Snowmobile World banner

Help with my 1985 Vmax 540 project

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  phazer485 
#1 ·
So i just got a vintage 1985 Vmax 540 for free, its in good shape for being as old as it is, and it only has about 800 miles on it. The engine looks pretty clean, but it doesnt run. I need some pointers on where to start to get this thing revving again. I know that it has been sitting for a while, so i was thinking that all the fluids should be exchanged. I'm assuming it takes premix, but im not sure, and if it does im not sure of what the ratio should be either. The plugs looked good, but I cant be sure about those either. The person who gave it to me said they had it running a couple years ago, but i think the issue is it just has been sitting for so long. If anyone can help me out with getting this thing started that would be awesome.

#2 ·
you should definetly get new plugs unless their like brand new and definetly clean the carbs, check for spark ( the coil could be bad) , check compression and check to see if the oil injection is functional and connected because if you dont then you wont know if you gotta mix gas or just fill the oil and gas tanks also replace the gas lines unless they look pretty new because they could be clogged or cracked but you should only need to do the main ones

good luck hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.