Spark Plugs [Archive] - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

: Spark Plugs

Rocketman
10-30-2001, 09:35 PM
Everyone seems to have thier own opinion, so lets here what the masses have to say! http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tounge.gif http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
(plus I wanted to see how this works.... http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tounge.gif )

paul yarek
10-31-2001, 10:08 PM
i scratch my head on that poll and i know it is true. ngk has been the biggest in the sled business forever. i see ngk in my honda lawn tractor and snowmobile but nothing else where else are they big ?

Rocketman
10-31-2001, 10:45 PM
Hard to say...not many people have voted.

skidoomaster
11-01-2001, 10:26 AM
I use NGK because i can get them the cheepest. 10 bucks a box, you can&#39;t beat that! *even if i do fowl one or two out a season.

Machzzzz1
11-01-2001, 11:04 AM
I am really suprised with the support of NGK. *My experience with Ngk is you buy a box of 10 and 3 work. *This is not just one experience. *Its like a plug with no perks. *They dont offer anything except a spark. *

I used to do work for Robert Bosch. *I worked in Quality control. *Bosch makes really good plugs. *They are almost identical to each other. *Ngk on the otherhand had diffrenct sized plugs 6 BR9ES would not be the same. *They have slightly diffrent sized electrode and the internal workings did not look like a quality plug. *

Right now I think splitfire tripple Plat are the best. *They use a Platinum electrode but also use Platinum pads on the ends of the plug. *Platium gets hotter then copper and burns up carbon getting ride of fouling. *But the biggest advantage is that the spark travles through platinum much better and easier then copper. *This alone will save the Stator, Coil, Ignition on any motor. *It is even said that you can increase the gap ever so slightly on a plat plug to get more power because with the less resistance the spark has more power to jump the gap giving you More spark area and a better more efficent burn. *

Please dont go opening the gap if your not sure how much.

The bottom line is that *a platinum plug what ever the make will create less strain on the ignition of your engine making ignition components last longer. *They also burn of carbon making a cleaner combustion which pervents detonation because it is the ultra hot carbon sticking to the copper plugs that cause the fuel to pre ignite. *The splitfire tripple platinum have a warrenty and from what I saw last year are made with excellent quality. *They work as intended and Anyone with a Rotax 500, 583,or 670 Rotary valve engine should buy a pair and try them. *You wont belive the results. Your engine will start easier then any series 3 engine right now except the tripple. *I swear to you. *It will turn your hard to start rotary valve engine into somting your kids could start. *plus way more throttle responce, *No stalling, More top speed. And absoultly no fouling you will never need to pull the plugs all season to clear a flooded engine. *

mr670
11-01-2001, 02:44 PM
Wow, you mean all I have to do is screw in a pair of spark plugs and my Hard to start 670 and it will start, have better throttle response and be faster, all I can say is WOW.

82-1004217970
11-01-2001, 04:40 PM
What about the plugs the 02&#39; mxz 800 will be using?Haven&#39;t picked it up yet but I understand there different than the BR9ES.

Rick

Machzzzz1
11-01-2001, 11:17 PM
The advantage of the splitfire tripple platinum will work on any machine. *It will save you ignition and make it easier on all electronic components. *But the real benifits Easier starting, Throttle responce, Top speed is only really noticeable in the Rotary valve engine. *

I stumbled on to them my self last year. *I own a mach z that runs perfect buy was always disapointed with my 98 Mxz 500. *Once it was running its an awsome machine but to get it running. *I was afraid when i went night riding with it to shut it of in fear it wouldnt start. *I must have spent some frustrating moments trying to swap the plugs with the spares and unflood the machine. *Then last year i was looking through a catalog and I saw the tripple platinum. *It had a cool picture and looked good so i bought them at this big snowmobile show. *I put them in mid season. *I was in SHOCK. *I primed it 4 times and pulled the cord. *Before the cord got half way it was running and it came on with a roar not a stumbling idle. *I shut it of and did it again with no primer this time same thing. *Its so good that it almost starts every time one of the pistons gets to top dead center. *

Only once did i manage to flood it with the kill switch on of i tryed to start it and it wouldnt go I realised it was the switch and turned it on. *I put the throttle to full because thats what your suppost to do and in one pull it fired up. *The machine is such a user friendly machine to drive now that i even told my dealer about it. *He told me that Bombardier was recommending platinum plugs for that style of engine but didnt want to tell anyone. *I dont know why but thats the way it is. *

Conversion if anyone wants to try them.

BR9ES - 01-TP406B

Look at them at
http://www.royaldistributing.com/servlet/M...ct?page=69.html (http://www.royaldistributing.com/servlet/MiddleRedirect?page=69.html)

82-1004217970
11-02-2001, 08:26 AM
Those platinum plugs sound like the plug to have but what about them in the 800 twin.I see they take a BR9ECS plug,how will they match up? ???

Rick

Machzzzz1
11-02-2001, 09:57 AM
RickM

Im not sure but i dont think you should switch. *That new plug is supposidly a big help in resisting detonation. *Weight for splitfire to make a plug that matches the ngk design. *Plus the real advantages are mostly found on the rotary valve engines. *My newer 600series three grand touring had no diffrence except for the fact the plugs lasted all year. *

I would run the new NGKs. *It must add someing to this machine or else skidoo wouldnt have wandered from the standered BR9ES.

astro
11-02-2001, 10:09 AM
when i rode polaris&#39;s, *i could only run champions, they seem to run a little hotter. i would foul out ngks about every 3rd ride. *i&#39;ve had real good luck with ngks in other brands. i went two seasons on a set of ngks on my 670.

mtrsprt
11-04-2001, 09:06 AM
;) Remember. A spark plug does one thing guys, it gives a distance for a spark to jump. Although it also has to keep that spark from getting too hot or cold. *Assuming you are using the correct plug for your application ie: correct jetting, good compression, etc. *Any companies plug will do the job. I&#39;ve tried all plugs in my engines (2 cycle + 4) and to this day (after 10 years) I have not yet to be biased towards one plug. Although NGK seems to be the easiest to find for snowmobiles. * http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

mach1
11-05-2001, 06:52 PM
i wont run them unless i cant get champions they are junk they foul out to easy didnt change anything but switched to champions no more fouling plugs

Machzzzz1
11-07-2001, 09:53 AM
Champions are the cheapest set of plugs around there even built worse then NGK. *If they work for you Keep em but i have seen some real bad stuff come from them.

NDMtnSledder
11-29-2001, 02:15 PM
My dealer told me this and I was wondering if anyone else had heard about this. *I have heard that Splitfires void the warranty on Arctic Cat snowmobiles. *He said that they get to hot on the piston surface and can melt a hole in the piston. *Said it has to do with the split being open to the bottom. *Just wondering if this is true or anyone else has heard this.

Machzzzz1
11-29-2001, 02:16 PM
I can run a set of NGK for a year also. *I am just saying that there are discrepancies between them. *They give the manufactor of there plugs a lot of tolerence. *

So I am just saying they are lower quality. *And the 1 out of 10 thing is true. *I remember when I owned a Yamaha waverunner. *The plugs would foul and I needed to buy at lease 6 to get three that would allow the sled to work good. *

Sure you can run with NGK all you want and you probably wont know it but there is better stuff out there. *I used to build them for bosch and I know what makes a plug good. *

You can deny the facts as much as you want but theres a reason why a NGK plug cost about %25 what a splitfire or bosch cost and its not because NGK is a giving company.

mr670
11-29-2001, 03:20 PM
I have a friend who builds 2 stroke engines for a living, A few years back he was given a case of splitfires to test, they lost H.P on dyno test(fact), nothing works as good as a NGK for a couple of bucks each. As for the hard to start 500,580 and 670&#039;s, they are not a problem if you know what you are dooing!

grants442
11-29-2001, 06:03 PM
Splitfire is a hoax.You cant split a spark...it will always jump on the shortest path to ground.If anything it would jump back and forth,which just decreases youre contact point.I have heard rumors of them burning hotter but never new anyone personally that this has happened to.I use ngk in every toy I have...never,ever had a problem.Prayin for snow! ;)

DanR
11-29-2001, 06:26 PM
First ride today ! yahooo...only about 2 inches but still i took it out for a 1/2 hour ride in the field, first five minutes i burnt 1 ngk, i figured it was beacuse of all the gas and oil build up so i put a new one in, POUF after another few minutes i was back on 1 cyl again *:angry: *put my splitfires in and rode for 20 min and both still run # 1. *

Now is it cause i burnt all the build up before putting the splitfires or splitfires just dont foul as easy as ngk ???
Im gonna buy a new set of ngk tommorow and if there is still enough snow il try them to see if they foul again !

NeedForSpeed
11-29-2001, 07:37 PM
The experience I have had with NGK&#039;s in my car has been very good. *The only time I have heard of a plug fouling right out of the box was because of a loose end cap. *NGK uses a two piece design(a screw on cap). *Most NGK plugs have loose caps right out of the box, and these need to be fixed in order for the plugs to function properly. *The easy fix is to unscrew the cap, use a little lock-tite, screw the cap back on and tighten it with a pair of pliers crimping the cap a little. *This will eliminate the chances of the cap lossening from vibration.

dynofox
11-29-2001, 09:44 PM
I have used them all. I have had good and bad in both champs and NGK&#039;s. Overall had very God luck in the newer Polaris&#039;s w/NGK&#039;s. *:)

Rocketman
11-29-2001, 10:04 PM
I like the compression.for hard starting...makes sure no one can start it but me! http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

xsivhp
11-29-2001, 10:11 PM
The last 2 years - 2026 miles on my sled - 4 plugs. *All NGK.

Loctite corrodes threads to heep them from working loose, corrosion will increase the resistance of your ignition system causing poor performance - I&#039;m not sure I&#039;d use Loctite in that application.

NGK - Good plug, good price.

Machzzzz1
11-30-2001, 08:35 AM
The regular splitfires are a hoaxs. *Its the triple platinum that is awsome. *They dont foul. *They burn right through the oil. *Them Save you ignition system becasue the spark can travle through platinum easier then copper. *If NGK made a platinum and your all big ngk fans thats what i would use. *But i dont think ngk makes good conversion charts the splitfires are made for the sled.

JETRep
11-30-2001, 10:29 PM
The manual for my recently acquired &#039;96 FIII calls for BR10ES but the previous owner had 9&#039;s in it. *Should I get the 10&#039;s or will it be okay with the hotter 9&#039;s?

NHIcegator
11-30-2001, 11:14 PM
I have always had good luck with ngk, have had same set in my old cheetah for over a year. although we always said the only differance between b8es and br8es plugs is that when they foul and you throw them as far away as you can the resistor plugs seem to go a little farther.

paul
12-01-2001, 01:55 AM
I my self wouldn&#039;t use a platinum plug in a snowmobile. The only advantage I see in a platinum plug is that the center electrode won&#039;t burn off. That is why you see these ads for cars that don&#039;t need tune-ups for 100,000 miles. There isn&#039;t a rotor, cap or wires. Most of the new cars today have coil on plug. And they are all platinum plugs. I don&#039;t believe it is less strain on the ignition system ethier. I own an auto repair shop. I install a lot of plugs. I use strictly ngk in asian applications, motorcraft in fords, and ac delco in chevys. I had problems with putting Bosch platinum plugs in ford v-8 trucks (5.0, 5.8 liter) they where burining the center electrode out, I even talked to the Bosch rep. and he admitted that they had a problem "but they resolved it" whatever,

One more thing, I had a 91 5.0 Mustang that was using oil in one cylinder. I have learned that putting platinum plugs in a car that uses oil, you will find out which cylinder is using the oil!!! The platinum tip is so small that the oil covers up the tip, in no time then the plug wont fire. I have seen it time and time again. Look for the tip on a platinum plug, on some you need a magnifying glass to see it. And The B.S about multi-tip ground electrodes (split-fire) A plug won&#039;t fire to all 3 or 2 ground electrodes like on split-fires etc, that is just marketing. Electricity is lazy and is looking for the easiest path to ground, not 2 grounds, one. *

Bottom line, I just go with Manufactures recommendations Manufactures invest thousands if not millions of dollars trying to put out the best/reliable machine they can, I have found if you stick with what the recommend, You really cant go wrong.

grants442
12-02-2001, 02:53 AM
Well put! http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

summit 670
12-02-2001, 11:17 AM
1995 Summit 670, NGK BR9ES and BR9EV tried em both, never had a problem with either one, gapped to .020 and engine has 5500 miles and still running STRONG.

Rocketman
12-02-2001, 11:59 AM
How much difference can there be? I think the splitfire platinum (just bought a pair and don&#039;t like what I&#039;m hearing *:(
don&#039;t foul as much, because if on electrode fouls, the spark can switch to the other side, and at the same time burn the fouling substance off the previous electrode.....like a cycle. * * * * * * * *
* * * * * Sort of like having 2 sparkplugs in the same chamber at the same time that can automatically switch when one gets fouled. They convert to BR 9ES, so they don&#039;t burn hotter or colder, therefore, i don&#039;t anticipate any engine damage from using the Splitfire Platinum. BTW, never had a real problem with NGK, just wanted to try something different.
* * * * * * *Won&#039;t buy them again...they cost too much! :angry:

* * *What do you think of my logic? ???

xsivhp
12-02-2001, 11:00 PM
Sounds like they should last twice as long as NGKs for twice the price?!!??

I do hope they work for you if they don&#039;t - be sure to put up a new post!

paul
12-03-2001, 12:42 AM
it&#039;s not the ground electrode that fouls, its the platinum tip. If you look at an ngk bpre9es what-ever number, the white cone is the insulator and the black center core is the copper tip that fires the juice to the ground electrode. A new one is round and flat on the top, a worn plug will look round with a much bigger gap, seen them almost worn to the insulator. Look at a platinum tip plug, all your looking at is the insulator, the center core tip is the size of a PIN HEAD. You almost need a magnifying glass to see it. THAT IS WHAT GETS COVERED IN OIL AND WON&#039;T FIRE. the platinum tip won&#039;t wear out for supposedly 100,000 miles in passenger cars. The copper core tips are good for about 30,000 miles in cars.

Machzzzz1
12-03-2001, 04:35 PM
The Electrode is the part coming out of the insulator. *A platinum electrode is thiner and can burn hotter. *It doesnt matter if you get oil on it a splitfire platinum can not foul. *It saves the electrical system on your sled and gives you a trouble free couple years of riding on one set of plugs. *Splitfire even has a 100000km warrenty on a set of plugs. *Thats like you only buy one set of plugs forever.

I have seen the diffrence and no one can tell me there is no diffrence. *NGK&#039;s are junk compaired to the triple platnums So is every other copper plug. *NGK platinums are probably very good also. *

On thing you also have to remeber is even though the spark is hotter on the platinum that has nothing to do with the heat range. *The heat range is how the plug absorbs heat away from the tip of the plug and out into the top side of the plug where it is cooled buy the air. * Go and read about it on the NGK web sight. *

If anyone bought splitfires this season you will see the diffrence.

Rocketman. *I think you have a 670. You will really see the diffrence. *NO flooding. *Less use of primer. *Better idle.

zr5carb
12-06-2001, 07:58 PM
this poll is proof positive that ngk kicks a$$ if your sled is in tune you shouldn&#39;t be fouling plugs and you guys that do need to do more tuning or people like me will buy stock in the parts store where you buy your plugs.just my 2 cents.
buy ngk and dont worry!!

jls
12-08-2001, 11:13 PM
The only problem I have seen with NGK plugs is on a 99 MXZ 600. The guy used the BR9ES plugs with the screw on tip and it burnt up his MPEM. You are only suppose to use the BR9ES or whatever other plug for these new sleds with the solid tip not the screw on tip.

fastcat02
02-10-2002, 09:17 AM
http://www.snowmobileworld-s2.com/forums/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif All I,ve ever used is NGK. Only fouled one plug before. They seem pretty good to me and they are cheap. Can&#39;t ask for anything better http://www.snowmobileworld-s2.com/forums/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

revrnd
03-26-2002, 06:45 PM
To start I use the NGK plug that Ski-doo recommends. I have seen with the screw on tips, that when the tip loosens off slightly, the current will start jumping across the threads. Next thing you know, the threads are gone and the tip is stuck in the boot, the boot & cable are flaying around under the hood and you&#39;re behind the handlebars wondering why all of a sudden the sled is running on one cylinder.

I tried using BR10EVs in a &#39;85 Formula MX that Deckers had ported & cut the head for me. Those plugs were a waste of money!! If you looked at the sled the wrong way in the morning, it would foul a plug when you tried to start it for the first time. I developed quite a pitch out in the parents&#39; back yard flinging plugs into the woods. I switched over to the S plugs, no problem starting.

I&#39;ve even heard the parts guys at my dealer tell people to buy the S plug when they come in to buy the V plugs.

highlandergerman
07-09-2002, 02:49 AM
i us the ngks, * i had one sled that liked the champion a little better , this was a 90 650 wild cat, besides that i will stick with mn ngks, *ps with the fuel injection this year i only used the original set for 1000 miles on 2 sleds.

LicknOutaTheCatsDish
07-10-2002, 12:58 AM
I&#39;ve heard it stated more than once that "Champion makes a good plug, everyone else makes a great plug"

I&#39;m an NGK guy.

b349
06-19-2003, 05:00 AM
I always liked ngk they are easy to find. And never really had problems that weren&#39;t operator error.

dawg
06-19-2003, 07:31 AM
always have used NGK. like said, they r easy to find seem to work very well. seems like a good bang for the buck.

LadyK
06-19-2003, 07:57 AM
NGK all the way Champions are for lawnmowers IMHO :)

paul yarek
06-19-2003, 09:13 AM
ngk for sleds and anything from japan. does anyone remember the days when ski-doo came with bosch ?

FishHog
06-19-2003, 09:20 AM
Another vote for NGK&#39;s.

Champions are for lawnmowers........LOL Good one. :p

Machzzzz1
06-19-2003, 09:35 AM
Ive had really good luck with Bosch and Splitfire. NGKs just dont last for me. I would go thru a set every 2 weekends in the Mach. Dealer told me to run Bosch copper. Said the skidoo race team uses them becasue they reisist moisture better. After that I never changed the plugs again. 5000km on a set of bosch 2000km on 4 sets of NGK.

avrg.joe
06-19-2003, 10:08 AM
I have never used anything but NGK, never given me a reason to switch. If there is something better I&#39;d be open to trying it.

ZR Rider
06-19-2003, 10:33 AM
NGK BR9EY for me and my ZR

Thumbdoctor
06-19-2003, 11:03 AM
NGK all the way!. Make sure you select resistor type if you are operating communicators or have electronics (ECM). EMI (electro magnetic interference) can affect GPS readings, create static on frequency modulation & television reception. This is especially important in Cottage Country, to be less of an annoyance when trails pass close to residential areas. The other issue with spark plugs is to select the correct plug. Sometimes auto-parts stores sell plugs with the same number but are intended for passenger car usage. The dealer&#39;s plugs may seem more expensive, but those individually boxed plugs go through better quality control than the user commodity blister pack plugs available at big box stores. The next line of high performance are iridium cored plugs replacing Platinum. I&#39;m told the Platinum used in spark plug production came from recycled resources like catalystic converters. Now the switch to this other precious metal is cheaper. Another emerging issue is the fact that the compression washer on most plugs leaks after being reinstalled (oil sweating around plug on cylinder head). Tightening the plug more than torque spec just risks damaging the head. Some after-market companies(MOROSO) sell replacement compression washers and have special thickness washers to index the electrode to point towards the intake ports. Lastly, be sure the Precious metal plugs you select are double (Platinum / Iridium) on both ground and center electrodes. Most modern electronic ignition systems use one coil for two spark plugs which means one plug fires reversed polarity (from ground to center electrode) wearing out the center prematurely on conventional plugs. This also applies to our gas engine equipped tow vehicles using Waste Spark ignition systems. One clue to know if your getting a true ATV Motorcycle or snowmobile sparkplugs was to make sure it had a screw on terminal, but that doesn&#39;t always apply now. :blahblah:

dawg
06-19-2003, 11:12 AM
3600 miles on my BR9EY NGK spark plugs this year, no problems at all

abc
06-19-2003, 11:32 AM
BR9EYA for me too. But if I could find platinum bosh equivalent I would go for them.

3eyedcat
06-19-2003, 11:51 AM
NGK&#39;S, never a problem....

KING
06-19-2003, 11:53 AM
U used to have Splitfires in my machine. Big difference from the NGK&#39;s i find. I found that it runs smoother and starts alot easier. I have Bosches in them. But i voted Splitfire.

Thumbdoctor
06-19-2003, 12:04 PM
One interesting bit of trivia for you GM enthusiasts ACas in AC delco, AC GM. The AC is the initials for Albert Champion who sold his original spark plug patent to J. Durant who headed General Motors. Champion went on to create plugs again with his name on them. :D More useless info!!!

trailertrash
06-19-2003, 01:33 PM
Ran NGK&#39;s in sleds for years, very rarely fouled a plug. Also ran them in two different Mercury 2.5 drag outboards for 8 years and never fouled one.

Mighty RX-1
06-19-2003, 02:22 PM
At 500 miles I replaced the original NGK&#39;s in my 99 machZ and I lost at least one plug every 50-100 miles from then on. Talk about pissing you off, if it ain&#39;t broke don&#39;t fix it! I read about Denso Iridium (I see NGK has a variation now) plugs and decided to give them a try. They have the smallest electrode on the market which allows the tip to get really hot that makes them virtually impossible to foul. I ran those plugs for 2,000 miles without a hiccup. I sold the sled and got a call from the buyer a week later. He went on and on about how he could blow away all his buddies (he came off an mxz600) and the only time they could catch him was when he would stop to replace a fouled plug. Apparently when he got the sled home from picking it up from me, he installed new NGK&#39;s. Enough of that he said and dug the Denso&#39;s out of the garbage and I haven&#39;t heard from him since.

revrnd
06-19-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Thumbdoctor@Jun 19 2003, 12:04 PM
Albert Champion who sold his original spark plug patent to J. Durant who headed General Motors.
Correction, William Durant was the founder of GM. I don&#39;t know where you got the initial J. ???

Some more trivia, DELCO stands for Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company.

Sled Dogg
06-19-2003, 05:46 PM
Well here is my 2 cents. i have personally seen many Polaris owners have alot of trouble running NGK in the late 90&#39;s -01 . If they ran Champions they had no problem. Now these were tock well tuned machines. So when I bought my sled last fall I bought 6 champions to replace the NGK&#39;s that were in it. One set to replace and a back up set(triple :D ) Well all those 6 plugs did was bounce around the cargo area as i never fouled a plug. I went to buy a plug for my KTM bike and the dealer tried selling me a $6.50 BR8CG plug. My cousin luckily knows more than I about plugs and questioned him. Sure enough the BR8ES is the same damn plug except some silly thing and they wer way way cheaper. Can be bought in a Auto store for $1.25 each. Dealer showed us a cross reference book listing what all the letters mean etc.

katrider800
06-19-2003, 08:53 PM
Over all the years of riding, I&#39;d have to say that I never had a problem with NGK plugs. And if you foul one on the trail, they are easy to find and usually inexpensive.

Thumbdoctor
06-19-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by revrnd@Jun 19 2003, 04:00 PM
Correction, William Durant was the founder of GM. I don&#39;t know where you got the initial J. ???

Some more trivia, DELCO stands for Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company.
Right you are revrnd, I don&#39;t know where I got "J" from, I guess I was Thinking Jimmy instead of billy D. Having a "senior moment". Billy D actually brought Louis Chevrolet, Oakland Motors (Pontiac) R. Olds (REO) and Buick together to form GM. In Canada COL Sam Mclaughlin (Mclaughlin Carrage Co Oshawa) was contracted to build Buicks circa 1908 under licence. Here&#39;s a quiz for ya. How do you know the difference between Canadian built or American Buicks of the Twenties? ;)

straycat
06-19-2003, 10:13 PM
NGK, :thumbsup: ..that&#39;s all i use!!!!!

prox6
06-20-2003, 08:33 PM
Champion.....Best to run in Polaris`s
1/2 a heat range diff then NGK (No Good Kind)

Lasse
06-21-2003, 12:22 AM
:) Hello.

I have found that with ROTAX engines, the best Sparkplug
brand to use is ND = Nippon Denso

Bauer
06-21-2003, 12:30 AM
All i use is NGK. Thats all there is around here. My xlt fouls a set every 2 weeks. So do all the other XLT&#39;s around. You just cannot let them idle. They foul plugs bad. Also, on hot days, you better have a place to open them up if your riding tight trails, or you will be changing the plugs out. And i mean every 20 minutes. Also, can you fix a fouled plug?? Some say yea, some say no.

highlandergerman
06-22-2003, 01:30 PM
i have always liked the ngk, i have used champion ,but have never liked them as much.

Good2Go
06-22-2003, 03:49 PM
I have used NGK/CHAMPION/BOSCH. In my sled i run NGK BR8ES and maybe only foul 1 or 2 plugs a year. The rest of the time they work great. I run champions in all my lawnmowers, never had a problem, and used BOSCH in my car and they run terrrible. ???

Rocketman
06-22-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Bauer@Jun 20 2003, 10:30 PM
All i use is NGK. Thats all there is around here. My xlt fouls a set every 2 weeks. So do all the other XLT&#39;s around. You just cannot let them idle. They foul plugs bad. Also, on hot days, you better have a place to open them up if your riding tight trails, or you will be changing the plugs out. And i mean every 20 minutes. Also, can you fix a fouled plug?? Some say yea, some say no.
sure you can fix a fouled plug...just burn the oil off with a torch and maybe clean with a wire brush if there is lots of gunk (that&#39;s a technical term)

dawg
06-22-2003, 07:13 PM
82% makes NGK look they they r the choice for all most of us, so i guess i&#39;ll personally be staying with them.

revrnd
10-16-2005, 08:20 PM
In Canada COL Sam Mclaughlin (Mclaughlin Carrage Co Oshawa) was contracted to build Buicks circa 1908 under licence. Here&#39;s a quiz for ya. How do you know the difference between Canadian built or American Buicks of the Twenties? ;)
[/b]

The Canadian Buicks up until the end of production during (I think the &#39;41 model year) were called McLauglin Buicks.

Some more trivia. My father says there was no difference really between &#39;40 & &#39;41 Chevs other than the trim was not chromed, just painted.

Also, right now the North Plant in downtown Oshawa is being torn down. This was the last building left from the Col. Sam era. GM built cars here until around &#39;54 when car production moved to the South Plant. Truck production including HD & MD trucks moved to the Truck Plant on Park Rd. in &#39;65.

Yamahammer
10-17-2005, 04:22 PM
Wow, this is another old post!

I use NGK Iridium plugs and never fouled one yet, but change them half way through the season for just in case purposes. Plus, sled starts a little easier when cold.

jtkennedy9
10-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Champion. I just go with the manufacturer specs.

SLeDHeaDDude800
10-17-2005, 08:36 PM
BR9ECS Solid Caps!!!!!

Catstoke
10-17-2005, 08:57 PM
i use only NGK plugs, they make 90 % of the plug in the world
the problems of the fouling plugs is often the machine, rarely the plugs.
they make for f-1,sled ,and all engine gazoline and diesel ,plus NTK oxygens sensors is made by NGK .
ford ,chrysler and other car dealer , when you buy a ford plug chek its whrite ngk on the spaks plug .

NGK best plugs in the world,thanks to ngk memberships for my update formation this sumers. sorry for my english Cat stroke

switchbackrider
10-17-2005, 09:07 PM
I&#39;ve had good luck with both ngk and champions in my sled cant complain about either one, especially when its jetted right for the climate. still have the originall champions for my o4 sled with 1200 miles on them as my spare plugs but i am runing ngks now with 1500 miles on them and it still runs great. but the electrodes are wearing down so it will be getting a new set for this winter.

Yamahammer
10-17-2005, 11:54 PM
i use only NGK plugs, they make 90 % of the plug in the world
the problems of the fouling plugs is often the machine, rarely the plugs.
they make for f-1,sled ,and all engine gazoline and diesel ,plus NTK oxygens sensors is made by NGK .
ford ,chrysler and other car dealer , when you buy a ford plug chek its whrite ngk on the spaks plug .

NGK best plugs in the world,thanks to ngk memberships for my update formation this sumers. sorry for my english Cat stroke
[/b]

Sorry to sound nit picky, but did you say that NGK makes spark plugs for diesel engines? :D Diesels dont use spark plugs to generate the ignition of a charge in a combustion chamber, they use the compression of the cylinder to generate that heat required for ignition.

MikeD
10-19-2005, 11:21 AM
I think he meant glow plugs for diesels ....

Yamahammer
10-25-2005, 09:19 PM
I stand corrected.

Went to their site and they make a whole bunch of stuff I didnt know.

Sorry Catstoke

phazerhater
10-27-2005, 07:23 PM
WOW! This post is a blast from the past...original post in 2001!lol
I stick with the cheap ole BR9EYA plugs. Best bang for the buck IMO.

msperic
10-28-2005, 08:46 PM
I use to run BR9ES in my Formula III 800 triple. Would foul a plug here and there. I then switched to BR9EYA&#39;s had good luck with them. Don&#39;t think I fouled more then 2 plugs last season with the EYA&#39;s. Recently bought a 2004 REV 800HO just wondering what plug everyone is running in this engine? NGK&#39;S or is there something better. Don&#39;t really care about the cost just want what is going to work the best. Thanks

ski-doorider
11-13-2005, 01:09 PM
msperic, I have had really good luck running the BR9ECS plugs from doo. I change the evenry 3000kms or once a year, whichever comes first (usually the 3k&#39;s if its a good winter :D .

permafrost
11-14-2005, 08:25 AM
This post certainly is a blast from the past. Revrnd I know how you like to mull things over, but there is a 2 year delayed response to TD&#39;s question. :)

We tried runing the fancy shmancy $12/plug BR9ECS&#39;s and had all kinds of fouling issues. Switched back to the BR9ES and no more probs plus a box of ten is $20.

Permafrost

snowmutt
11-15-2005, 04:59 PM
hmmm. My 05 gade SS came w/ a flux compasitor :lmao:
I ran br9es in my old 500 , fouled 1 plug in 5yrs 6k mi. But this new ride i&#39;ve been trough 2 sets of br9ecs,s since june ! just trying to get the smell in the garage and keep the juices flowing. From what i hurd doo switch to the ECS,s over the ES,s is the ES were buring holes in the pistons from getting to hot to close . But then i&#39;ve hurd people swear by the ES,s in the revs.
Truthfully I think we just need some SNOW to burn the GUNK out of it ! :D

vapourtrail
11-15-2005, 05:14 PM
it&#39;s been so long that i can&#39;t remember if i responded to this thread or not :bash: so here goes again maybe.ngk br9es,but the ones with the solid cap on top.the open cap tips break off too easy. :blahblah:

doonut
11-16-2005, 12:05 PM
Wow! misinformation is an amazing thing. This thread was definately good for a laugh or two.

Platinum spark plugs have a "hotter" spark??????
Sorry, the material the electrode is made of has nothing to do with the temperature of the "spark" The resistence to firing, ( fuel mixture, humidity, compression pressure and fuel quality)the available stored voltage and the coils current capacity for the duration of the spark dictates the temperature of the spark.

A fouled spark plug rarely can be seen. Carbon tracks left from unburnt oil and gas connect the center electrode to the body of the spark plug by bridging the center insulator with conductive material. Two ground electrodes(splitfire) will never change that fact.

The difference in conductivity of platinum and copper at 25,000 volts over a .25 inch span is negligible at best.

If you believe spark plug hooey, I have a great deal on a nice beach front home in the everglades for ya :)

sledman92
01-01-2006, 10:39 AM
I have found and it was proved last year that resistor plugs foul and give some pretty big headaches, my buddy has a v max 4 800 he can&#39;t run resistor plugs BR9ES but you put in B9ES no problem same with my buddies 600 xcr he was always having problems with his plugs changing them all the time, so he finally put in B9ES havn&#39;t changed them since..Why you ask I have no Idea...We all run these plugs now and have no problems when we change the plugs for a new season we sometimes find a few in a box that don&#39;t work

Happy New Year

Rick K
01-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Yes I have had some bad luck with NKG plugs too.....

Rick :D

uncle neil
01-01-2006, 02:00 PM
back in the day i had a 72 cheetah, around 22 pulls to get her started, i had champion n2 in the old girl. the first pull was a thug thug. this old girl had the kawasaki engine in it not the suzuki. good thing i was young not the old fart today.once started and warmed up,she ran all day and easy too start