1983 Srv 540 Specs [Archive] - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

: 1983 Srv 540 Specs

Team_Arctic
10-18-2003, 12:20 PM
i just got a sled from my girlfriend's dad for free its a 83 srv 540 in great conditon... except one piston has a small hole in it... im replacing ther pistons.. but i was wanting to know all of the specs of the machine if anyone knew where i could get them or has them PLEASE let me know

T_A

SWRules

485ccofphazer
10-18-2003, 11:40 PM
Does it have TSS?

Warrior
10-19-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by 485ccofphazer@Oct 18 2003, 08:40 PM
Does it have TSS?

Yes, they came out with TSS that year.

Team_Arctic,Were do you live? I know that sled inside and out. I've put pistons in mine twice and even replaced the crank bearings a few years back. I now that sled from the tips of the skis to the snow flap. What are you looking for?

Warrior

Team_Arctic
10-25-2003, 03:18 PM
well for starters.... im a cat guy... i dont know very much about the older yamies i know some about the new ones but not much about the old one besides the basics of the engine and such so... what exactly is tss?... i knwo that it is single carb and has independant front sus. with bars that go into cylinders that are tucked into the hood .. i live in wisconsin.. .just north of madison and im looking for any helpful info on that sled.. i have heard that they are prone to over-heat and melt pistons is there any way to fix this? i have thought about tryin to make a forced air induction tube that feeds right to the fan for cooler air to pass by the pistons are they any tips for performance or just any little neat things about the sled... ill take alll the info anyone can give i like to know as much about sleds as i can and i like to learn about the ones i own the more i know the better.. you can never know too much about a sled.... thanks to anyone who can help me out here!!!

T_A

Danny

:D SWRules SWRules SWRules

andw1
10-25-2003, 03:27 PM
I used to have a 84 SRV and never had an overheating problem. I did have oil pump problems on it and my 87 VMax. The plastic gear in the oil pump tends to strip out. I went through a few pistions and finally just disconnected the pump and ran pre-mix.
BTW, keep an eye on the skis, they have a tendancy to rust out under the saddle, the ski folds in half and you do superman over the bars.

485ccofphazer
10-25-2003, 10:47 PM
Yea, I took my Phazers off and one is so rusted that in the middle it can peel back, and yea I think it will break in half soon. Time 4 composites!

killermxz800
10-26-2003, 12:52 AM
I have an 82 srv 540 or so I am told. I think it is actually a sr 540 F is what some one else told me. I dont know much about the specs as I never touch the sled. It is used for my friends to ride when they dont have something. I can vouch for the skis as my buddy was riding it down the river at night and he ran out of gas. When he got off the sled he noticed the front half of the ski was missing. NOw it has my old ski doo composites on their and soon to have a polaris skid installed in the back. Never had any problems over heating and it rans for 6 miles at WOT down the river. for an 82 it still does 90.

Mikadoo
10-26-2003, 01:12 AM
The SRV, I put 11000 miles on my old 82. Rebuilt it once, all it need was rings and seals. Preventive maintenance I would recommend replacing crank seals if it has over 6000 miles. Replace the fan belt and fan bearings yearly. If you want air induction order the set up from Yamaha, they came on 86 and up SRV's.
Basically from 83 to 90 there was little to no changes except for the air scoop.
A little known fact; 1980 was the first SRV, it was army green and only a few made. 81 they were silver and blue. 82 they were black with yellow and red striping and from then on the motor was un-changed.
I changed the suspention and comet clutch to the 83 model and added the fan induction off the 86 model. The comet clutch netted 5 sled lengths over stock.
Let me know if you need further help, I know this sled inside and out.

FreezerBurnt
10-29-2003, 09:59 PM
27,000 yes thousand kms on my 86 SRV

Extremmely reliable 1 track 2clutches set of shocks and no rebuild though the engine needed it at 27,000 km LOL:hallo4: but still ran

The 80-82 had the small intake port(not sure on the 83)same as the 85-90 XLV 540

The 84 and up had the larger ports and same reeds as the Phazer which where larger

I owned both an 84 and 86 SRV 540

Last year for SRV was 91 it had Blue/green graphics

They had independant since 1980 actually they all SRVs had independant(TSS)

You can fit a SS 440 or XLV engine in the chassis if you need to

Team_Arctic
10-30-2003, 12:19 PM
what happened to it?? it looks like it fell through the ice? .... i did look and those who were wondering... it does have T.S.S is that good? how dose this sled do in the snow? good bad? good traction? bad? fast slow? i know it has a brand new track with about a .75inch lug what about studs? should i stud it? i do a lot of ditch and drift riding.... its the closest to deep snow as i can get thanks for all of the information !!!!! it has helped out alot

dz

TEAM_ARCTIC

usedtoskidoo
10-30-2003, 12:29 PM
I have an old 1981 SRV sitting in the bush at the cottage. I am really toying with the idea of rebuilding it for fun. .....

But I need parts . An engine woiuld help. And I know the clutch is done. Just hard spending a thousand when you knwo at the end of the day the thing is only worth a 1000

FreezerBurnt
10-30-2003, 10:28 PM
Extremely great in powder for a short track sled

The stock track sucked though I had put a .75 track and it made big time improvements

Well for a 83 TSS is good not many sleds had IFS then only Indys and Blizzard MX(heavy)

BUT remember you are riding a 83 not a 03

IMO buy a new rear shock

Look for a top speed of 80 +/- 3mph

They are good on gas BUT the gas tank was way to small only 5.8gallons (this is why most people thought they were hard on gas

I always got about 70-80miles per tank which is about 12-13mpg and way better then friends Indy Trails (488fan)

Team_Arctic
10-30-2003, 10:38 PM
gee FreezerBurnt you sure do know your stuff on this sled! it helps alot ill post some pictures of what im doing... im painting it and going over the entire sled from skitip to snowflap fixing anything i see wrong and painting up alot of the parts to spice it up a bit ill get some pictures of it on here soon! well the pieces lol.. oh by the way.... it has all new shocks in it but is there any good sites to get parts from ? thanks

T_A

danny

FreezerBurnt
10-31-2003, 12:02 AM
On my 86 SRV I had the windshield painted black with a red YAMAHA decal on it

I paint the adjustable plate at the bottom of the hood red too

My skis where painted RED with Red ski skins

Had all red idlers(wheels) and graphite sliders

here is pic off TSS
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/sno/epic/500/80_suv_tech.jpg

And here is a pic of a 83 SRV

Mikadoo
11-01-2003, 01:26 AM
The engine on the SRV from 82-91 was viturally unchanged. The gas tank held 7 gallons and got 10 mpg on a good day. I rode this thing for 11 years and gas was always a problem.
None the less it was a very good sled and got around real well but not to todays standards. I can go thru snow now that the SRV only dreamed of.
The single biggest improvment I did on the 82 was a Comet clutch and for 83 and I think 84 they had Comets stock. From then on it was Yammi's own.
I rebuilt mine @ 8000 miles just because it was getting tired and again @ 11000 because the oil pump failed. It is still around and the guy has only put 800 miles on it since 94, still mint looking!
There is a 91 for sale just down the road from me, looks good driving by. I dont know what the price is.

SRV540
11-06-2003, 11:21 PM
Visit my site dedicated to the SRV540, there is a message board there with some good info On the ol srv

http://www.srv540.iwrp.com

FreezerBurnt
11-07-2003, 01:05 AM
Mikadoo proves my point on the MPG : :) lookaround:

He thinks that the SRV has a 7gallon gas tank and say he got 10mpg which is 70miles per gas tank

The SRV has a 5.8 gallon gas tank hence his 70miles per tank is about 12-13mpg :)

This seems to be the misunderstanding on how some thought the SRV was bad on gas when it was actually good though its 5.8gallon tank hindered travelling distance to 65-80miles :christmas:

Mikadoo
11-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Geez freeze I dont want to start a pissi'n match over a gas tank but here in the states the SRV any SRV had a 7 gallon tank not imperial gallons.
Had to be towed more than once to a gas station, actually took 7.3 U.S. gallons to fill it from bone dry.
The last couple of years I owned it I carried 2 empty qt. oil bottles filled with gas [1/2 gallon] or 5 miles to save me from time to time from the rope.....

Team_Arctic
11-12-2003, 12:26 AM
just talked to the people boreing it out for me... they got it done at 20 over that should give me a little extra power then right?

Mikadoo
11-12-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Team_Arctic@Nov 11 2003, 11:26 PM
just talked to the people boreing it out for me... they got it done at 20 over that should give me a little extra power then right?
The new bore & rings will bring compression and power back up but as far as 20 over you will never see or feel the difference.

FreezerBurnt
11-14-2003, 02:20 AM
No pissing match intended :thumbsup:

You find it was hard on gas I didn't

I find it is the small tank that hinders it range

Back in 96 the last season I rode my SRV

This will always stick in my head

Me and 3guys went on a good ride

$13 to fill my SRV-boyseen reeds and 25,000+kms on sled at that point
$16 to fill the 96 FIII
$18 to fill the 96 ZRT 600
$21 to fill the 96 Pantera 580efi

We all left with full tanks of gas and fill up at the Sportmans Lodge before heading back

I had to keep it pretty well peg most of the time to keep up especially on lakes + it was real warm that morning about 34f though it fell to 20f by mid afternoon

The Pantera really surprised us though being efi and a twin vs triples and a fan,the guy thought that with EFI the sled would be much better on gas :crazy: :dazed:

:inlove: in 96 I put nearly 6000kms on my SRV that year best snow year :inlove: here 1st ride NOV 12th and last April 16th :inlove:

I always was within $2-3 when riding with riding buddies MXs(462) then too

Sure they can ride a lot further but they also had 9gal(40liters) tanks vs my 5.8gal(26liters)

Same goes with the Indy Trails 488 fans I always to way less gas then those gas hogs

That is also why I wished in 99 the new Fan cool would have been a 540 fan with dual carbs instead we got the 485 :sleeping: aka new SRV 540 in SX chassis then

Look at the big fans today the 550 Doo and Poos and the 570 Cat if the 540 would have been dual carb it would right in the thick of the big fan class IMO

Sorry Mike no pissing match intended :blush: just my experience with my favorite sled I owned :inlove: