Snowmobile World banner

Please Help Track Ratcheting

7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  snowmutt 
#1 ·
I've recently purchased a used 2006 yamaha nytro (6000 miles). Last winter the track would ratchet if I pinned the throttle from a stand still position and also riding at high speed (3/4 throttle to full throttle). I had inspected my chaincase and all looks good. The teeth on my drive sprockets look to be in good shape. I tried tightening my track as much as I could. Still didnt solve it. There is an aftermarket track on it (a metal clip at every 3rd bar). Does anyone have any ideas that may solve my problem. It is so annoying when driving and wanting to have fun.

Thanks,

Nytro

#2 ·
Well, in my opinion the root of the problem is 4-stroke snowmobiles are too heavy. The weight has exceeded the capabilities of the track driver system. You ride a sled that is 150 to 200 pounds heavier than 2-stroke models. I'm not sure people understand what they are getting into with these 4-stroke sleds. The reality is, adding 50% more weight causes problems. Yamaha doesn't publish their weights anymore because they don't want you to know the truth.

The only time I've had a problem with ratcheting is when I bought a sled where the suspension has been relocated from its stock position (down, to increase ground clearance). The tips of the skid pull the track away from the driver, and then I got bad ratcheting. I cranked up the track tension so tight that I burned out a pair of hyfax in one day, but it did not solve the ratcheting problem. The only solution was relocating the skid, either back away from the drivers, or up into the tunnel.

Make sure the track is aligned *on the driver* not just on the skid. Since the track was replaced, the drivers may be off-center. Also, I've seen track drivers where the outer 2 drivers were spaced too far apart, they needed to be pressed back in about 1/4" on either side. There's really not much else to this. If your skid is already in stock position, I wouldn't advise moving it unless you are desperate.

Since it sounds like you have a "third window closed" track (the best track design for flotation), you can't use extrovert drivers unless you change the track. If all windows are open, you could use extrovert drivers. It's a huge job to change drivers, but that would be the only other solution. The number of clips have nothing to do with this. Running the track tight is not a real option. My 130HP 2-stroke sleds run the track extremely loose, and I never have ratcheting under any circumstances. I would switch to a better brand. If you are really sold on 4-strokes for some reason, they are all extremely heavy, but the other brands run about 50 pounds lighter. I owned a Yamaha and it ran forever, but in every other way it was junk. Long engine life is not the only measure of quality.

#4 ·
Measure your track pitch on the inside lugs, center to center of the lug ,front to front....it dosent matter.
The 3 window closed track started when camoplast made them for DOO ...99-00 time frame.
They are universal with the other brand cause they had the same track pitch 2.52. and then were made for all 4 manufactures and aftermarkets.
Then when the 4 stroke came out there was reason for changing to the 3" pitch on newer tracks and sleds.
Track technology has came along way in design to be lighter and give the performance for what the sled was meant to do...dose'nt matter if it's a 4 stroke "or" a 2 stroke .

You can measure the lugs on the driver too ... I bet he had a nice ripper on there and just toss a track on it to sell it.

If you have a 3" pitch drivers and there's 2.5 pitch track on it... it will skip..there's alot of torque on those lugs and just won't match up.
Lift it up and roll the track , watch the drivers meat the lugs ..shouldn't be any big gaps as they met. Over time of rotation you will see if there's the wrong track on there ..youll find that there's to many lugs on the 2.5 track if you have 3" drivers and one will start the skip . Add some toruqe and you will skip a few more.
If thats the case ...its a track change .

mutt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.