Snowmobile World banner

86 Phazor boggin/not always running amazing

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  alexk243 
#1 ·
ok, My Buddy has a 1986 Yamaha Phazor 480cc and after cleaning the carbs it occasionaly runs amazing...

on start up it runs amazing for about 10 mins, then it goes back to just ok. Bogs a little and wont go full speed. it runs this for a while. I tried putting on the choke and it almost died and wouldent go above 4000 rpm for a min or two then all of a sudden it ran amazing again.

We have cleaned the carbs and I am wondering if there is some other issue I am missing. I suspect the choke, but not sure how to remedy the issue.

#2 ·
Inspect the choke cable along it's entire length for any damage such as missing a piece of the outer cover or a kink of any kind. If the outer cover has a piece missing it could mean water has gotten in and caused some rust. You want the cable to move freely with no binding.

Seeing as how you have already inspected the choke plunger bores and the plungers themselves here is a procedure to set the choke cables. I assume the bottoms of the plungers were smooth with no corrosion or any buildup on them.

Set the choke lever to the full off position.

Loosen the adjustment locknut for the choke cables on both carburetors. Slide the rubber sleeve up the cable a bit.

Turn the cable adjuster clockwise on both carburetors until there is 1/4 inch or more of free play at the choke lever. You will see the free play by pulling straight out on the choke lever. Don't pull so hard that you start lifting the choke plungers. You will feel when the slack is out of the cable.

Turn the cable adjuster counterclockwise on one carburetor until choke toggle lever has zero free play. Then rotate adjuster nut clockwise until you have 1/8 to 3/16 inch free play at the lever. Tighten the adjuster locknut on that carb. Repeat procedure for remaining carb.

#3 ·
ok Thanks, Ill try that.

I did inspect them and there was no corrorision on the plunger or in the line and they appear to move very freely. It also appears that they are all the way closed then it is off so maybe they are just adjusted out of wack.

Ill let you know what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.