Snowmobile World banner

exciter brake pads

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  snowdad4 
#1 ·
Replaced the one; yes, ONE, pad that was pretty much gone with a new set of two. There wasn't a pad on the housing. Just bought sled, and I'm doing seals/bearings on chaincase.

My Problem: The pads fit, but if there is supposed be a stud or something on the one that goes on the housing, there isn't one so I have it resting in the recessed hole. Backed the adjuster out almost all the way and the pads still touch the rotor! What else can I do? Or just ride til they wear enough? They're about .5" thick overall. Please help!

#2 ·
the pad should have a backer with a pin that fits in the case. usually a goldish anadized looking thing about the size of a .50 cent piece machined with a pin and the pad has a cup on the back that fits over it. also, you may have to play with the auto adjuster once you get all the parts in place. i may have some used backers laying around if in fact your missing them.

#3 ·
Doesn't have a pin on it. Had a helluva time getting housing on and really don't want to take it off again... Have sprockets and all hardware on already too. In the manual for brake adj, it looks like it shows the pad on the housing rests against that disc and the gap for the pad clearance is achieved with the pad off of the caliper...

#4 ·
When I went to torque driven sprocket nut, the sheave spun since the brake isn't adjusted. When I looked at the pads, there is a small gap but when I squeeze the handle, it goes almost to the bars n doesn't stop. To fix this, would I back the adjusting nut for the "L" distance as described in manual?

#7 ·
pt #9 in the diagram is what i was referring to. i have actually found those laying in the belly pan after someone else took their stuff apart. if you have those in there, it should be just a matter of cable adjustment. wish i had one in front of me to walk you through it. does your sled have the auto adjuster? it would be a round gold thing on the caliper. may have came out on subsequent years.

#9 ·
I have #9, but only on the caliper. Is there one for the housing too? I think the pad on the housing just rests against the rotor. So I just need to adjust the cable on the caliper then? Or the brake handle adjustment. Not sure if it's auto-adjust or not....how would I be able to tell for sure? I'm pretty sure all early Exciter's were.

#10 ·
I'm pretty sure I have the auto adjuster as I have the lever and the threaded screw that is on the caliper which pushes against the backer plate. (pt #9)

Is there supposed to be another #9 on the case housing for the other pad? According to whatever the answer is to that, what do I need to adjust?

#12 ·
only one #9. the specs in the manual would be a reference point. some like a lighter brake feel, others heavy. i adjust it so it the pads are a little closer to the rotor than spec, so the pull on the lever grabs the brake quicker. i like a short pull, and out of habit from years of racing motorcycles ride with a finger or two on the lever at all times.the brake system on these is kinda weak anyway, takes alot of pull to whoa them up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.