Hidden Kill Switch. [Archive] - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

: Hidden Kill Switch.

Z-Rider
10-26-2005, 07:20 AM
Hey all. Two different sleds same objective: Install hidden kill switches for security. A 1996 ZRT 600 and a 2002 ZR 800. Are these sleds wired as normally open or normally closed circuits or one of each? I know that at some point in time Cat went from one way to the other and just need to know how to wire each one of them. Any advice or help would be great. We have already found a nice hidding spot now they need wired in. Should I tie into the ignition switch or someplace else also?

Thanks,
Z-Rider

sawman
10-26-2005, 07:31 AM
Why not just tie it into one of the wires on your existing kill switch? To break the circuit.

puree
10-26-2005, 09:14 AM
as far as wiring, it doesnt matter if they are normally open or closed,,,, simply put your switch in and it will work one way and not the other,,, switch may say off, but its actually on. I would hang right there with either the ignition, kill switch, or even the tether area.
You could get really creative and tie into your bright dim switch and make it serve 2 functions,,,, as the sled is off, your brights have to be on to start the sled. You would have to put in a relay so that it bypass's that circuit when the sled is running though, because if you didnt, everytime you turned your brights on, the sled would die LOL..... lots of options out there.
Good luck
Brian

trx450r
10-26-2005, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't bother....

With the NO ignition all you have to do is cut the ground wire and someone can drive off with it....

Bunch of trouble and still not any more protected than before...

I would just unplug a coil wire and leave the boots together so it looks plugged in. I used this on a buddies sled all the time!!! :lmao:

thunder1105
10-26-2005, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't bother....

With the NO ignition all you have to do is cut the ground wire and someone can drive off with it....

Bunch of trouble and still not any more protected than before...

I would just unplug a coil wire and leave the boots together so it looks plugged in. I used this on a buddies sled all the time!!! :lmao:
[/b]
yep. what trx says is true thats why i chopped mine it to the cdi power wire. its been a few years since i have done it, and don't remember what color the wire was.

84EVR
10-26-2005, 11:13 AM
I hate to say it. It may sound bad, but I think this is why I pay so friggin much for my insurance. I take the key out and call it good. Plus I'm usually parked in between a bunch of sleds. If it's stolen, I'll just go buy another.

trx450r
10-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Yep, if someone wants it bad enough they are going to strap it to there back and carry it away.

On some trips I will pull the coil wires and remove the belt, that is about all you can do....

atc250rfoxusa
10-26-2005, 02:20 PM
I second ZR8, just get good insurance and that will take some of your worries away.....

puree
10-26-2005, 03:26 PM
the above statement is really true,,,, it doesnt matter how much protection you put on it,,,, if they really want it, they are gonna get it,,,

sawman
10-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Stops the joy riders when your in having a bite.

There is nothing like having a bite,then find a sled in your group gone.

good thing to do IMO.

versatileman
10-26-2005, 08:19 PM
the above statement is really true,,,, it doesnt matter how much protection you put on it,,,, if they really want it, they are gonna get it,,,
[/b]
Oh, I am afraid that is soooo true.
A friend of friend of the family collected vettes (I'm sure he still does). He had one of his babies stored in a two car metal garage, no windows, security door with dead bolt and padlocked inside door locks on the overhead door. There was also an ADT alarm on the garage doors, and an alarm on the car. This gentleman retired to a warmer climate every winter (Florida I think) but he was sure the safety precautions he put in place would deter any theives, plus the neighbors were not far (within sight) from the garage. This was in a rural sub-division.
He was notified on a cold January day that someone had removed several strips of aluminum siding from the garage, got inside, disabled the alarm on the car and since the overhead door and entrance doors were wired w/ADT they decided that it was easier to remove the screws holding a part of front wall up and just drive the car out. The cops said that the theives probably worked dilligently at it for several days.
There was a rumor that there was a note left behind that something to the effect of" next time, just leave the keys".
Not sure if the note was true or not, but the old addage of 'if they want it bad enough, they will get it' is very true.

NDMtnSledder
10-26-2005, 11:43 PM
I guess my feeling always is if my sled is harder to steal then the next one down the line sorry for that guy but my sled will probably still be there. Kinda like swimming with sharks just gotta be able to swim faster then the next guy. Extra security always makes yours a lil harder to get and in the kinda theft situations sleders face its all about speed for the theif. They want the one that they can get and be gone with in the least amount of time and effort so as not to draw attention to themselves.

The 02 I know is on a closed circuit as soon as there is a break in it will start thus thats why if you pull wires off the back of the ignition you will be able to start it. If you followed the ignition wires usually a purple and black back and put a second wire inplace with a switch hooked between the two before the key switch. The sled would run when the extra switch is considered off(and everythign else would work correctly) and not when the extra switch is considered on.

I'm pretty positive the 96 is on the opposite system (easy way to check is see if you pull the wires off the ignition if it starts or not.) If it is the opposite you would wire a switch into either wire going in or out of the ignition switch somwere and when the extra switch is considered off the sled won't run and when it is considered on it will. Hope this helps some . Its late and i'm tired so if I said this wrong please someone correct me.

84EVR
10-27-2005, 06:32 AM
Yep, locks, alarms, etc. Just keep the honest honest.
That's about it.

bat on a cat
10-27-2005, 06:54 AM
I think most sleds that are stolen, dont drive away anyway.thier thrown in the back of a truck.Gone in 10 seconds. I think the best thing you can do is chain your sled to your buddies. OR always ride with guys who have a nicer sled than yours :D

puree
10-27-2005, 04:07 PM
a good heavy duty chain is always a good idea,,,, but then again, if they really want it, that chain wont stop them.

01MachZ
10-28-2005, 07:39 PM
I think most sleds that are stolen, dont drive away anyway.thier thrown in the back of a truck.Gone in 10 seconds. I think the best thing you can do is chain your sled to your buddies. OR always ride with guys who have a nicer sled than yours :D
[/b]

:lmao: always ride with guys who have a nicer sled than yours :lmao:

FreezerBurnt
10-29-2005, 02:35 AM
I got the solution this is what I done with my ZR

look below :lmao:

Z-Rider
10-29-2005, 09:11 AM
That was my next option FreezerBurnt!!!

MUSKOKA800
10-31-2005, 11:28 AM
I got the solution this is what I done with my ZR