Helmet For A 2 Year Old? - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
How/where do I find a helmet for my 2 year old? So far we can only ride her around the yard (which she loves) but for some short trail rides what can I do?

2004 REV X 600HO, SDI, XPS colors, r.e.r., electric start, knee pads, heated visor plug in.

2003 Blair Morgan REV r.e.r., 440 windshield/handlebar kit, black front bumper, HPS canister, studs, heated visor plug in, knee pads
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 04:01 PM
From my experience, proper snowmobile helmets (even the smallest sizes) are way too heavy for a toddler's underdeveloped neck muscles. They can barely hold thier heads up with one on. When my son was two and three years old, I used a good hockey helmet with a built on visor (I-Tech brand). Worked good and much lighter. Though I don't think it would be DOT approved for snowmobile use, it seem safer to me and much less expensive than a helmet that a kid would out grow in a year or two.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 06:13 PM
I used a ski helmet/goggle combination for my son last year. They are light enough for a two year old.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 08:10 PM
Here is what my 3 year old has. It is a ski helmet. I am making a face shield for her from a construction shield.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E_mail_Mimi_Ready_to_Go3.jpg (48.3 KB, 123 views)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 09:05 PM
ski helmet with goggles for my 2 boys

2002 xcsp 700
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 10:29 PM
Have to agree with Rollo. You will have more success waiting a year, then trying to find a helmet that fits. A 2 y.o. can control their own head, but add any extra weight......The muscles are just not that developed. At that young an age, the "unexpected" can have more severe consequences. I would urge you to wait that one year before taking your child out on the trail.
And yes rollo, a helmet is "useable" only for the sport that it is advertised/certified for.
Mike Pilato
Medical Care Provider
Big East Snocross Tour

I handle the broken bodies,
My team mates handle the broken sleds
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 11:39 PM
I bought (used) off a friend a bombardier full faced helmet for my kid , she was 2 and it was no problem for her to hold up . I did look at some and they were too heavy . Make sure you check the weight and get a light one . Royal distributing has some open face ones for kids too

04 Chevy Avalanche
98 Yamaha srx 700
03 Yamaha RX-1
03 LTZ 400 (atv)
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page