Snowmobile World banner

1978 Exciter 440 bogs with airbox on

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  PEIsnow 
#1 ·
I've completly rebuilt the engine on my 1978 440 Exiter. New electrical, rebuilt carb, new fuel lines, cleaned clutches etc. It starts and idles good, but it bogs down at 40 mph. I took it all apart and rechecked the seals etc and all looks good. I took the the airbox off and noticed that it runs great, no bogging. I took the airbox apart to clean it, but nothing appeared wrong with it. I put it back on and the same problem occurs with the bogging at 40 mph. Does anyone have any ideas on why the airbox would cause this? Thank you.

#3 ·
Yep I agree. It is running rich and when the air box is removed it sucks more air and that leans it out. Then no more bogging. Do a thorough cleaning of the carb and I'm guessing something is not right. It has the butterfly Keihin carb...right? You rebuilt the carb, so maybe the float needs to be adjusted or something... wasn't put back together right. It happens. Maybe someone can help with the float setting. Go through the carb with a fine toothed comb and you will find the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.