Snowmobile World banner

87 phazer hole in piston

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  snowdad4 
#1 ·
OK SO I BLEW UP THIS SLED LAST SPRING AND YA THERE WAS ANICE HOLE THRU THE TOP OF THE PISTON BEHIND THE RINGS AND OUT THE SIDE. AT FIRST I ASSUMED I LEANED IT OUT BUT THE MAIN JETS ARE 143 WHICH I THINK IS PRETTY FAT FOR 2600' NOW SOME PEOPLE ARE TELLING ME IT COULD BE THE OIL INJECTION SYSTEM. MY FRESH ENGINE IS STARING AT ME WANTING TO BE FIRED UP BUT I'M SCARED. wHAT SHOULD I DO?

#2 ·
no oil wouldnt cause a hole in the piston, but rather a heat seize where the rings or piston attaches themselves to the cylinder walls. a hole in the top would be from incorrect timing, wrong sparks plugs, or pre-detonation from poor fuel. if your concerned about oil, premix your first tank at 50:1, and watch the level in the oil tank to make sure its using the oil, and try to compare oil usage with fuel usage to see if the ratio is correct. make sure the gas is fresh, timing is adjusted properly, and you are using the right heat range plugs(ngk br9, i think), go ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.