Snowmobile World banner

clutch alignment

14K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  snowdad4 
#1 ·
had the motor in my 93 phazer out and im wondering how i align the clutches.

#2 ·
a clutch alignment tool really simplifies this task, but you can get close without it by improvising. the center to center on the clutch shafts is 10 1/2" and the offset for the secondary is about 3/8-1/2 ". you can make a template from wood or metal and drill holes in it at 10.5", then bolt it to the clutches. this will hold the center to center. use a straight edge placed behind the primary and measure at the front and rear of the secondary to align it. align by moving the motor at the mounts. loosen the mounting bolts just enough to alow the motor to move with slight pressure. this will get you close.

#3 ·
sounds hard to get it right
how will i know if its badly off? will it wear the belt a certain way? how much drivin will until it would show? i dont wanna ruin my new belt right off the bat so should i put an old belt on just to see whats gonna happin?

#4 ·
you can usually tell from a visual inspection if its too far off. lift the rear of the sled on a safe stand or other means so the sled has no chance of taking off on its own, and rev it up while watching the belt. if its not tracking straight, alignment is off. remember, the secondary clutch does "float" side to side a little. or, if the belt is too tight or too loose, the center to center is off. take some time, you can get it close enough. sguealing, fraying, or burning of the belt will show up in a hurry if the alignment is that bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.