How To Measure Track For Studs.? [Archive] - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

: How To Measure Track For Studs.?

ZIPPARS02mxz800sp
11-20-2005, 05:08 PM
I HAVE 2 QUESTIONS. HOW DO YOU MEASURE FOR STUDS.???

1.DO YOU MEASURE JUST THE LUG HIGHT WHICH FOR ME IS 1INCH.

2.OR DO YOU MEASURE COMPLETE TRACK FROM BOTTOM OF TRACK TO TOP OF LUG.

ALSO I HAVE AN 02MXZ800SPORT WITH PRECISION SKI,S SHOULD I JUST STUD MIDDLE OF TRACK WITH 144 STUDS.? AND WHAT SIZE CARBIDES SHOULD I RUN AND WHAT MAKE SHOULD I USE.

Yamahammer
11-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Find how long your track is, and in your case, if your sled is stock, is 121"

Lug height is measured from base of track to top of lug. See picture

As for your presision skis, id say sell em, I dont like them because they make THE most annoying marks in the trail for other people darting all over the place and there have been so many reports of hydroplaning, but in snow when there is powder on the trails and that could be bad as you might lose all your traction with the compact snow on the trail and wipe out. Get some aftermarket ones like the USI or C&A ultra pro skis, just like the racer revs. For that, id reccomend the Studboy shaper bars or woodys doolys.

For studs, if you plan on runing 144 in the middle, it will most likely have to be a custom template as I know there is many templates for 144 with some studs on the outside. Go with woodys, or studboy but I reccomend woodys as they have put up with my abuse with little to no wear.

This link will help you out alot and since you live in canada, you can order parts from them.

http://www.royaldistributing.com/servlet/M...r&page=269.html (http://www.royaldistributing.com/servlet/MiddleRedirect?cat=winter&page=269.html)

ZIPPARS02mxz800sp
11-21-2005, 02:21 PM
are FAST TRAC STUDS ANY GOOD.?

puree
11-22-2005, 01:12 AM
fast trac studs arent bad at all,,, I prefer woodys myself because of the luck I have had with them. They say you get what you pay for,,, I have always gotten mine as factory seconds (little too long or short) and have had GREAT luck with them at a HUGE savings.
If you can get a good deal on the fast tracs, dont be afraid to use them.

ZR Sled Head
11-22-2005, 07:26 AM
If you use Woody's 192 pattern but LEAVE OUT the studs from the outter belts you end up with 144 down the center. Not studding the outter belts improves cornering and cuts down on stud pull outs.
When it comes to which studs to use, IMHO there is no substitute for Woody's studs combined with their own large round backers. With their system the stud bottoms out on the backer which prevents over tightening / overstressing your track.

MUSKOKA800
11-22-2005, 11:40 AM
http://www.wiem.com/

Lot's of good info on Woody's website including application charts for most models.

84EVR
11-22-2005, 11:54 AM
If you use Woody's 192 pattern but LEAVE OUT the studs from the outter belts you end up with 144 down the center. Not studding the outter belts improves cornering and cuts down on stud pull outs.
When it comes to which studs to use, IMHO there is no substitute for Woody's studs combined with their own large round backers. With their system the stud bottoms out on the backer which prevents over tightening / overstressing your track.
[/b]

If I may Rick,

"Not studding the outter belts improves cornering and cuts down on stud pull outs."

Shall we say allows you to slide a little more in the corners. This may be an improvment to some, but not to others. It does cut down on pull outs except, your putting that much more torque on that many fewer studs.

I run 168. It's a 192 pattern with everyother third out on the outside belts.

I run Extreme studs with aluminum backers. So do 95% of my friends. For the price you can't beat them. Roughly 1.10 a stud with backers. Stainless steel, 2 year bend or break warrenty.
For a deal on them call Kelly, at Trailtamer.com

Just my .02

ZIPPARS02mxz800sp
11-22-2005, 07:07 PM
i picked up 150 studs made by fast track on ebay for 1.15 each with aluminum backers round and nuts. so i will see if there any good.

ALSO THERE IS SOME REALLY GOOD DEALS ON STUDS AND TRACKS ON EBAY IF ANY BODY IS LOOKING.

AND ALWAYS CHECK SHIPPING BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING ON EBAY. AND ONLY USE USPS NO DUTY AND CUSTOMS FEE,S LIKE WHEN YOU USE UPS .

polaris9500
11-22-2005, 09:48 PM
measure thicness of track belt and lug.subtract that from overall lenght of stud. u want 3/8 over lug. woodys are good but u cant beat the price of extreme max studs and good quality too. i run 168 in my fusion. 120 in the middle 48 on the outside.

ZIPPARS02mxz800sp
11-23-2005, 08:54 PM
well i recieved my studs today. from my ebay purchase when i emailed the seller they told me the studs were made by FAST TRAC so i open the package up tonight and they are II STROKE PILOT STUDS. now i,m just wondering if anybody else is using these studs are they any good.????

MXZ4ME
11-23-2005, 09:50 PM
I have actually heard of these II stroke jet pilot studs. I have a freind who has them and he has had no trouble with them. Let us know what luck you have.