Snowmobile World banner

secondary clutch question

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  snowdad4 
#1 ·
ive got a 96 vmax 600 xt..im looking to do some clutch work to it..i found a clutch in great condition at a great price..the only info i have about it is that it has a green spring in it..what color would the clutch come with stock from the dealer?? does a green spring mean its modified at all for better performance?? i know nothing about clutches so any help would be great..thanks..

#2 ·
the green spring is a stiffer spring. dont expect to see an entire green colored spring, but a black spring with a green color swatch at about midpoint. yours would either be green or red. what you really need to be specific on is what year the clutch is from. anything 97 and up will not fit your sled, 95-96 will. the splining on the sheaves is different.

#3 ·
i was just looking at mine and it looks pretty crusty...hard to tell what color the spring is..looks pretty black..its hard to see..do i need to remove the cutch to really see what color spring i have?? i know the one i want to buy will fit..its exactly the same as mine..so if i do buy this cutch is there anything i could do to make it a little more aggressive??

#4 ·
you could change the helix to a more aggressive angle, change the amount of angle on the existing helix by going with a higher degree wrap, or change springs. pay attention when pulling yours apart, there are numbered holes on both the helix and sheave, this determines the degree of wrap, and you may want to duplicate it with the new one. the helix has a 0,3,6 and 9, the sheave has a 1,2 and 3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.