechanic my whole life, when you actually think about timing and everything, it is very very possible, extremely rare, but possible.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 01:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to puree
Youve got the motor in backwards

Sorry, had to do it.

I would definetly check the cogs inside your recoil and make sure they are in correctly,,, make sure your windings are also correct,,, this would cause the motor to spin backwards by simply pulling it,,,,

I would think that if you started to pull it and it was going the right direction, but the timing caused it to basically stop and start running the opposite direction, it would absolutely tear the cord out of your hand.
I would also think that if your cogs are in correctly, then it did start spinning backwards it would rip the cogs right out of your recoil. I would bet a simple recoil reconditioning would take care of your problem.

09 1200 Renegade
10 1200X Renegade
03 F7
07 F6lxr
03 Z370es
78 Invader 440

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page