1998 Xc 700 Reverse? [Archive] - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

: 1998 Xc 700 Reverse?


Polaris_Freak
09-13-2004, 11:35 PM
[COLOR=blue]My 1998 Polaris XC 700 Came with reverse and it keeps pulling the chaincase seal off from around the cover and messes all the gears up, and my sled with make a grinding noise and won't move until I remove the cover and replace the seal. It happens offen. I will replace it and assemble it again and it will happen again within weeks....What should I do??

PETE/NY
09-13-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Polaris_Freak@Sep 13 2004, 11:43 PM
[COLOR=blue]My 1998 Polaris XC 700 Came with reverse and it keeps pulling the chaincase seal off from around the cover and messes all the gears up, and my sled with make a grinding noise and won't move until I remove the cover and replace the seal. It happens offen. I will replace it and assemble it again and it will happen again within weeks....What should I do??
344995

POLAR_BUS___ where are you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Consider yourself lucky that you just have to replace the seal each time.On my 99 500 the lower gear blew and took the inner half of the chaincase with it to the tune of $245! My seal also did the same thing as yours and 2 dealers near me cannot explain why the seal does this trick!!! Let us all know if you find out what causes it.

Polaris_Freak
09-14-2004, 12:09 AM
I'll be sure to let you know if i find out...

Polar_Bus
09-14-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Polaris_Freak@Sep 13 2004, 11:43 PM
[COLOR=blue]My 1998 Polaris XC 700 Came with reverse and it keeps pulling the chaincase seal off from around the cover and messes all the gears up, and my sled with make a grinding noise and won't move until I remove the cover and replace the seal. It happens offen. I will replace it and assemble it again and it will happen again within weeks....What should I do??
344995



I am very stumped on this issue? The chaincase seal rides in a recess in both the chaincase, and the cover. There is really no way for the gears to be able to "pull the seal out" as you are describing. We are talking about the thin long chaincase rubber seal, right? Is the rubber seal exposed at all on the inside of the chaincase cover from the chain grinding the case? Sleds with reverse, the lower reverse gear rides very close the the cover.

Polaris_Freak
09-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Yeah, it is the thin rubber seal going around the whole chaincase. I wouldn't think it would be able to do this either, but some home it manages too. It is like all the fluid drains out of the case, and awhile after that happens the seal goes.

PETE/NY
09-14-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Polaris_Freak@Sep 14 2004, 08:49 AM
Yeah, it is the thin rubber seal going around the whole chaincase. I wouldn't think it would be able to do this either, but some home it manages too. It is like all the fluid drains out of the case, and awhile after that happens the seal goes.
345039

When I pulled my cover off, this seal was in pieces inside the chaincase!!! I went to put mine into reverse and without any warning, it just started grinding! There were no pieces of that seal on the outside of the case?????????? My dealer has said hes seen this a few other times but no explanation of why it occurs!!!

SEXltsp
09-14-2004, 09:27 AM
I can't exactly picture what you guys are talking about but could it be a worn bearing and the jack shaft or drave shaft is walking a bit and grabbing the gasket?

Too much slack in the chain?

I've never taken apart a machine with reverse so I don't really know what I'm talking about, lol.

michahicks
09-14-2004, 09:59 AM
My guess is that it hasn't been assembled properly to start with. It's very easy for that seal to fall, or be pushed, out of place while struggling to get it into place and get the bolts started. We usually clean the cover real well and use gasket sealer to glue the string to the cover side. Then be very carefull putting it together.

I don't know how you can be locking it up without finding damaged parts or a broken bolt when you take it apart. That doesn't make sense at all.

PETE/NY
09-14-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by michahicks@Sep 14 2004, 10:07 AM
My guess is that it hasn't been assembled properly to start with. It's very easy for that seal to fall, or be pushed, out of place while struggling to get it into place and get the bolts started. We usually clean the cover real well and use gasket sealer to glue the string to the cover side. Then be very carefull putting it together.

I don't know how you can be locking it up without finding damaged parts or a broken bolt when you take it apart. That doesn't make sense at all.
345059

:( My 500 did have damage when it started grinding.I replaced the inner chaincase cover, chain and reverse gears to a tune of over $200.All I did was put it in reverse ( old style cable/lever in middle of handlebar) and something let go! It never gave me one bit of trouble until then.The sled had alittle over 4500 miles on it but remember when I took it apart, the first thing I saw was the bits and pieces of the rubber gasket.This was the original chaincase/cover gasket and all the inner workings from the factory and me being the original owner had never taken the chaincase cover off.

98xc700
09-14-2004, 10:56 PM
When I had my 98 I had reverse on it and never had any problem like that. Had to adjust the cable once in a while but that was about it. I had it apart a couple of times to change the gearing. It always worked good. Wish I could help. :confused: