Snowmobile World banner

1979 exciter (440) not sucking gas PLEASE HELP!!!

1K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Liquidskys 
#1 ·
Hey everyone...

I have a 1979 yamaha 440 exciter.. that has always been a REALLY good running sled..

last time I rode it was about 4 years ago.. and since it sat un touched covered upnorth at the cabin..

I recently picked it up in hopes of teaching the kids to ride on the same sled I learned to (roughly 20 years ago).. but I ran into an issue..

for some reason it is not sucking ANY gas..

things ive done..

1... rebuilt the fuel pump (rebuild kit was a bit diffrent as far as marterials used.. Im guessing what I changed out was origional)..
if anyone has a diagram of this Id like to see just to make sure its together corrently..

2... replaced crank vacumme line.. (however, I am not getting a suction out of this line.. it actually is blowing air out of it??? is that correct?? ive always though it would suck in air not blow out)

3... totaly cleaned carb removed all jets and bowl and all that and cleaned well..

the sled will run like a top if I spray gas into the carb (I put some gas In a spray bottle thinking maybe I could prime the fuel pump since it was totaly dry from being rebuilt.. but no luck)..
but yea the sled runs great.. just will not suck gas at all..

any help would be AWSOME!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
well worked on her for a few hours lastnight..

I went through the carb again.. everything lookds great.. but I ordered a needle and seat for the bowl just cause thats about the only thing I havent replaced..

when I was messing around I found a small crack in the rubber that goes from the carb to the cylinders.. so maybe I was losing suction there???

we will see.. threw some gasket maker on it.. will see tonight if it helps..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.