Carb Cleaner Fuel Additive In Tank? - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Is there anything wrong with putting a carb cleaner additive in your sleds gas? Can it hurt the motor? I know it is not a replacement for cleaning the carbs, but it could keep them cleaner. Most manufactures state on the bottle that they can be used in all 2 and 4 stroke engines.

2000 MXZ700-mine
2006 MXZ500SS-wifes
1999 MiniZ 6.5hp-sons
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 08:19 AM
Send a message via AIM to Shane
I am not sure. I would just remove the carbs and clean them yourself. By adding to many additives to the fuel tends to reduce viscosity and the high compression engines in sleds need the higher octane rating to avoid knocking. However, a little isopropyl is okay just not too much. Cleaning the carbs is not really all that big of a deal so take the time and do it right so you will have many miles of fun!

Life's journey is not about arriving at the grave in a well preserved body, rather it is to slide in sideways, totally out of control, completely worn out, screaming, HOLY POOP WHAT A RIDE!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 09:04 AM

With a number of expensive parts in late model carbs being made from plastic I'm not sure thats a good idea. Cleaning them before each season by taking them appart is your best bet.

Sled insurance in Ontario is killing me!!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 09:49 AM
Send a message via MSN to dawg Send a message via Yahoo to dawg
just takes a few minutes to clean them by hand and then u know tht they are clean, no worries about wether the clenaer works or not.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 10:03 AM
Been running it in street bikes for quite awhile with no issues other than the fact that they seem to run poorly
while the stuff is in the tank. If I were lacking the skill/time
to pull the carbs/injectors/fuel pump down, I don't think I would have many reservations about running it in a sled -as long as I didn't have any long, wide open runs planned while it's in use (until the next fill up). It has cleared up some problems in the bikes, but I'd like to note that some of the jets used on the bikes are much, much smaller than what you are likely to see on a sled.

Just my 2c

'07 Apex RTX w/Pro X suspension conversion, Fox Floats w/resi's, Doo extro drivers, Cobra track, Dual Ryde FX rear clickers, .375 Edge torsion springs, HyGear Dual rate front skid springs, SLP anti-stab kit, Powermadd handguards/mirrors, 2" Rox riser, shimmed Poo skis w/custom (homemade) ski savers, Black chrome W/S, Graphics by Arctic FX, and a grin every time I think about it! New Project: 600HO Fusion bump sled, Air 2.0 w/hi/low valves, HRM spindles, Retro graphics, .359 torsion springs.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 12:38 PM
The situation for me is that I don't know how to clean my carbs. I am only 15 and have never been taught. Does anyone know if there are any websites that show how to do it. I also have efi.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 12:40 PM
If you have EFI, then you dont have carbs. So dont worry about it.

2001 MXZ 600 - piped and clutched.. VF3 reeds
Ride Faster!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Troy2992@Dec 12 2002, 12:40 PM
If you have EFI, then you dont have carbs. So dont worry about it.
Solved that problem pretty easily, didn't he.

In order to catch a fritch, you have to dress like a #$%^&
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 10:35 AM
now i feel stupid.
Is there anything else in the engine that I need to clean?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 10:17 PM
Location: L7 C2 oakland twp 44 King St N RR 4 Scotland N0E 1R0, southwest of brantford, southern ontario
i use kleen-flo isoproyl and it claims to have carburator / injector cleaner in it but i think with the isopropyl that is what some of the wife's nail polish remover is.

Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page