Skidoo Percision Skis On An Rx1? [Archive] - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

: Skidoo Percision Skis On An Rx1?

mxzdude
03-25-2004, 11:50 AM
Being basically a skidoo rider I have some extra skis around. For next season I'm getting a vector(my first yammy) I saw that Doo had in a catalog the mounts to but their dual runner percision skis on other makes including Yamaha. these skis work great on Skidoo's. Has any one tried them on their Yamaha?

anteater
03-26-2004, 08:11 PM
a guy I know put a set on his 04 rx-1 and said it made it handle like a totally different sled.he found the factory ski's to grabby and made the sled dart all over the place.he said the reason he did it is because he was riding across a stubble field amd he took one hand off the bars to turn around to make sure his wife was coming behind and the ski's grabbed the snow a took the bars right out if his hands and flipped the sled over .he was some pissed the sled was still new and broke some stuff .anyways he said the precision ski's work great on his rx-1!

eurofan
03-30-2004, 07:18 AM
I put a set of precision skis on my Viper this year. I used the Ski-Doo mount but had to turn the bushings around on the ski. After I did that they bolted right on. I am not sure if the RX-1 is the same or not. My brother bought a used RX-1 this year and it had a set of Simmons on it. Those didn't fit as well, the previous owner had used washers for spacers. But maybe he couldn't find the correct mount when he put them on?? Another guy that I know with an RX-1 installed the Simmons also, I hadn't seen his, but he said it madee it a whole new machine. I dont intend to ride a sled without them any more! They made that much difference to me.

POWERHAULIC
03-30-2004, 10:19 PM
I've had them on my RX for 2 seasons, vast improvment over the stock skis.

Mighty RX-1
03-31-2004, 01:04 AM
Ski evaluation on Warriors and RX1’s for touring. When you tour it is difficult to purchase non-stock components on the trail.

Our group of 7guys has tried C&A, Simmons Flex, Doo precision and stock skis on warriors and RX1s. All the skis had ski-shims thus none of them darted unless you were in ruts from the same brand of skis. The following is our combined opinions.

C&A is a great all around ski. The design is similar to the stock ski but wider. Deep snow and slush is where it shines. In hard packed snow they are also good. The two negatives are the wear rods are more difficult to get than stock ski wear rods and the skis seem to deform or loose shape after lots of miles.

Simmons Flex ski are good all around skis. The floatation is very good and the hard packed turning is very good. The steering is light. The skis flex over studder bumps, which feels great on the handlebars. The two negatives are the wear rods are more difficult to get than stock ski wear rods and they push on loose snow over a hard packed snow base.

Ski Doo precision skis are good all around skis. The floatation is very good and the hard packed turning is very good. The steering is light. The wear rods are easy to get at any Doo dealer. They are poor on loose snow over a hard packed snow base. The main negative is they are a Doo part.

The stock skis were good over all with Bergstrom or dually carbides. Stock carbides were poor at best. The Bergstrom’s handled the best but was not available on the trail. The dually carbides were easy to get at Yamaha dealers. The main plus for touring was that the metal plate between the wear rods and the skis acted as a great wear plate to protect the skis when the wear rod were run beyond the normal replacement point. The main problem with the stock skis is the two-step bolt used by Yamaha for the wear rod mounting. The front bolt, non-stepped, of the after market wear rods would break due to the vibration in the base of the two-step hole. A short piece of plastic or rubber tubing on the base of the bolt was all it needed to prevent this problem.

Overall the guys felt that the Simmons flex skis were our favorite. The shock reduction was the best feature followed by the flotation. We were able to mount an extra pair of the short wear rods under the hood. Our second favorite was the Stock skis with Dually carbides or Bergstrom with the Bergstrom wear plates.

RXWonder
Internet Snowmobile Junkie

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:13 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Dan...you just answered a future post of mine. I too had the Bergstrom Skegs on my 2003. Along with the Ski-Savers that Bergstrom included they were great for handling (no more darting) and wore perfectly without the use of shims. I will never buy "brand name" carbides again. Can't beat the price and quality of Bergstroms.

Great info....

Convert
Expert

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:08 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dukester am i to understand you traded in the best sled you've ever owned (Warrior) for the new RX1? If so why the change of heart? Not knocking it just ordered the same for myself just curious why you switched!

Thanks

Convert
Nerd with a Silver Sled
Keeping the Silver 03. Candy Apple Red 05 on order for the wife

YamahaRx-Warrior
Pro

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:16 pm Post subject:

Dukster Has almost 13k miles on his warrior and is keeping it. I am sure he got the new rx-1 over the warrior because the mono and it's lighter.

Justin
My Page

Dukester
Expert

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:06 pm Post subject:

Convert: I kept my warrior for my brother to ride and for the kids when they are home. My brother crashed the wife's warrior earlier this year. The wife rode a 04 F7 for the rest of the year. She loved it until she rode the 05 RX1.

The wife and I rode the 05 RX1 and Vector fairly extensively. We went back and forth between them and the 04 warrior, and felt they were all great. We both liked the RX1 best so we ordered two. The wife and I always ride the same model sled so it is easier for me to keep up with how her's is running.

The second reason we bought the RX1 is the ease of adjustability. We do a lot of bagger trips and the bags weigh about 50 lbs. Many times we stay at the same loddging point for 2 nights. Therefore we ride every other day with out bags. The warrior is a pain to adjust every day. The RX1 should make adjustments easy.

They changed some thing on the RX1 that makes it more nimble.

grapeape
Extreme

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:21 pm Post subject:

FYI in case Simmons wear bars are needed on short notice, check your local Artic Cat dealer. AC is selling Simmons skis and bars as of the 04 catalogue

wilgy
03-31-2004, 06:05 PM
I rode a friends RX1 with dual runner ski's, it cured his darting problem.

yamamaniac
03-31-2004, 10:25 PM
I have heard numerous reports saying that the precisions are a 10+ on RX-1's.

I know that you don't have to spend money on your precisions, because you already have a set, but if it was a matter of money, just get some 8 or 10 inch carbides for stock ski's. night and day difference over stock