Motorola Radios T5420's [Archive] - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

: Motorola Radios T5420's

98 EXT
03-05-2003, 03:22 PM
Hey guys I know this probably been discussed, but I probably missed it.

I'm looking at purchasing a pair of the T5420 radios, and the ear bud microphones.

Radios have VOX (voice activation) and my wife and I use full faced helmets.
Cabela's is advertising 2-pack for $54.99 for the radios and then a $15 mail in rebate.
The earbuds/mics are 20 a piece. So I'm looking at an investment of $80.

Has anyone used this setup. I'm tired of not being able to talk about things along the trails or pointing out hazards or making trail direction changes on the fly. Plus the VOX would be great, hands free.

So what do you think???

SWRules

zrgreen
03-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Sounds like a reasonable deal. I use one of the Talkabout radios when out hunting in the field with my brothers(works great), but have never tried it while snowmobiling. I do know of a guy who said he has used them sledding with friends and reports good results.

dooitslow
03-05-2003, 11:19 PM
Do NOT use the vox. It will not work once your engine is much above idle speed. Engine noise opens the mike and makes them useless. Found this out the hard way, after buying a similar setup. I'm still waiting to hear how the Moto Comm earpieces work. Does anyone know??????

A.K.A. THUMPER
03-08-2003, 08:27 AM
The 20 dollar ear buds are not VOX you have to tush to talk no good for the sled and like dooitslow says very noisy when your driving I've been there done that one......

highlandergerman
03-08-2003, 01:12 PM
We use the 6610 or 20s i do not remeber off the top of my head. we use a ear bud that we got form radio shack that goes in your ear, and an microphone goes to your mouth, we do not use the vox, like everone said to much back ground noise, we use the switch that you have to push, we had four of these rigged up last year when we where in the mountains and they worked very well.