Snowmobile World banner

1991 Yamaha exciter ii help

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  162Whiskey 
#1 ·
I have a 1991 exciter ii 570. The snowmobile seems to flood itself out when it idles. So if you sit with it idling the only way to ride it is to wait for awhile and try again. Also it doesn't seem to go fast enough. When i have the throttle wide open it goes about 60-65 mph and is running at around 6500 rpms. Just wondering what could be causing these things and if they are related. Thanks!!

#4 ·
i have a 92 and had a simmilar issue i would suggest cleaning the carbs and pay close attention to the bowls on the carbs there is a small hole in the top of the bowl flange that leads to the bottom of the bowl make sure you get that cleaned out along with the rest of the carb the float bowl is where my problem lied and had the exact same symptoms as u decribe Hope this helps

#5 ·
I was leaning toward carbs at first too, but the fact that it's affecting all speeds has me thinking it's more of an engine problem. The pilot jet and pilot air jet controls idle - 1/4 throttle fuel/air mixture, the needle jet controls 1/4 - 3/4 throttle, and the main controls 3/4 - full throttle. I agree that the floats and slide could be the culprit but USUALLY it tends to be the jets that get clogged and cause boggy issues.

To use the compression tester, take out both plugs, screw the tester into the hole, have the throttle wide open and the killswitch OFF, and pull it over 3 times. The peak reading is your compression for that cylinder. Do the same for the next.

#6 ·
Make sure the starter enriching (choke) system is not hanging up. That can make the engine run rich at every part of the range which won't allow great performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.