340 Enticer Starts In Reverse [Archive] - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

: 340 Enticer Starts In Reverse

SNOREV440
02-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Can anyone on here tell me why this thing is starting in clockwise rotation, it starts and runs good ,its just rotating wrong way. This is a motor that was purchased used and slapped in...thanks for the help

whanker57
02-27-2006, 11:42 PM
So basically you are saying that the primary sheave, the one on the motor, is rotating clockwise?

First off...there isn't something stupid wrong is there? For some stupid reason is the engine supposed to run that way? I can't imagine that it would, but I dunno, this is kinda weird...

Now, how is the motor started? Do you pull start it, or electric?

Either way, I suppose its possible that the motor timing is so far off that the spark is occuring BEFORE the piston reaches Top Dead Center, causing combustion forcing the piston the OPPOSITE way, and basically running the motor backwards, much like the reverse system used by manufacturers today...

When you pull/electric start, does the engine turn over (when pulling) and then the pull cord jerk when the engine fires? I am just pulling at straws here, as I have never heard of this occuring...

I personally would check out the timing, but before you do, figure out what if that is the right engine...
I wouldn't expect it to run very smooth if it is running backwards with bad timing, but I suppose anything is possible.

I hope this information helps, but if someone has a better idea, lets hear it...
~Pat

SNOREV440
02-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Hey PAT, ya its the right motor and everything, when I pull start it practically takes the handle out of your hands and starts backwards. The primary rotates counter clockwise when you pull start it wich is normal, but when it fires it goes the opposite way and runs like that.
I'm thinking its got to be the timing, will open it up and check the stator plate for position, might be totally opposite of where it should be.......thanks for the feedback :slick:

So basically you are saying that the primary sheave, the one on the motor, is rotating clockwise?

First off...there isn't something stupid wrong is there? For some stupid reason is the engine supposed to run that way? I can't imagine that it would, but I dunno, this is kinda weird...

Now, how is the motor started? Do you pull start it, or electric?

Either way, I suppose its possible that the motor timing is so far off that the spark is occuring BEFORE the piston reaches Top Dead Center, causing combustion forcing the piston the OPPOSITE way, and basically running the motor backwards, much like the reverse system used by manufacturers today...

When you pull/electric start, does the engine turn over (when pulling) and then the pull cord jerk when the engine fires? I am just pulling at straws here, as I have never heard of this occuring...

I personally would check out the timing, but before you do, figure out what if that is the right engine...
I wouldn't expect it to run very smooth if it is running backwards with bad timing, but I suppose anything is possible.

I hope this information helps, but if someone has a better idea, lets hear it...
~Pat
[/b]

sl1pl1kespac3
02-28-2006, 09:33 AM
well your some what right. it is your timing causeing this. when you retard your timing detonation occurs after the piston reaches tdc. check your shear key and make sure everything is in order. replacem it. if nothing happens advance your timing a few degrees.

by the way, this usually happens when your motor is rebuilt. happens all the time on blasters. nothing major to worry about

NewfieBullet
02-28-2006, 09:34 AM
My guess is you put the starter cup on backwards/upsidedown. It'll run in whatever direction you start it, and if you were pulling it counterclockwise, there is no way it could run clockwise.

sl1pl1kespac3
02-28-2006, 09:35 AM
also by the way check to see if your stator holes to bolt it up are longated. this may also be causeing your timing to retard

Thumbdoctor
02-28-2006, 12:31 PM
I'd guess the flywheel key has sheered.

SNOREV440
03-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Well the flyweel key is ok, and I turned the stator all the way opposite and it still starts backwards but runs terrible......could it be the cdi box ? I think the motor is from a 1980 340 and the snowmobile I put it in is a 1983 340 and I'm using that cdi from the 1983.

sl1pl1kespac3
03-05-2006, 11:15 AM
ive got a cdi for an enticer. pm me if interested.

heres all about your sled running in reverse. its about a quad but it still should tell you about why its running in reverse.

what happens is, instead of the plug firing and allowing the piston to get a few degrees before tdc, it fires either too late or too early, thus having the intake charge fire at the way wrong time and when it fires over, it actually stops forward rotation of the crankshaft and everything starts going in reverse...this is an instantaneous thing as soon as the kicker gear releases from the primary kicker gear...an internal cumbustion engine doesnt care which way it rotates, it will run in either direction. trust me, it CAN happen. someone on thus forum had it happen, they rebuilt and it ran in reverse. if it wasnt possible, why would i have spent the time making this thread. i'm not here to blow smoke up your ##### guys. and, being a mechanic my whole life, when you actually think about timing and everything, it is very very possible, extremely rare, but possible.

puree
03-06-2006, 01:35 AM
Youve got the motor in backwards :lmao:

Sorry, had to do it.

I would definetly check the cogs inside your recoil and make sure they are in correctly,,, make sure your windings are also correct,,, this would cause the motor to spin backwards by simply pulling it,,,,

I would think that if you started to pull it and it was going the right direction, but the timing caused it to basically stop and start running the opposite direction, it would absolutely tear the cord out of your hand.
I would also think that if your cogs are in correctly, then it did start spinning backwards it would rip the cogs right out of your recoil. I would bet a simple recoil reconditioning would take care of your problem.

sl1pl1kespac3
03-07-2006, 09:31 AM
im telling you its the timing........

NewfieBullet
03-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Well it's REAL easy to check, you don't even need to take anything apart. Try starting it on the clutch. If it kicks back and runs backwards then, it's the timing. If it runs ok, it's your recoil cup.

abc
03-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Oh I coulnd resist pushing this one...

From witch side of the engine are you to tell it turns backward? Hehe in front of the recoil it normally spin clockwise and seen from the clutch side it normally spin counterclockwise....