Changing Ownership On A Sled In Ontario - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: ajax, ontario,canada
Posts: 156
I bought my brother's old sled off of him for my wife to ride. Is there any way to change the ownership without having to pay any tax? Can we say that he gave it to us? We live in Ontario.


2000 MXZ700-mine
2006 MXZ500SS-wifes
1999 MiniZ 6.5hp-sons
bluebyyou is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
rob7374's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Selkirk, Manitoba
Posts: 3,817
Here in Manitoba direct or immediate family members can gift vehivcles to each other with out having to pay the tax. I can't say about Ontario though.

Friends help you move.....Real friends help you move bodies...
rob7374 is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
NorthernRMK's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Timmins, Ontario
Posts: 163
Same thing here. Call the Chamber and find out exactly what you need.
NorthernRMK is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
mccracken's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hudson, Quebec
Posts: 443
You can also get a bill of sale from the family member for 1$. I did that with a car and snowmobile. They said nothing to me because it was my family.

mccracken is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 06:53 PM
Senior Member
paul yarek's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: L7 C2 oakland twp 44 King St N RR 4 Scotland N0E 1R0, southwest of brantford, southern ontario
Posts: 11,658
why not just call and ask the license office to find out. i go there everyday and i don't know

paul yarek is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 08:19 PM
Senior Member
Formulaman's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Alma, Ont.
Posts: 1,026
Send a message via MSN to Formulaman
I Know people that have done it, the "seller" has to sign a paper stating as such just go to your local licence office and ask :hallo3:

2008 RAM TOUGH MDS POWER EVERYTHING trailer puller toy
2000 Formula Z 700
'05 yammie Grizzly 660
'84 FLT
'91 Chev Silverado, short box, step side (for sale)
gotta make room for the new TOW RIG!!! YEAH IT'S GOT A HEMI LOL
and an old homemade enclosed two place
Formulaman is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
Russ Wheeler's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 938
I know for cars at least you have to sign a declaration that it was a gift to bypass taxes, which they can usually do at the vehicles and licensing place...and usually for sleds they just go by how much you tell them you paid for either one of those routes will save you some coin..
Russ Wheeler is offline  
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome