Piped 1990 Phazer Questions [Archive] - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

: Piped 1990 Phazer Questions

tmaski45
01-22-2007, 04:23 PM
last year i put a dg aftermarket pipe on my 1990 phazer 2. it made the snowmobile alot faster and i love it. but the only problem is that i blew it up. i dont remember the size jets i put in it i just know that they were one size bigger than stock just wondering if thats the right size and maybe i just over reved it or if i need to go one size bigger. btw i know quite a bit about sleds so dont be afraid to use some crazy big words.

8vo fan
01-22-2007, 06:58 PM
After doing a mod like that you need to keep a close eye on your plugs for a while. At least until you're sure the jetting is right. The engine failure could be from a lot of different things. If you went up one size in jetting it probably wasn't because of the pipe.

bripaintball
01-22-2007, 09:21 PM
i doubt it made it faster...no pipe makes a sled faster just louder and maybe less weight...The amount of power you get from it is like 1-2 horse power you wouldnt even notice it if you wernt told it was piped...

sschnepp
01-23-2007, 05:57 AM
last year i put a dg aftermarket pipe on my 1990 phazer 2. it made the snowmobile alot faster and i love it. but the only problem is that i blew it up. i dont remember the size jets i put in it i just know that they were one size bigger than stock just wondering if thats the right size and maybe i just over reved it or if i need to go one size bigger. btw i know quite a bit about sleds so dont be afraid to use some crazy big words.[/b]

Yamaha jets go up in 2.5 increments, you should go up 2 sizes when you pipe it.

trx450r
01-23-2007, 11:24 AM
i doubt it made it faster...no pipe makes a sled faster just louder and maybe less weight...The amount of power you get from it is like 1-2 horse power you wouldnt even notice it if you wernt told it was piped...[/b]

Um....so like the 15 hp (~25% increase) won't be noticable??!?!?! Right... :rolleyes:

The phazers seem to have a problem with a midrange lean spot which unfortuanelty due to the carb choice on these sleds isn't easily solved.

These things can go like crazy with a pipe but you have to be aware of where your at in the jetting and throttle settings. Ride to long in the midrange lean area and your egt's are going to spike.

TaxiCat
01-23-2007, 12:55 PM
I think he misconstrued a Pipe with a Can-
A Pipe will make HP and a Can will just make noise.

bripaintball
01-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Um....so like the 15 hp (~25% increase) won't be noticable??!?!?! Right... :rolleyes:

The phazers seem to have a problem with a midrange lean spot which unfortuanelty due to the carb choice on these sleds isn't easily solved.

These things can go like crazy with a pipe but you have to be aware of where your at in the jetting and throttle settings. Ride to long in the midrange lean area and your egt's are going to spike.[/b]

maybe you should get it dynoed then ill listen to you...like i said their isnt much of a gain imight be a little low but the most i have ever herd of is 7 hp...which is nothing when you have a 120 hp sled...wouldnt notice it... a clutch kit would be a much better choice for the money.

sledman92
01-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Actualy paint ball I put a AAEN pipe on my Phazer and it made a huge difference..On a Phazer you can add a AAEN pipe, Reeds and a cold air in take and the HP will go from 57 up to 78 Hp..It has been tested on the Dynos I don't remember what snowmobile magazine had that articile. My Phazer would top out at 84 mph with the pipe I see 93 MPH on the speedo of course..Not bad for a 1992 longtrack, with 8,000 miles on it and a 230 pound guy driving...

tmaski45
01-23-2007, 08:57 PM
i ended up going to my local shop and asking and he said to go with 155 jets so im going to try that so hopfully he is right and no more problems. btw i dont care what anyone says putting a aftermarket pipe on it made the max speed go from roughly 90mph to over 100mph top speed (not on a dyno or anything just from riding and watching the speedo) and it made it sound better to

Dave600
01-23-2007, 10:55 PM
i ended up going to my local shop and asking and he said to go with 155 jets so im going to try that so hopfully he is right and no more problems. btw i dont care what anyone says putting a aftermarket pipe on it made the max speed go from roughly 90mph to over 100mph top speed (not on a dyno or anything just from riding and watching the speedo) and it made it sound better to[/b]

I think your spedo is off. Probably by at least 10 mph.

trx450r
01-24-2007, 08:31 AM
maybe you should get it dynoed then ill listen to you...like i said their isnt much of a gain imight be a little low but the most i have ever herd of is 7 hp...which is nothing when you have a 120 hp sled...wouldnt notice it... a clutch kit would be a much better choice for the money.[/b]

Well...at least you have your facts straight...

I sure would like to see some of those 120 hp stock phazers that only get 7 hp with a pipe addition. :christmas:

Dude, we are talking about the 488cc fanner here...well documented that a single pipe of just about any brand will be worth at the very least 10hp, more commonly ~15hp (the prior mentioned 25%).

Look around on the net...you can find numerous dyno's to back up my statements.

8vo fan
01-24-2007, 05:02 PM
DYNOTECH did a pipe shootout, you can down load it off the internet.
stock pipe-63hp-43.9tq
PSI single-78.1hp-56.5tq
PSI twin-78.5hp--55.2tq
Aaen single-79.8hp-58.5tq
Aaen quiet can-81hp-57.5tq
Aaen qc w/38mm mikunis-81.5hp-58.6tq
Aaen qc w/38s and boyeson reeds-83.7hp-60.2tq
PSI recommends
100 pilot jet
147.5 main jet
8vo clutch weights
y/o primary spring
47* helix with y/b spring at B1 60*

If you can find that y/o primary spring let me know, I can't seam to find one anywhere.
Clutching doesn't gain hp, it puts the rpms of the engine where the hp is.
Don't let anybody talk you out of a phazer. There is nothing out there that is as light and as fast as a Phazer. Sure there is faster, sure there is better looking sleds. I would rather have my phazer than any sled made.

akrievins
01-24-2007, 08:04 PM
I didn't get mine piped, but any and all magazines will say that a pipe "wakes up this engine" I think it gets one of the highest horsepower boosts out of any of the sleds out there. The Phazer was destroying sleds on the circut when it was piped.

davida
01-27-2007, 07:05 AM
last year i put a dg aftermarket pipe on my 1990 phazer 2. it made the snowmobile alot faster and i love it. but the only problem is that i blew it up. i dont remember the size jets i put in it i just know that they were one size bigger than stock just wondering if thats the right size and maybe i just over reved it or if i need to go one size bigger. btw i know quite a bit about sleds so dont be afraid to use some crazy big words.[/b]
you should richen your oil pump

tmaski45
01-27-2007, 08:27 PM
you should richen your oil pump[/b]
i like that good point

AL vmax4
01-28-2007, 08:58 PM
I disagree with the "riching" up the oil pump plan, that will actualy make the mix leaner...

one thing ya got to keep in mind as far as jetting today, is unlike back in 1990, when they jetted this thing at the factory, todays gas is NOT the same. i see your in michigan, and so am I, ALL our gas, is E10, thats 10% ethynol 90% gas..ethynol, is not only an octane additive, but an oxygenate..and, unlike the old MTBE which has been banned, ethynol is a oxygenate, at the rate of 3% vs the old oxygenated gas, which was around 1.7%-2%,
if you look through your manual, you may find, where it says to jet two sizes bigger, when running an oxygenated fuel (as stated above, that would be 2.5 each size) your sled, was almost garanteed sent from the factory for use with non oxygenated gas, so..
even if you did nothing to your sled, you should jet aprox two sizes larger to be safe(not saying, guys are`nt running stock jetting, and not having problems, I`m sure many are, just mentioning this..), now take into consideration piping it, you may be looking at 3 to 4 sizes from the stock jetting....(better to start out fat, and work your way down, then to start out with a melted piston, and work your way up)

I would suggest, that reguardless of what a shop told you to jet to, you take regular plug reads, and dont wait to do it, first do a short WOT run, then read the plugs, and so on..also, keep an eye on the temps when you read the plugs, if you get a perfect plug read at say, 25F+, and you go out, and make a long distance WOT run when its 5F, you may be in trouble..

tmaski45
01-29-2007, 08:02 PM
nice suggestions you seem very nowledgeable but, i know have a new problem maybe you can help me with after i got it all back together with the 155 jets it acted like it was to rich by to rich i mean its boging down at about 50 mph witch is where i figure the main jets would be kicking in so i put the 145 jets back in to make sure being to rich was the problem and it will still only do around 55 mph and it feels like its boging down, pretty much has me and my dad puzzled just kind of a side note other than that its fine it idles and goes like no other up to 50-55 oh and we cleaned both carbs out meticulously and both spark plugs are getting good spark im thinking maybe somthing to do with the electrical system because i know it has some weird switch in the throttle area i dunno what it does or really anything about it maybe somone could enlighten me?

AL vmax4
01-29-2007, 09:52 PM
humm? do the rpms suddenly drop when you get to that speed? I see it seams to run real good, then you say it bogs, so, clutch problem?
usually..on most carbs, (slide hieght)
0-1/4-1/8 throttle----pilot jet/idle screw
1/4-3/4 throttle---needle clips
3/4-full throttle---main jet

are you pegging the flipper, then running it till it bogs, and that happens to be around 55mph? or are you slowly climbing to that speed?

if you can safely...run it for a short ways at that point when it seams to be boging, then hit the kill switch right quick, and pull the plugs, then see if thier real black, or real light tan or white? that should tell ya wether its running rich, lean ect..
to be more picky about the plug read, check out this link..but generaly speaking, as I`m sure you know, a black sooty plug, would be rich, and a white real clean looking plug, may indicate lean.
be carefull about running it too long at that speed where it seams to be bogging, if that is being caused from running lean, you may end up damaging a piston..so just ease into it, and run it for a short period of time, then check the plugs..
how to read plugs.. (http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/how-to-read-plugs.html)

tmaski45
01-30-2007, 07:55 PM
no drop in rpms. ive pretty much ruled out the clutches everything there works fine even though i do realize everything im saying sounds like its the clutches that is the problem but ive checked them and there not the problem im down to the point of taking the jugs back off and making sure everything is right there and possibly removing the switch in the throttle because ive found out that its supposed to cut the motor in case the throttle sticks (maybe ill get lucky with that one)anyways the switch is kinda dumb if you ask me yeah as far as spark plugs go they both look good maybe a little black right know because i got the 145 jets back in and it blew up on them before but it also ran fine with them jets until i got into top end so i dunno

just curious where in mi do you live, i live in bay city

AL vmax4
02-09-2007, 06:14 PM
sorry, had`nt noticed their was a new post in this thread..
anyway, I live in the flint area.

I take it the switch your talking about is the "tors"? (throttle over ride system)
not sure on your sled, but on mine, if it kicks on, it will make the motor drop down in rpms, to below the engagment rpm..
I think what ya gotta do to by pass it, is connet to the two wires together, after you unplug them.
what it is, is the throttle cable free play, have to be just right, or the tors will kick on..or, a sticking carb of course..

AL

sschnepp
02-10-2007, 06:31 AM
no drop in rpms. ive pretty much ruled out the clutches everything there works fine even though i do realize everything im saying sounds like its the clutches that is the problem but ive checked them and there not the problem im down to the point of taking the jugs back off and making sure everything is right there and possibly removing the switch in the throttle because ive found out that its supposed to cut the motor in case the throttle sticks (maybe ill get lucky with that one)anyways the switch is kinda dumb if you ask me yeah as far as spark plugs go they both look good maybe a little black right know because i got the 145 jets back in and it blew up on them before but it also ran fine with them jets until i got into top end so i dunno

just curious where in mi do you live, i live in bay city[/b]

That so sounds like my sled. I have a piped 91, it will get to 50 fast.
Doesn't seem like it would be so complicated, its just fuel, air and spark. :blahblah:

Yamaha-ha-ha
02-10-2007, 06:46 AM
My 91 gets to 50 fast too, but it's not piped. I had the GPS with me the other day, and it would go 83.2 mph. That was with last years belt on, I'm getting a new belt today, so I'll see what it'll do then. It'd be great to get more power, but I don't want to lose the reliability. I'd still look at the clutches, they may seem good, but take them apart and see if you need to replace some things in there.

76rogers
02-14-2007, 09:46 AM
any new info on this problem?

i had a very similar thing happen to mine. found out it was the air box.
i had removed the air box on one sled, thinking it was probably in the way :lookaround: and started having the problem. tried the same on my other sled, and exact same problem.
but mine are ventures.? and they both have air boxes now :whistling:

Bigmac
02-14-2007, 02:26 PM
The next time it starts to bog at 50mph , flip your choke up and see if that helps . Bypass that Tors system to .. take the wires and hook them together . Did you have the carbs apart ? Like all apart ... if not thats what you have to do . Bypass the tors first . mine was doing the same thing, after I bypassed it , it was like a new sled . Good luck .

tmaski45
04-15-2007, 09:16 PM
in case anyone ever looks at this i pretty much gave up on this sled for this year anyways because i got a 04 rx warrior which i love so later on ill be taking the clutches off and checking every little detail and i did hook the tors wires together with no help but b4 that i thought it might have been the switch in the throttle and its not it im really clueless but procrastination seems to be the answer on this one ty to all who helped