Snowmobile World banner

91 phazer belt

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  maybz 
#1 ·
Hello . I bought a phazer to play with and have a mid range bog 4-5000 rpm. I changed the belt and still have the bog but also now chattering or knocking in one of the clutches. I read in the manual that shimms should be put in between the sheaves of the secondary when a belt is replaced. Is this necesary. The machine runs great at top end just want to get rid of the bog and knock, before the kids start playing and pulling a ski boose. Thanks

#2 ·
i have never shimed between the sheaves only behind to adjust belt alignment i would suggest to clean the carbs up it sounds to me that the sled that u just bought will need a good carb cleaning as far as the knock i would start by flushing the primary clutch out with brake cleaner. Do this with the belt off and do not get a cleaner on the face of the sheaves where the belt rides the brake clean will absorb into the alumium and then wreak havoc on your next several belts. good luck

#3 ·
Thanks linny for the reply. I put a gates belt on instead of a OEM and noticed that the belt is sitting down in the secondary about 3-4 mm. I have ordered a OEM belt from yamaha to see if it will make a difference. I had already used brake cleaner and sprayed and cleaned what i could with out pulling out the primary. I do agree that the carbs may need cleaned out, as one of the jets could be clogged a little. When the Kids hockey slows down i will be doing the carbs

#4 ·
There's no need for a shimm in the sheaves, that just makes it easier to slip the belt in. You may have worn something down in the primary. Take it apart and have a look, particularly around the rollers.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I put on the OEM belt and went for a rip tonight. Still had the knocking in one of the clutches. Hard to tell which one. I can really feel it in my foot when it is doing it. I talked to a buddy and we are going to pull the primary and take a look when time allows. As for the bog it is still there but not as noticeable now. Running some high test gas through it before i pull the carbs

#8 ·
I got a cd manual today for the phazer. It says a new belt should sit 2 mm. below the secondary sheave.
Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it. I have the secondary off now, I will check the play on the jack shaft to see if their is bearing wear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.