Snowmobile World banner

86 phazer choke/carb problems

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mdub85 
#1 ·
I recently picked up a 480 86 phazer that has not ran in about 3-5 yrs I emptied the old gas, took off both carbs and cleaned them, put on new fuel lines took off both choke cables and cleaned them. took off fuel pump it was clean and working properly. got it running and idleling for about 20 min. Took it for a ride went maybe 2 mi and it starting acting like it was starving for fuel thought maybe it was getting alot of stuff through the system since it has'nt ran for so long continued to go for a few more miles then it died and was not getting any fuel that we could see b/c we put a clear inline fuel filter between the tank and carburater. after we pulled it home we took off the carb bowls to see it they were dirty, they seemed fine then we realized that there is a fuel filter in the tank underneath the seat took it out and did not replace b/c we already added the inline fule filter, got it to start but now it won't idle or run unless you continue to play with the choke up and down. I started it again a little bit ago and realized that one carb has gas coming out of the bowl like it is getting to much fuel but both are set the same 1 1/2 turns out could the fuel filter in the tank have anything to do with it, choke cable bad, please help running out of ideas. these carbs are not easy to get to.

#2 ·
Take the carbs off and clean them again. The carb that is overflowing must have some dirt or debris on the inlet fuel needle so it is not closing off when the floats push it closed.

On the question about the fuel filter in the tank it should be okay not to use one as long as the pickup line has something on it to weigh it down so it doesn't float.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.