Snowmobile World banner

6 volt no charge

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  smokelessone 
#1 ·
The question is not on a snomobile but on a yamaha enduro bike.
I have had great luck getting information from the board and wondered if someone new how it is suppose to work.

I installed a new battery, new front lamp, and taillight.
Everything seem to be great, but after running it for a few hours it was noticeable the battery wasnt charging as the lights started getting dim. Checked Battery voltage and it went from 6.12v to 4.3/

When I unplug the battery the headlight still works, and even seems brighter. When I plug the battery in when bike is idleing you see the discharge in the light.

I now its not a snomobile, but I thought maybe some charge the same as the bike.

Thanks Jason

#5 ·
thats an oldy but a goody, late 70's early 80's? finding parts may be an issue. pretty sure no battery is needed, unless it has electric start and i dont recall that being an option. if your lights work without the battery, lighting coil is probably good. if it runs good, pulse coil is good. may have a bad charge coil, or theres not one on it. a service manual would be in order to check the outputs on the coils to find the specs.

#7 ·
You should not run the bike without a battery, as many of the older bikes used the battery as a filter to smooth out the juice coming from the stator.

Many of these bikes also used inferior voltage regulators....and there is a good chance that if your wires are good and everything is grounded, that the regulator has gone south.

Some of the older bikes also didn't get the juice to DC voltage except to charge the battery and AC was okay for lights.

Go thru and clean up all the wiring first....making every connection clean...as they do corrode up. Put some dialectric grease on those fittings as you go along, Then if you don't find the issue doing that, replace the diodes...or regulator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.