Breaking The Chain On My 02 Zr 800 [Archive] - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

: Breaking The Chain On My 02 Zr 800

highlandergerman
01-31-2005, 12:37 AM
i have broke three chains on my 800.

I always make sure i have proper tension, and oil.

Anyone have any idea why this happens.

Last time was today going down a road 60 mph and i heard a little noise. then i costed to a stop. We where about three miles from the end of the trip.

iS THIS SOMETHING THAT JUST HAPPENS ON THIS SLED OR AM i weaking up the chain and it just breaks latter>

NewfieBullet
01-31-2005, 12:50 AM
That's a tough one. I've never broke a chain on any of my sleds, though I've broken teeth on gears. I don't think I've heard of anyone breaking a chain before. There must be something going on there that you're not seeing. Do you have a reverse kit in there? Is it possible that your gears aren't lined up proprely?

84EVR
01-31-2005, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by highlandergerman@Jan 31 2005, 12:59 AM
i have broke three chains on my 800.
I always make sure i have proper tension,* and oil.

Anyone have any idea why this happens.

Last time was today going down a road 60 mph and i heard a little noise.* then i costed to a stop.* We where about three miles from the end of the trip.

iS THIS SOMETHING THAT JUST HAPPENS ON THIS SLED OR AM i weaking up the chain and it just breaks latter>

Something is defintely not right. I have over 7000 miles on mine. I know of others with over 10 and 15,000 miles on one chain on same sled. Are you setting the tension correctly? Screw in tensioner by hand till there is resistance, then lock the locknut. Was the chaincase apart for some reason. Maybe it didn't get reassembled correctly with all the shims in the correct places. I've also been told, if either a chain or gears break, replace all of them. They need to seat into eachother. Maybe your new chains are being broken by old gears, or something.
Sure others will have ideas too.

ZR Sled Head
01-31-2005, 07:54 AM
No chain issues here either in spite of huge miles on em..........best pay close attention to your gear alignment and chain tension when putting it back together cause it's not a common (or one I've ever heard of) ZR kinda issue.

Rick

Grimm
01-31-2005, 08:00 AM
How do you stop when the chain breaks?

Definately something wrong in there. Maybe missing a spacer washer or got them swapped around accidentally. Did you ever remove these gears to change out a track to cause this to happen? Or has it been this way since new?

highlandergerman
01-31-2005, 08:05 AM
It has been this way since i got it. I will have to look real close and put a straight edge in to make sure this does not happen anymore. It is not fun when the chain breakes. No reverse on the sled.

Also tighten adjustter till finger tight , then back it off just a little.

performancex
01-31-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by highlandergerman@Jan 31 2005, 07:27 AM
Also tighten adjustter till finger tight , then back it off just a little.

tHAT could be it. Maybe you have sligthly too low of tension. The resulting impact on the chain from a bit too much slack will eventually tear it in two.

Or, maybe your gears are not in the same plane so your chain is forced to twist a bit.

sno-pro
01-31-2005, 10:37 AM
Are you running the wider chain ?? They make a heavy duty chain that is around 4 rows wider but requires a wider top sprocket as well . If you are running an agressive track or stud pattern this is a must haveor the stock chain will not hold up. w00t :unsure: :cool: SWRules

mountain cat
01-31-2005, 11:32 AM
I just broke my second chain on my 900 m/c. :bash: Just returned from the dealer to get the clutches checked out, ended up loose set screws, 2 1/2 hours away and went 2-3 miles and it broke. :cussing: I have 575 miles on it and it broke once before a couple hundred miles ago. I have been keeping it tight, and it has a 50 chain, so back to the dealer tomorrow and hopefully get this cured. I think i am now seeing a major bonus to diamond drive system.

sno-pro
01-31-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by mountain cat@Jan 31 2005, 04:54 PM
I just broke my second chain on my 900 m/c. :bash:* Just returned from the dealer to get the clutches checked out, ended up loose set screws, 2 1/2 hours away and went 2-3 miles and it broke.* :cussing: I have 575 miles on it and it broke once before a couple hundred miles ago. I have been keeping it tight, and it has a 50 chain, so back to the dealer tomorrow and hopefully get this cured. I think i am now seeing a major bonus to diamond drive system.

There were people on here last year complaining they were averaging 1000 miles on the 2004 zr900 before the diamond drive would break.

NewfieBullet
01-31-2005, 12:24 PM
Yes, there are advantages to the Diamond Drive set-up over a chain-case, but reliability is certainly not one of them.

Even with a slack chain it's shouldn't break without a warning. Normally you would get ratcheting, then broken teeth on the upper gear, before the chain would snap. And it's really hard not to notice a ratcheting chain.

MIKES T CAT
01-31-2005, 01:11 PM
SWRules make sure the shoulder on the bottom sprocket is on the inside!! also roll track where chain is tight on the spring side not the adjuster nut and that should work been there done that

maineman7
01-31-2005, 09:02 PM
Just broke my chain yesterday on my 2000zl 500 with only 2500 miles on it. Just snapped, no warning. Tension correct, plenty of new chain case oil. Going to the shop tomorrow. First break down ever.

BLEEDIN GREEN
01-31-2005, 09:05 PM
Along with proper gear alignment, check to see if something else in the drivetrain is binding. Could be a problem with a bearing or a bent drive/jackshaft perhaps. I would definitely roll everything wothout the chain on and then again with the chain on to see if anything is binding and to make sure things are rolling straight.--Bleedin' :devil:

mountain cat
02-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Just got back from the dealer. Ended up not being a broken chain. The washer on the bottom sprocket was broke causing the sprocket and chain to fall off. So they replaced the chain and bottom sprocket - had some wear from being loose. My track was not quite tight enough which was probable the cause of this. I asked the mechanic about the DD system and they have had none in to repair yet.

BLEEDIN GREEN
02-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Good to hear that ya got it figured out--now get out there and ride!!--Bleedin' :devil: