Oil Injector Adjustment [Archive] - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

: Oil Injector Adjustment

fast426
12-26-2003, 05:15 PM
On a 1998 XLT Indy Special 600 how do you adjust the oil injector cable. The machine fouls out pulgs very badly even brand new ones, so I am concluding the oil injector cable is either broke or streched. First doe the initila diagnosis sound right and second how do you adjust it and to what spec. Thanks.

n2oiroc
12-28-2003, 12:27 AM
if the cable is broke or streched you would get no oil. to adjust it there are 2 lock nuts on the cable right on top the oil pump, you move it up and down to adjust it. there is also a reference mark on the oil pump arm that should be pointed strait up at idle, it is hard to see but it is there.

team crash290
12-28-2003, 12:17 PM
the line is on the arm and on the pump itself ! line the to up

NewfieBullet
12-28-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by n2oiroc@Dec 28 2003, 04:27 AM
if the cable is broke or streched you would get no oil. to adjust it there are 2 lock nuts on the cable right on top the oil pump, you move it up and down to adjust it. there is also a reference mark on the oil pump arm that should be pointed strait up at idle, it is hard to see but it is there.
Very true. If there's a problem with the cable the results will be much more serious than fouled plugs.
What have you got in it for jets? How is it being driven? If it's jetted too rich, or it's being driven like it's a Cadillac belonging to a 73 year old 4'11" tall old woman then you have to expect fouled plugs.
Squeeze that throttle and get some air flowing through there and I'll bet your problem will be solved.

michahicks
12-28-2003, 01:03 PM
I agree with the previous post. Run it. If you are just messing around in the yard or a small neighborhood, it's going to smoke. If you've just come in from a 75 mile ride, and it still seems to be smoking, and you are using a quality oil, then you may have an issue. Still, you are going to have to have a very good idea of how much oil you are using on a per gallon of gasoline used basis. Without that, it's impossible to make an informed decision. Don't just guess. That gets expensive.

Vogey
12-28-2003, 02:02 PM
how much oil per gallon is normal i have a 97 ultra that i just switched over to amsiol and it seems like its going through oil a lot faster then last year

Steve800
12-28-2003, 07:41 PM
I thought the oil pump went into a high oil flow mode if the cable breaks.

Basically if the cable breaks, the arm moves past the normal idle position, which is the same oil flow as wide open (no guarantee that the a broken cable will let it return all the way though).

n2oiroc
12-28-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Vogey@Dec 28 2003, 01:02 PM
how much oil per gallon is normal i have a 97 ultra that i just switched over to amsiol and it seems like its going through oil a lot faster then last year
it depends how you ride. on the lake last year wot most of the time i would use 1 qt every 25-30 miles and average about 5-6 mpg. on the trails i use a little less than 1 qt every tank and get 11 mpg. i also use amsoil.

n2oiroc
12-28-2003, 09:50 PM
oops, i forgot on the above post mine is a 1997 ultra sp.

jfox
12-28-2003, 11:29 PM
check out http://www.silvercliff.com/tech/oiler.html it might help you!

michahicks
12-29-2003, 06:32 AM
How much oil? Most oil is rated for use at 50:1. That would be a pint to 6 gallons.

Top off your fuel and oil tanks. When the sled is ready for fuel again, watch and see how many gallons it takes to fill it. Then see exactly how much oil it takes to fill it. Make some notes. Start doing the math....

I would do that a couple times (150-200 milies), at least, before making a decision regarding an adjustment.

polaris boy
01-12-2004, 10:49 PM
i had a spx 97 and it sucked back the fuel and oil. the chases is hevey.the triple pipes also burns lots of fuel fast sled tho