2002 Polaris Xc 800 [Archive] - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

: 2002 Polaris Xc 800

Jeff90
10-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Just purchased, 2000 miles, want a little information please, defects, top speed, problems, fuel milage etc. thanks alot

timespentsearching
10-17-2006, 09:40 PM
133hp, top speed depends on gearing and clutching, dry weight 498 pounds, ryde fx front and front rear suspension shocks, fox position sensitive rear rear shock, very good engine, reliable, fuel milage around 9 to 10 mpg i hear, what else do you want to know

Pol900
10-18-2006, 05:49 AM
keep an eye on the power valves.

michahicks
10-18-2006, 10:17 AM
133 might be just a little optimistic, hard to get an XCR to go that fast, and they have 20hp over the XC......

I would agree with the power valves. You'll want to make sure they've been changed out to the stainless upgrade to prevent potential warping/breakage. Breakage can result in a grenaded motor - but honestly doesn't happen that often in the grand scheme of things.

Keeping them clean is part of normal maintenance with a VES 800. If the valve gets too much crud on it, it can't open, or gets sticky causing loss of RPM. If left in this condition, it can result in the valve melting, potentially causing damage to the motor.

Valves not that hard to stay on top of. The performance of this motor is worth the trouble....

Left front motor mounts are usually an issue when ridden by anyone riding even semi agressive. SLP make a torque arm (less than 100.) a lot of guys are using to eliminate that problem.

Betting, even with the issues you may run in to, you're going to love it.

timespentsearching
10-18-2006, 11:28 AM
133 might be just a little optimistic, hard to get an XCR to go that fast, and they have 20hp over the XC......

I would agree with the power valves. You'll want to make sure they've been changed out to the stainless upgrade to prevent potential warping/breakage. Breakage can result in a grenaded motor - but honestly doesn't happen that often in the grand scheme of things.

Keeping them clean is part of normal maintenance with a VES 800. If the valve gets too much crud on it, it can't open, or gets sticky causing loss of RPM. If left in this condition, it can result in the valve melting, potentially causing damage to the motor.

Valves not that hard to stay on top of. The performance of this motor is worth the trouble....

Left front motor mounts are usually an issue when ridden by anyone riding even semi agressive. SLP make a torque arm (less than 100.) a lot of guys are using to eliminate that problem.

Betting, even with the issues you may run in to, you're going to love it.
[/b]
i didnt say 133 mph i said 133 HP, horse power stock they are 100 to 110 mph. great sled youll have fun

hitman13
10-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Awsome sled!!!! Polaris`s version of the Dodge 440 motor{stump puller}
A bud of mine had an 01{no valves} and that thing haulled.
I rode it alot and compared to my 600 {lol} in was more than night and day.
If the mill in mine ever granades ,I`ll be stuffing an 800 mill in mine.

michahicks
10-18-2006, 01:02 PM
<<<< i didnt say 133 mph i said 133 HP>>>>

timespent - sorry. Can&#39;t read today. My bad.

timespentsearching
10-18-2006, 05:05 PM
<<<< i didnt say 133 mph i said 133 HP>>>>

timespent - sorry. Can&#39;t read today. My bad.
[/b]
ya i know how that is. a lot of days i can even spell the write much less read things right

NewfieBullet
10-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Definitely watch the motor mounts. They don&#39;t last long. Also keep an eye on the crank. There&#39;s a heavy duty crank available for it with a double wide bearing on the PTO end. Not sure how much difference it makes as I just installed one in my 800 and haven&#39;t run it yet.
Polaris rates the motor at 140hp. As for top speed...of course that depends on conditions, but it&#39;s plenty fast enough.
I have the SKS and not the XC, but there&#39;s lots to love about either. You&#39;ll love the grunt the motor has. Awesome machines.

Jeff90
10-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Ok, thanks alot for the tips, are the valves really as bad as i hear? could i go the winter without switching them, i shouldnt be to hard on it as i upgraded from a 440 to an 800, will take some time lol, does anyone know roughly the top speed? its also been sitting for 2 years so any tips on cleaning it out? thanks alot

michahicks
10-19-2006, 09:15 PM
If you start out with clean valves, you can get an idea of what YOUR sled should turn at wide open throttle (likely somewhere 78-8100). When you punch it and it won&#39;t turn that RPM (like maybe only 74-7600), it&#39;s time to clean them again - soon.

As mentioned earlier, no, the valves aren&#39;t that bad. Keeping them clean is a cheap price to pay for the kind of power you&#39;ll have on tap.

The alum. valves are an excuse for a blown motor waiting to happen. For what it costs to upgrade to stainless (a little more than the price of a piston?), it&#39;s not worth it. Probably a good idea to find out about the bellows too. The originals would let go on occasion, spewing black oily crap all over under the hood.

I agree on the time to get used to the 800. Took me 3 tries to get to the far end of an airstrip to hold it open all the way. Just doesn&#39;t seem right for something to pull that hard and to be going that fast....

When you get used to that.......well..... that&#39;s why God invented tripples......

Jeff90
10-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Ok i noticed after running a bit there was thick black oil on the ground, coming from the exhaust would that be the power valves?

michahicks
10-23-2006, 03:11 PM
>>>>Ok i noticed after running a bit there was thick black oil on the ground, coming from the exhaust would that be the power valves?<<<<

Nope, that&#39;s likely crud that&#39;s building up in your exhaust system - caused by starting/running without really coming up to full temp. Suggest not starting frequently unless you intend to actually get out and ride it.

The crud I was talking about will be most noticable under the hood. No mistaking it.

Jeff90
10-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks alot for the help, i also noticed when i compressed the rear suspension, it doesnt rebound hard? there is also a "boost bottle" ontop of both carbs like a plastic thing not sure what it does

edge800
10-24-2006, 09:15 PM
The boost bottle is supposed to make the machine run smoother at low rpm. From what I&#39;ve heard it&#39;s more throuble than it&#39;s worth,broken bottles, torn carb. boots. Any one of those things on the trail spells bad news. Try the slp single pipe with all the mods they recommend and you will not be sorry. Also without question go with the stainless power valves as previously mentioned. John

timespentsearching
10-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks alot for the help, i also noticed when i compressed the rear suspension, it doesnt rebound hard? there is also a "boost bottle" ontop of both carbs like a plastic thing not sure what it does
[/b]
about the suspension, the rear rear shock might need to be rebuilt and the return springs might be shot. you can drop the rear suspension and see what the problem is then either go get the shock rebuilt or buy new return springs, or both