Synthetic Oil For 600 Sdi [Archive] - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

: Synthetic Oil For 600 Sdi

Silver SDI
11-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Which oil do you use for the 600 SDI. I notice that BRP has a new oil for the SDI engines for this year, a synthetic blend, what happened to XPS II? What do you use: XPS II, AMsoil, Blue Marble, Ipone, Legend ZX, Castrol, Bardahl, Shell, etc....

Steimy
11-18-2004, 09:36 PM
Ski-doo now calls all of their oil just XPS. There is xps mineral, xps synthetic, xps semi synthetic ,bla bla bla. You must at a minimum use the semi synthetic in your SDI. I use the xps synthetic. My dealer when I asked said the very best oil you can use for this sled is the xps synthetic. Not just to make a sale either because when I asked about grease for the chassis he could have told me the $18 grease from ski-doo was the best but he said the $3 white lithium is just fine.

JasonF
11-18-2004, 10:07 PM
I really wonder about this issue as well, my dealer now says that Doo is recomending the XPS blend, so doesn't this mean just about any good synthetic would work? Amsoil, Klotz, Blue Marble, and so on are all good sythetics that would seem to me to exceed a blended oil.

OntRider
11-18-2004, 10:12 PM
I'll be running Amsoil in mine as I did with my past two machines... never had a problem with sticky valves, although I've always done preventative maintenance and cleaned them every 2000 km or so.

Steimy
11-18-2004, 10:22 PM
He said other synthetics are fine, He said the amsoil interceptor was a good oil. His biggest point was that ski-doo spends millions in research on these oils so that they are formulated to work best for their sleds. That other blend (semi-synthetic) was just offered because it is available for a lower price if you don't want to spend $40 a gal. or whatever it may be.

hillpounder
11-19-2004, 12:44 AM
Quaker state just sent out a promotion package about a new full synthetic, "Xtreme watercraft/snowmobile". Looking at the specs and msds it VERY close to the xpsII. They even go as far as to claim its a subtitute for rotax oils. It's iso-egd rated and should sell for $15-16 a gal. Looking at the specs it should be a good buy, we'll see.

gman086
11-19-2004, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Steimy@Nov 18 2004, 10:44 PM
He said other synthetics are fine, He said the amsoil interceptor was a good oil. His biggest point was that ski-doo spends millions in research on these oils so that they are formulated to work best for their sleds. That other blend (semi-synthetic) was just offered because it is available for a lower price if you don't want to spend $40 a gal. or whatever it may be.

That's the most hilarious thing I've ever heard! SkiDoo contracts out their oil business just like all the rest of the manufacturers so they actually spend next to nothing. You just pay more for the SkiDoo name on the same synthetic made by a major supplier. That's why the other synthetics are "fine". I buy whichever I find on sale - Klotz, Blue Marble, and Amsoil all work great and reduce smoke and carbon build up.

G MAN

OntRider
11-19-2004, 09:35 AM
It is well known that Ski-Doo oil is made by Castrol. It's a special blend, but it's made by Castrol. I am sure the million and one other quality synthetic oils on the market provide the same or better protective qualities as the Ski-Doo oil.

The Quaker State oil sounds interesting, especially if it's in the price range mentioned.

fastpig
11-19-2004, 03:41 PM
When I bought my GSX Limited 600 SDI I asked my Ski-Doo dealer which oil to use and he recommended the Amsoil Interceptor Oil. So that is what I have been using and the sled runs great.

revrnd
11-19-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by JasonF@Nov 18 2004, 10:29 PM
I really wonder about this issue as well, my dealer now says that Doo is recomending the XPS blend, so doesn't this mean just about any good synthetic would work?* Amsoil, Klotz, Blue Marble, and so on are all good sythetics that would seem to me to exceed a blended oil.

I was thinking the same last winter after 'doo gcame out w/ the blended oil.

I see White Water Marine in Peterborough is now selling Ipone.

OntRider
11-19-2004, 03:58 PM
The cheaper 100% synth Amsoil is still cheaper than semi-synth ipone... despite recommendations against it, I used regular Amsoil last year on my '03 REV 600HO and never had a problem with sticking valves (again, preventative maintenance is always a good thing).

I am going to do the same this year on my '05 unless there's a compelling reason not to.

I was sort of tempted to try the Ipone oil this year since it's around $7/litre but I just feel better using a full synth oil for the same money.

Sondy
11-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Is AMSOIL known for causing sticking valves??

JasonF
11-19-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Sondy@Nov 19 2004, 06:17 PM
Is AMSOIL known for causing sticking valves??

I've never really heard that, I had very little buildup with the Amsoil, but then again I've never had much gunk on the exhaust valves with any of the oils I've tried. The only oil that gave me any buildup at all was reg Doo dino oil.

ski-doorider
11-20-2004, 08:07 AM
I made the switch to Legend ZX-R oil this year for my 600 sdi. Went down to the snowmobile show and talked to Mark from Legend about it and I had read the test that Ontario snowmobiler did on the oil last year. So I will be giving it a try this year. XPS synthetic is just to expensive at $50 a jug!! :dazed:

Silver SDI
11-20-2004, 10:44 PM
I manage to get contact with Amsoil and Blue Marble. I asked them if there oil was suitable with semi - direct injection engines. From Amsoil there Intercepter is fine with all SDI, that word fine is not to promising or convincing. And from Blue Marble they said they have many customers with SDi engines and they have very good results. I still haven't herd from Ipone. By reading all your replies it seems like any synthetic would, in that case, might as well go to Canadian Tire and buy Shell ultra synthetic, its cheap. Does anybody know the price on Legend ZX for 1L and 4L?

hillpounder
11-21-2004, 10:52 AM
silversdi, word of advice, just try a gallon of whatever you choose before you stock up. You may not even like it. I found a super price once on a popular oil and bought 12 gallons, still have most of it. The cost of shipping oil can often make a good price the same as what you can buy local, plus local you only have to buy 1 and try it before you get more. I know alot of guys in BC that run thier mods and turbos on shell ultra and like it, we can't get it in the US so you don't hear much about it.

ski-doorider
11-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Silver SDI, I bought the Legend ZX-R oil at the snowmobile show for $158 tax included for a case of 4/4L jugs. Royal Distrubuting sells the ZX-R for $38 for a 4L jug. Thats the same price as the stinky XPS semi-synthetic and $12 less than the XPS full synthetic.

Silver SDI
11-21-2004, 07:10 PM
Also at Royal they are selling Shell Ultra synthetic for $41.95 for 4L and Ipone Synthetic (official oil of the Blair Morgan Racing Team) for $34.95 for 4L. Also does anybody know the equivalent Castrol synthetic to XPSII.

revrnd
11-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Silver SDI@Nov 21 2004, 07:32 PM
Also does anybody know the equivalent Castrol synthetic to XPSII.

On the US Castrol website, a SYNTEC snowmobile oil is listed. However it isn't shown on the Canadian website

Castrol SYNTEC (http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=82915529&contentId=6004362)

In the Royal catalogue, Castrol R2 Synthetic snowmobile oil is shown on page 334.

Silver SDI
11-23-2004, 10:38 PM
Has anybody used Ipone synthetic. Is this oil strickly used for racing or is it suitable for trail riding for a 600 SDI.

OntRider
11-24-2004, 12:54 AM
Ipone is a synthetic blend. I have never used it, but I am going to try a jug this year. I don't think it's a race only oil even though Blair Morgan uses it.