Snowmobile World banner

94 Vmax 600

11K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  JedFalls 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm quite new to the sled world. In fact too, I speak french, so excuse me for mistreating your language. I'm from Quebec. Here is the thing. I want to buy a used sled, looking for something around I was looking for something aroud 1500 bucks CAN. I just saw that yamaha vmax 600 1994 for 900$ CAN. Sounds interesting, but I dont know anything in the snowmobile world.

What do you guys think about that deal? owner said me there is a new track on it. Can you give me some information about that sled?
What should I check for when going see it? In general, is that a good sled for going around, with a quite good performance for a newbi? How is the durability of this sled? What should be an acceptable milleage?

Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
I ran one before I switched to doo. Crank bearing went during second year and destroyed the bottom end, was still covered under warranty. Broke the driveshaft in third year. Sled was pretty good overall, the ride and handling are ok at best. It's no screaming hell out of the hole, I could never get it to hook up properly. I sold mine in 2000 for $3500. I think it would be a good starter sled.

#3 ·
A friend had 1 & according to another co-worker who had a 94 600 as well, you'll be lucky if you get 90 miles or 150 klicks per tank. Secondary bushing should be looked @ as well. My friend's were worn out after 1 season.

#4 ·
See if you can find a 1997 or newer. They have the trailing arm front suspension,much better than the pogo sticks on the 94. Sold a 97 last year with 8000miles for $800.00us. The sled never missed a beat. I never even pulled the clutches off the sled to clean or repair. Rocksolid and bulletproof. IMO

#5 ·
For $900 bucks as a first machine, I really don't think you could go wrong. That particular sled wasn't really known for leading-edge performance, but back in 1994, none of them really were.... I've personally never heard of reliability problems with them, generally speaking (and I'm not being biased here), Yamaha's tend to give you years of trouble-free riding. Of course, there's a bad apple in every bunch.....

#6 ·
I had a 94 vmax 600 and it was a nice little sled. I had no problems getting mine to hook up,,, I did add vforce reeds and had it clutched and studded, but that was all. It was a very reliable sled as far as I am concerned,,,,
they dont cross water real well in the summer time though!!!! lol

#7 ·
My brother had 2 of them. One 1995 and a 1996. Mileage was horrible. Lucky to get 70 miles out of a tank of gas. Not the fastest thing either, but it didn't require much in the way of maintenance to keep it running. I think the only thing he ever had to do to it was put in gas and oil, a lot of gas and oil.

Suspension was pretty much non-existant. Maybe 4 or 6", luckily it had a nice squishy seat that absorbed most of the bumps.

Not the best sled by today's standards, but my brother could ride with the best of them on that V-Max.

#9 ·
I sure hope that I'm goingto get better than 70 miles per tank on mine. I just picked up a '95 and a '96 and I know the 2-up will eat more, but I expect to get 100 miles per tank.

#10 ·
Originally posted by Bluehaze@Jul 8 2005, 05:59 PM
I sure hope that I'm goingto get better than 70 miles per tank on mine.  I just picked up a '95 and a '96 and I know the 2-up will eat more, but I expect to get 100 miles per tank.
[snapback]424175[/snapback]​

I owned a 94 vmax 600 for 4 years. I picked it up for a spare and sold it last year. It ran fine, but it smoked alot. I found out that was a problem with those yamaha's over those years. Not a big problem to replace the pump, but it got good mileage (100 miles to the tank) and I could plow powder until you had to stand up to see over the wind shield. It always started up hard if it was left to sit for more than a week...not sure why. But once it got started it ran fine and started easily. I like the very stable ride with the outward possitioned pogs and I think that it beat the heck out of the stupid trailing arms that they went back to. Obviously they were ahead of their times with the poggo shocks, as the trailing arm is all but extinct by all manufacturers today.

It was a good bullet proof sled that I would buy again escpecially if it only costs $900 froggy dollars. I would change out the coolant tho and check the hoses for cracking. Like any old sled you need to go all thru it before heading for the hills.

My 2 cents worth!!

#11 ·
I am 13 and I am getting into the sport also. I ahve a '94 V-Max and it runs great. Only thing I have to complain about is the stiff suspension (Take into account I am only 110 pounds), and the hand grip warmers are eather a little too toasty or too cold. Great sled overall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.