Snowmobile World banner

1980 Citation Snowmobile 377 - One clynder No Spark

9K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  slugger 
#1 ·
1980 Citation Snowmobile 377 - One clynder No Spark

Found this add and wondering what could be the issue.
Read points were problematic but would that effect only 1 cylinder?

Wondering if this would be a good sled to get for my son.
(guy looking for $500)

FoundAd said:
Im selling my 1980 Citation sled. Was running perfectly fine until one cylinder lost spark, and wasnt running fine. This is my first sled. I just bought it less than a week ago, and I dont want to spend the time to fix whatever the problem may be. I am not mechanically inclined, its probably just faulty wires. Something as simple as that i was told. This is a perfect sled for someone who has the know how. Its in exceptional shape, No rot whatsoever. Belly pans are in great shape. The hood is like new, the seat has no rips. I even have the ownership and sticker aswell. As I had just recently registered it. There is tons of compression, 110 psi. its getting spark, carb had been rebuilt, racing clutch, 2 new coils.. Like I said it must be something minor. I have no time.

#3 ·
Actually yes, this sled has points. The 377 is a Citation 4500 with a 377 engine. It has a magneto that has a generator coil, two condensers and two sets of points. Each set of points feeds an external ignintion coil that is mounted to the side of the engine. The spark plug wires go from the external coils to the plugs (obviously :tounge:).

So if you only have spark on one cylinder, I would bet that the external ignition coil for that cylinder is bad. ( I just replaced both of them on my 1980 Ski-Doo Everest) Could be the Plug wire or spark plug boot, but I doubt it. You can get a new coil for about $20.

Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.