Arctic Cat Starter.... [Archive] - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

: Arctic Cat Starter....

73Lifeliner
07-12-2007, 09:55 AM
I cannot believe that a company like Arctic Cat would build a machine and have such a stupid starter. When the motor is warm and I start it, the starter will kick out once there is any kind of release in tension on the flex shaft. Not a big issue but it forces you to "bump" start the unit until is catches.
I talked with the dealer and he says that is just the way an Arcti Cat is and replacing the starter would not accomplish anything.
Can this be true and is anyone else having this problem? If so, what can one do about it?
Thanks
Richard

94ZR580
07-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Pull start it. A warm engine should start with an easy tug on the rope. Bumping the electric starter will only put additonal wear and tear on the system, which is unecessary.

73Lifeliner
07-12-2007, 01:37 PM
I understand that but, I did pay extra for an electric start machine and it really should work as it should. Other than the starter issue my Z570LX is a very nice machine.
Thanks
Richard

FreezerBurnt
07-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Cat just likes to be diferent

Sometime its good to be diferent other times not

btw sounds like a common problem with the Cat Flex drive starts

skegger
07-12-2007, 10:54 PM
I never had that problem on my King Cat, I had the shaft snap, have to replace it now though seeing as shes for sale

94ZR580
07-13-2007, 11:47 AM
I understand that but, I did pay extra for an electric start machine and it really should work as it should. Other than the starter issue my Z570LX is a very nice machine.
Thanks
Richard[/b]

I was expecting to hear that arguement. This starter system works the way it does. If you really want it to work the way you want it to, or think it should, then you will most likely have to buy a different sled, with a different electric starter system design. Cat may have developed this design because it might be more universal, or easily adapted to different engine and chassis combos, which means lower cost. It may also allow the starter motor to be placed for better weight distribution. Whatever the reasons, I doubt you will ever be able to get the system to perform any differntly than it does, for any extended period of time. Electric start seems to more trouble than it is worth in most cases, except four stoke engines. Don't expect your starter to be anything other than what it is.

FreezerBurnt
07-13-2007, 09:00 PM
I never had that problem on my King Cat, I had the shaft snap, have to replace it now though seeing as shes for sale[/b]

You got ELECTRIC START on your King Cat?

73Lifeliner
07-16-2007, 09:51 AM
I am keeping this in mind as I search for a second sled for the upcoming season. I just love the bright orange color of the Arctic Cat and will just have to live with this problem.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Richard

94ZR580
07-16-2007, 12:36 PM
I am keeping this in mind as I search for a second sled for the upcoming season. I just love the bright orange color of the Arctic Cat and will just have to live with this problem.

Richard[/b]

Well, Y'know if it is not the electric start it will be something else. They're all good, and they're all bad. Just keep brining more sleds to Florida!

puree
08-02-2007, 01:03 PM
I have electric start on two of my cats and have had no problem at all out of them,,,

idooski
08-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Pull start it. A warm engine should start with an easy tug on the rope. Bumping the electric starter will only put additonal wear and tear on the system, which is unecessary.[/b]

I don't think you would feel that way if you had paid for an electric start that doesn't work right. There are also many folks that buy electric start just so they can more comfortably ride for a few more years due to injurys, etc. You either put the extra wear on the e-start system or the recoil. Doesn't seem like a good argument for not using e-start. I have had no issues with the e-start on my sleds yet and I really appreciate it on those really cold mornings.

dooman
08-02-2007, 03:22 PM

Richard[/b]
seen orange doo's before :) . idooskis avatar showing his.

94ZR580
08-02-2007, 06:52 PM
I don't think you would feel that way if you had paid for an electric start that doesn't work right. There are also many folks that buy electric start just so they can more comfortably ride for a few more years due to injurys, etc. You either put the extra wear on the e-start system or the recoil. Doesn't seem like a good argument for not using e-start. I have had no issues with the e-start on my sleds yet and I really appreciate it on those really cold mornings.[/b]

I would feel the same, but you missed my point. The Cat system uses a flex cable drive between the started motor and gear, so there is more opportunity for binding in the system. I think that if it is not engaging and disengaging smoothly and completely, then bumping it is not going to make better, and will likely speed up a total failure. I would be disappointed if something I paid for did not work as I expected it to, but if the system is prone to problems I would not want to put unnecessary stress on the system and not have it available when I really needed it, like on a cold, cold morning. I say the if you have an alternate system that can perform the same function, then use that until you can get the other fixed. :thumbsup:

idooski
08-02-2007, 08:37 PM
I would feel the same, but you missed my point. The Cat system uses a flex cable drive between the started motor and gear, so there is more opportunity for binding in the system. I think that if it is not engaging and disengaging smoothly and completely, then bumping it is not going to make better, and will likely speed up a total failure. I would be disappointed if something I paid for did not work as I expected it to, but if the system is prone to problems I would not want to put unnecessary stress on the system and not have it available when I really needed it, like on a cold, cold morning. I say the if you have an alternate system that can perform the same function, then use that until you can get the other fixed. :thumbsup:[/b]

Gotcha! :thumbsup:

73Lifeliner
08-24-2007, 01:55 PM
I had my machine on the beach riding it this week and even with it being 95 degrees outside and my machine is nice and warm, the starter still skips out on me. You're right, I guess I have to live with it.
Richard

PowderBoy
08-31-2007, 02:37 AM
That picture looks like half of the roads I was on this year... minus the woman in the bikini of course... :D

rws
08-31-2007, 07:39 PM
I like electric start so much I added a remote...AstroStart 701XR single button command with reliable 1500 feet of range.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/rws53/sled/CFStarterKey.jpg

73Lifeliner
09-04-2007, 09:35 AM
I like electric start so much I added a remote...AstroStart 701XR single button command with reliable 1500 feet of range.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/rws53/sled/CFStarterKey.jpg[/b]

Now that my friend, is cool! Does this only work on EFI systems because I'm not sure how one would choke a engine with carbs with a remote.

Richard

CORY9
09-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Funny I've never read anything about AC starter problems before. You would think if it's "just a Cat, get used to it" problem it would be posted all over the sled sites.