Another Easy Question (hopefully) [Archive] - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

: Another Easy Question (hopefully)

Huckleby
01-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Does anyone know if the oil light is somehow connected with the brake light (possibly as a bulb check feature)? When I apply my brake, my oil light comes on. I'm trying to figure out if it is an electrical problem or normal operation.

:withstupid:

Yamahammer
01-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Ya, it must have to be some sort of electrical problem, why else would that light come on when its not sopsed to, unless the whole time u had low oil, lol. Funny thing with some sleds, my buddy had an old 500 ski-doo, and he blew hius headlight bulb, then a few mins later he blew his tail light then shortly after tha he blew his instrument lights, then right after that, it died on him. These sleds were so that if something blew, everything else did, and maybe ur sled is the same case, im not sure if its the same exact thing, but it might be something like that. Other than that, id say check all ur wiring for damaged or frayed wires, and that nothing has tripped and that all ur fuses are not blown or damaged or anything like that. It might even be that some wires got crossed somewhere that its making the oil light come on when ur brake light comes on. Best bet it to check it all over for junk like that.

Yamaha-ha-ha
01-26-2005, 08:56 PM
I had the same thing with my 83 SS440. When I took the seat off to recover it, the wires were worn just a bit. I ran new wires, and the oil light only came on when it was low on oil. Not saying that that is your problem, but it's worth checking!

Huckleby
01-26-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Yamaha-ha-ha@Jan 26 2005, 08:18 PM
I had the same thing with my 83 SS440. When I took the seat off to recover it, the wires were worn just a bit. I ran new wires, and the oil light only came on when it was low on oil. Not saying that that is your problem, but it's worth checking!

Funny that you mention that. I had the seat off to replace the rotten wood backer and found mice damage to the wires. I spliced in a new section, but perhaps I missed some other damage. I'll have to take the seat off again and check. Thanks. I know that on some machines there is a bulb check feature that lets you know if your brake light is not working. I had no idea if these had that or not.

puree
01-26-2005, 10:14 PM
you could have your wires touching behind your dash also,,,, but it definetly sounds like 2 are touching,,,, if it only comes on when you press your brake, check your wiring from your brake handle to your brake light,,, somewhere in there it is jumping over and hitting your other oil light warning

FreezerBurnt
01-27-2005, 12:03 AM
My 86 and 84 SRV did the same

aka apply the brake and the oil light would light up

Sounds normal to me :)

Devo
01-27-2005, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by FreezerBurnt@Jan 26 2005, 11:25 PM
My 86 and 84 SRV did the same

aka apply the brake and the oil light would light up

Sounds normal to me :)

Yep I agree
I've never had the brand of Yamaha you have but on a 94 safari it is in the owners manual that the low oil light is also the brake light so it's probably The same

01adrenaline800
01-27-2005, 09:59 AM
idk what the guys who made the first replies were smoking because all of the sleds i have ever seen do that. (theirs probably do too)

puree
01-27-2005, 10:57 AM
I have had exciters, vmax's, and enticers and have never had one that the oil light came on when I hit the brake,,,, I guess anything is possible, but I have never seen it,,,,

Huckleby
01-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Don't feel bad. I talked to a Yamaha mecahnic yesterday and he didn't know if that was normal or not either. Hummmmm?

Tim Kunsa
01-28-2005, 06:34 PM
On my '83 SS440, the oil light came on when I hit the brake since it was new. I've seen several other similar sleds do the same thing, I'm quite sure its normal as a bulb check. Its not from a shorted wire or anything, its wired that way. The question is: Was it mistakenly wired that way from the factory? I find this unlikely.

Hope you enjoy the sled as much as I enjoy mine

yamahasledkid
01-28-2005, 09:58 PM
Hey man
i got a ss 440 also. the red light comes on when you hit the brakes its just an idiot light to let you know u hit the brakes. really kinda stupid but thats what it is. the red light will stay on though when your oil is low.

m1chadam
01-29-2005, 07:59 AM
'82 ss440, on mine also the red light comes on when i hit the brakes, and a couple of other sleds i looked at before getting this one did the same.