Snowmobile World banner

Ski-doo or Yamaha? Who makes a better, more reliable sled?

37K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  ruff-rider 
#1 · (Edited)
I am looking into buying another sled. I'm look at sleds from 1997 - 2004 and have narrowed it down to either a Ski-doo or Yamaha. I would like the sled to be at least 700-800cc or more. From what I have found I like the Ski-doo MXZ's Rev, Adrenaline, etc. and the 98 on Mach Z and the Yamaha SRX's, SX's, V-Max's and the RX-1's although I know they are a completely different sled than the other sleds. I don't know the differences between all these sleds so some insight on that would help as well. I ride mostly on trails and in fields and go to the mountains maybe once a year. I was wondering who makes a more reliable sled and what other people recommend to be the best sled out of those listed, or at least the strengths and weaknesses of each make/sled.

#2 ·
This post could go on forever,,, I myself go for arctic cat, have friends that ride polaris, doo, and polaris and we all think ours is the best. You are going to get nothing but biased answers here. Go out and test ride what you can to see what you like best. This is the only way to truly get your questions answered.

#3 ·
I can't really help much here because I don't know much about most of those sleds except for a few of the skidoos. I think, but I could be and most likely am wrong :tounge:, the adrenaline might be for deep powder which sounds like it wouldn't be good for you. As a basic guideline to snowmobiles, long tracks and tracks with deep lugs are usually for deep powder/mountain riding. short tracks and short lugs are usually used for trails because the shorter lugs dig into the packed snow. The only sled I know much about that you listed is the mach z. Mach's are pretty big sleds (I think they are tripples) that go fast. In general I think they are made for speed, meaning they might have less suspension and I'm guessing they wouldn't be good for powder riding.
Sorry for not knowing much about these sleds :tounge:

#4 · (Edited)
Yamaha has made the commitment in 4 stroke technology.

On March 17th I rolled 40,000 miles on my 2005 RS Venture on the original factory engine.

At 22,000 miles a valve train check was performed. Only 3 exhaust valves were tight. They were shimmed. At the same time a cam chain adjuster was replaced. Thats the only thing that has been done to the motor. Yamaha motors reliabilty is second to none.

For more info here are some links:

http://cs.amsnow.com/snocs/blogs/sno/2009/03/20/bob-davis-hits-40-000-miles-on-yamaha-in-maine.aspx

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=71441

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=48682

I agree, It's worth test riding several different brands of sleds in order to make a more informed decision.

Hope this helps!

#10 ·
That's a lot of miles wow. You haven't had to do any major rebuild or major motor work? No, its the original factory engine. As I said before 3 exhaust valves were shimmed in a customary valve train check. That's all the has been done to the motor.

I'm looking at a 2002 Rx-1 for $3000 Canadian. Do you know if that a good deal and if they would be as reliable as your sled? Sorry I Don't have a clue.
Hope this helps!

#7 ·
I myself am biased to Yamaha. I rode Arctic Cat for 20 years before I switched and have nothing but good things to say about them. I think that all the manufactures make a good machine, but if you take a close look I think that you will see that Yamaha actually builds the most reliable machines. They may not always be the fastest, but they always run.

#13 ·
The early RX1 mountain sleds were heavy and steering was difficult at slow speeds. If you have the power on the steering seems not too bad but for boondocking and sidehilling they will play you out in a hurry.

#14 ·
98 machz had realiability issues with the electrical system and motors like to melt pistons if not updated as far as carb boots and reeds etc. nice thing is if you do melt down a piston on a tripple you still got 2 more working good. over all i enjoyed my 98 mach. heavy tho i burried it a few times in snow banks haha

i'd go with an 02 or new mxz 800 twin if you go with a skidoo or Yami 4 strokes are great machines and the new skidoo 1200 4strokes
or polaris 600 edge is a fast 600 and a great all around reliable sled!!!

thats about all the personal unbias opinion i can give!

#17 ·
Out of the sleds you listed...the most reliable would definitely be an 04 RX1. However, if you want great handling and suspension...nothing compares to the 04 Rev...there were quite a few problems with the 800HO engine in it though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.